What's new

Deciding keep WRT54G2 or go WRT160N any difference in operating temps..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

comfortablynumb

Occasional Visitor
I purchased a WRT54G2 V1.5 close to a month ago, if it wasn't for the heat generated from this unit I would be happy with it I think. Just sitting on my desk it gets really hot to the touch, and heats my desk up as well. When it gets really hot the speed seems to tank. I've had 2 instances so far where the speed tanks, I hook up my old router and my connection is fine. Once it cools down everything is alright.

I'm now debating before it's to late to return it and just jump up to N and get a Refurb 160N for about what I paid retail for the WRT54G2.
I'm wondering if it would run any cooler or will I still have the same heat issues do to this new case design Linksys has decided to go with.

The biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is various posts I've read on the 160N having some sort of DNS issues and redirecting to sites other then what was typed in. I know I could hard set each computer with
DNS servers to avoid this issue, but that is a tad bit of hassle.

My Connection is a 10Mbs/1mbs cable, 2 wired, 2 wireless computers.. general browsing, streaming, voip (skype)

Lastly anyone that's read any of my posts will know I've been through a few routers trying to determin what I want. I been through a Netgear wgr614 (numerous issues) also tried the Dlink 601, only had it plugged in a few hours not happy with the range, or anything at all about that router. I know a few people have recomended Asus routers I just can't seem to find many decent reviews on it's stock firmware so I'm not sure wether I want to try it or not.

I just want stable and something that's not going to run hot and tank and or require frequent resets..

The WRT54G2 uses a single-chip design, where the WRT160N uses a multi-chip. 11n tends to run hotter than 11g. But the multiple chips may spread the heat around more than the WRT54G2 does.

From the routers you mention, it seems like you're bargain hunting and suffering the effects.

I can't speak the the 160N's DNS issues, sorry. I'd give it a shot as long as you can return it. Or you could just try a D-Link DIR-655.

Thanks for the reply Tim, well my budge is pretty limited, my original goal was to stick with G as it is a mature technology. I was still under the impression that N was still to new of a technology, and may not be totally necessary for my typical use. Now I see I should of researched things better and set a more realistic goal on budget .. just been out of networking and computers in general for several years lots to catch up on.