What's new

DIR-825, WNDR3700/37AV, E3000 or TpLink 1043WN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freeexi

New Around Here
Hi there

I need to buy a new router because my old D-Link DI-624 isn't able to provide good wireless performance :D

Now i'm a bit confused, because after some searches every router seems to have major issues or flaws, as there isn't any product that can be both reliable, performant and stable at one time.

So, the models i searched for are:

1) Netgear WNDR-3700 (or 37AV)
2) D-Link DIR-825
3) Linksys E3000
4) TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

As you can see i added even a cheap model from TP-Link thinking: "If whole routers has issues, then at least keep away from wasting moneys".

My needs are just basic: i'd like to share video from an external HDD attached to the router, but i don't need MOSTER FAST rates, 9-10MB/s in reading/writing would be enough. I don't want to share files via uPNP but as it was a normal shared folder. Of course if i can gain faster rates, i won't complain at all.

I tought to exclude the D-Link because i cannot check the revision before to buy it, and i saw in a review here on SNB that the performance drop significantly using the latest version.

I thought to buy the Linksys at first, but then i read it has poor performance on the USB port. But again, what does "poor performance" mean?

So after reading the WNR3700's review found here at SNB i tought it could be good, but i've read that the WNR3700 has major issues too, even if i didn't undestand what these issues are.

The last thought was to take the TP-Link and flash it to DD-WRT firmware, but i don't know the differences in terms of performance between dual band (5 GHz) and single band (2.4 Ghz) routers. Is it too much? Consider that i have just one WiFi N device in my home (my notebook with an Intel 5100), otherwise there are only wirelessG devices.

I hope that your suggestions will help my mind to get clearer ideas cous i'd like to buy my new router before Christmas!

Thank you so much

You will find negative comments about every product that is made. What is one person's "major issue" won't matter at all to another person. I have not experienced problems with any router I've ever used (ok, well, I did have a DIR-655 die after about a month).

For drive sharing speeds, check our reviews. We usually do a quick file copy check on the speed. Keep in mind, though, most people have problems streaming HD video wirelessly. Throughput just isn't stable enough in general to provide the 20+ Mbps that HD streams need.

Alternate firmware generally provides more features, but doesn't improve wired or wireless performance. 5 GHz has lower range than 2.4 GHz because the higher frequency radio signals are attenuated more when passing through physical obstacles (walls, floors).

Starting cheap and seeing if a product works for you is as good a strategy as any. Just buy from places with good return policies and return products in good shape.

Alternate firmware generally provides more features, but doesn't improve wired or wireless performance. 5 GHz has lower range than 2.4 GHz because the higher frequency radio signals are attenuated more when passing through physical obstacles (walls, floors).
/QUOTE]

I don't think range could a problem for normal size homes, see my experience , eventhough router is 200+ feets across the road, but I still get good enough speed. Although it's 2.4 Ghz, with 5Ghz it could have been less.

ok guys, thank you for the answers. :) Do you have specific experience with the TP-Link 1043ND?

Because i'm thinking to buy this one (it costs about half the price of any other router mentioned here, around 50 €) and pair it with an entry level Gigabit NAS such as ICY BOX NAS4210-B. :D

Other well featured routers in this price range? I've tried the Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti High Power Router (G300NH) but i didn't like it so...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!