What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Node UIs was never directly accessible, because they are centrally managed by the main router. That's the main point of AiMesh.
Thanks for the explanation sir!

I found a way to contribute a donation to @RMerlin and the others in the addon section using PayPal without a PayPal account. @jerry6 Just click on the PayPal link at the bottom left on https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ Fill out the information and don't check the "save information for next time" option. It works well! Problem solved. I feel kind of stupid though...:oops::D

Latest alpha installed via Dirty Upgrade over 386.7 with no issues observed.

Just skimmed 21 pages of this, for some reason I was hoping these newer 4 core cpu routers the AX86U and Pro have and hopefully with WG support, might start be able to benefit from my VPN provider adding WG support but first few pages pretty much kills that dream.

And also no kill switch on WG, is that even the case with an vpn providers clients software?

I have an RT-AC86u latest merlin, openvpn hits around 200-240Mb/s but using the windows vpn client software and same vpn server around 320-340Mb/s. WG with the same windows client software and vpn server around 350-370Mb/s.

Its sounding like openvpn is still the best, especially if the kill switch works.

I'm using Wireguard with VPN Director to direct devices I want through the VPN. What does 'Allowed IPs" mean, and does it apply to my basic requirements?

No I mean exactly what the reply says. Maybe you should reread it for better understanding because your response to the post is genuinely out of step with what the original message was.
Oh I read it very carefully I just fail to understand what you imply, technically, by "Not every connection is going to be as impervious as fiber. A similar asymmetric cable connection would easily buckle to the bottleneck produced by the routers insufficient arm processors having to respond without the aid of hardware acceleration." so I tried to guess and obviously failed.
The only difference between fiber and xDSL WAN endpoints, as far as the router is concerned, would be xDSL on copper having a lot of possible retransmissions due to noise/line attenuation (although a lot of that is in a different layer). I really don't understand why you think an asymmetric xDSL WAN connection would tax the ARM CPU any more than a fiber WAN connection if it's not due to retransmissions due to poor line conditions on copper. For all terms and purposes it's the same (PPP over Ethernet) in both cases. In fact fiber, being almost always a faster line, would be more taxing on the CPU, not less. Please elaborate?

I have no documentation at all about it. It can be manipulated through the "fc" userspace tool. At least one improvement over CTF is you can enable/disable it without the need to reboot. There are also more finer grained options, but there's no public documentation beyond the description labels shown by the fc tool.

I know that Broadcom does "special" support for IPSEC based on references I've seen in the past within the SDK. I also know that they recently did some CPU interrupt/timing tweaks in a recent SDK update to improve OpenVPN performance. So anyone's best chance is probably for them to eventually decide to support the WG protocol within fc, assuming this is even technically possible.
As a software engineering company, I have a contact in Broadcom since they bought LSI/Avago, I will see if an inquiry can bring any fruit otherwise reverse engineering it is. Thanks for pointing out the "fc" tool, it's a great starting point. If support is needed in FC then Broadcom would have to add it themselves indeed but perhaps we can patch the wireguard module in a way that is compatible while not breaking implementation or cripple performance.

And also no kill switch on WG, is that even the case with an vpn providers clients software?
You don't need a kill switch on WG. The interface does not go down in case the other side is unreachable so no traffic bound for the tunnel can leak. You just get loss of connectivity, like using a kill switch.

I'm using Wireguard with VPN Director to direct devices I want through the VPN. What does 'Allowed IPs" mean, and does it apply to my basic requirements?
"Allowed IPs" in WG terms does 2 things. First it's what is allowed to go through. Subnets not defined there will be discarded on the other end. Secondly it adds routes to the interface for said subnets. So, for example, for routing all traffic through the tunnel, the configuration is "0.0.0.0/0, ::/0"

updated another AX56U as AnAimesh to alpha latest one, hard one to achieve I guess.
Will climb up there tomorrow to manually reboot.

Updated 2 AX88U from one Alpha1 to other, no issues so mentioned so far.

Just flashed the latest A1 AX58U. Dirty flash all working good.

Been up 6 hrs, now, on an RT-AX3000 after a dirty upgrade from RT-AX58U_388.1_alpha1-g89b92e5ff6 to RT-AX58U_388.1_alpha1-g5fb71044da, no issues so far.

"Allowed IPs" in WG terms does 2 things. First it's what is allowed to go through. Subnets not defined there will be discarded on the other end. Secondly it adds routes to the interface for said subnets. So, for example, for routing all traffic through the tunnel, the configuration is "0.0.0.0/0, ::/0"
Okay I'm a little confused. If I use a CDIR for a VPN Redirect instruction, is that the same thing as the allowed IPs? Is the way I'm doing it acceptable? When I plugged my CIDR in the allowed IPs field, it stopped the other redirects I have, like it replaced what I was currently doing. Am I right this is a duplication of VPN Redirect?

Okay I'm a little confused. If I use a CDIR for a VPN Redirect instruction, is that the same thing as the allowed IPs?
This is 2 different things, but I understand its abit confusing.
AllowedIPs are Wireguards internal routing scheme. It should contain which destination ips that is reached over the tunnel. For an internet client it would be 0.0.0.0/0 as all destinations are reachable and this will cause wg to overtake your internet(default) route. For i.e a site-2-site it may only be other side wg interface and other side lan, I.e 10.50.1.2/32, 192.168.51.0/24 and thus only setup routes to these networks.
It also serves as a protection. Other destinations are not allowed over the tunnel.

VPNDirector are policy routing. This is typically source based, like only a specific source ip should use vpn tunnel.

So these are 2 different things and have nothing to do with each other. AllowedIPs will become routes in routing table (which is destination based) and VPNdirector will become routing rules (which is/can be source based).

Went straight from 386.7_2 to 388.1_alpha1-g5fb71044da, no unusual errors in the log so far and Wireguard Client works as expected.

Thanks for your effort, RMerlin.
Did you happen to compare the Wireguard vs. OpenVPN client's speed ceiling differences, while keeping everything else (WAN, ISP, VPN provider) constant ? I'm really looking forward to switching to WG with the hope that the speed ceiling will be higher especially for the AX-58U (that's a little low for my liking with OpenVPN, specific to AX-58U).

Thanks for reporting, and to Merlin, of course.

Did you happen to compare the Wireguard vs. OpenVPN client's speed ceiling differences, while keeping everything else (WAN, ISP, VPN provider) constant ? I'm really looking forward to switching to WG with the hope that the speed ceiling will be higher especially for the AX-58U (that's a little low for my liking with OpenVPN, specific to AX-58U).

Thanks for reporting, and to Merlin, of course.

@RMerlin thanks for the AX58U alpha, out of curiosity I've been waiting for it to try wireguard.

Just putting up a few comparison speed tests up.

I have a 500Gb symmetrical fibre connection over PPPoE to my ISP.

I use Astrill VPN as a client to the outside world and all tests are to the same host server.

Win11 PC no VPN
win11novpn.jpg

Win11 PC Astrill WG client
astrillwin11pcclient.jpg

AX58U OpenVPN
ax58uovpn.jpg

AX58U WireGuard
ax58urwg.jpg

So even on this relatively low powered AX58U WireGuard is over 3 times faster than OpenVPN

This is 2 different things, but I understand its abit confusing.
AllowedIPs are Wireguards internal routing scheme. It should contain which destination ips that is reached over the tunnel. For an internet client it would be 0.0.0.0/0 as all destinations are reachable and this will cause wg to overtake your internet(default) route. For i.e a site-2-site it may only be other side wg interface and other side lan, I.e 10.50.1.2/32, 192.168.51.0/24 and thus only setup routes to these networks.
It also serves as a protection. Other destinations are not allowed over the tunnel.

VPNDirector are policy routing. This is typically source based, like only a specific source ip should use vpn tunnel.

So these are 2 different things and have nothing to do with each other. AllowedIPs will become routes in routing table (which is destination based) and VPNdirector will become routing rules (which is/can be source based).
Thank you for the explanation sir! It makes sense now.

You don't need a kill switch on WG. The interface does not go down in case the other side is unreachable so no traffic bound for the tunnel can leak. You just get loss of connectivity, like using a kill switch.
It depends a bit on the implementation if the router is up and after that the tunnel starts you can have a window where traffic escapes through the WAN before the tunnel is up, and if there is an error in the WG setup the tunnel might not function at all.
So although you do not need a kill switch as bad as you need it with OpenVPN , I still can imagine it is useful (also for peace of mind :) )

I have ax58u and 1Gbit, is there a way to achieve full bandwith with qos? With qos enabled I get max 600mbit, with disabled 920, and additionally with disabled AIprotection around 960. Is it normal behaviour or mine asus is faulty?

I have ax58u and 1Gbit, is there a way to achieve full bandwith with qos? With qos enabled I get max 600mbit, with disabled 920, and additionally with disabled AIprotection around 960. Is it normal behaviour or mine asus is faulty?
Yes, this is the expected behavior.

Is this new? I've never setup any port forwarding, but I've checked here a lot and I've never seen this until now. Does it hurt? What is it's function?

ASUS-Wireless-Router-RT-AX88U-Port-Forwarding.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!