What's new

DD-WRT OpenVPN and Selective Routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeff146

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me as I have racked my brain for a few days or even a week and still can't figure it out.

I have the Netgear R7000 which has DD-WRT. I have setup OpenVPN to connect to PrivateInternetAccess.

I've got it working fine with that but when I try to reach my Synology (excluded from VPN) within my network using a DDNS (external address), I can't connect. When I use the local ip it's fine and I connect without issues. I can also connect no problem when outside my home network.

I was wondering if anyone has any insights?

I've tried custom scripts and iptables but nothing works.

If someone knows more about iptables then please help me as my head is hurting from it. I'm sure it's probably just a few lines of code but firewall scripting is definitely not my strong suit.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me as I have racked my brain for a few days or even a week and still can't figure it out.

I have the Netgear R7000 which has DD-WRT. I have setup OpenVPN to connect to PrivateInternetAccess.

I've got it working fine with that but when I try to reach my Synology (excluded from VPN) within my network using a DDNS (external address), I can't connect. When I use the local ip it's fine and I connect without issues. I can also connect no problem when outside my home network.

I was wondering if anyone has any insights?

I've tried custom scripts and iptables but nothing works.

If someone knows more about iptables then please help me as my head is hurting from it. I'm sure it's probably just a few lines of code but firewall scripting is definitely not my strong suit.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

This is normal behavior for many routers. Your internet IP Address in on the router's outside interface (WAN). If you try to connect to that IP address from inside your network some routers can't deal with the packet route from inside to outside to back inside again :D

With some technical wizardry you could run a DNS server on your LAN to redirect internally to the NAS.

The wierd thing though is it works when I'm not connected to the VPN via the OpenVPN client on the router

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The wierd thing though is it works when I'm not connected to the VPN via the OpenVPN client on the router

The VPN may be configured to run all traffic through the VPN gateway. See if you can configure the VPN to not use the remote gateway.

Yes I agree just looking into doing that and just wondering of there's any expertise out there that would know how to do it or even guide me on doing it

Do you setup openvpn over services/vpn/openvpn tab?

If yes selective routing is easy to setup

there is a field "Policy based Routing"

add there only the ip´s from your devices (status/lan) 1ip per line which should route over VPN then save and apply and restart router thats all all other devices go over your ISP connection

sorry for my bad english

Yes I have that setup and I have gotten it working with actually dnsmasq so that's good