What's new

Defining IP range for guest network on XT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

milkplus

New Around Here
Hello! New owner of a pair of XT8s and first time using Asus. I jumped ship from a Linksys Velop system which was honestly quite limiting in terms of features and am a little overwhelmed by what appears to be possible with my shiny new Asus router and node. Who knew there were so many options when it came to home networking!

What I'm hoping someone can help me with is that I'd like to set up 3 separate SSIDs - IoT - 2.4ghz, Devices (phones laptops, etc) - 2.4ghz/5ghz, Guest Network - 5ghz. I'm running firmware 3.0.0.4.386_26044 which, as I understand it, means that I can keep all my devices on the same subnet. This suits me well because what I'd like to achieve is to define an IP range for the guest network, e.g. 192.168.1.2-25. This will allow me to setup NMAP tracking in Home Assistant so that whenever a device is assigned an IP within this range, it will activate a 'Guest Mode' in Home Assistant and trigger/pause certain automations. I've been rooting around the router settings but can't seem to figure out if this is possible. The only way I can think to do it is to define the DHCP range of the main SSID (and name this the "Guest Network") and then assign manual addresses to every other device. This seems a little backwards though, so was wondering if anyone had any idea if what I want to achieve is possible?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!