What's new

Diversion Diversion on ASUS-Merlin in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RRands

Occasional Visitor
I have a mesh set up with Merlin FW running on it, but it is in AP mode. I wanted to use Diversion on it, and just set my client's DNS server address to the IP of the primary mesh node (192.168.1.2 in my case), however in reading the docs (and in the pre-req check), it is not supported on AP mode, because not "all the software" is installed. So a couple of questions (adding @thelonelycoder for possible comment, too...):

1. Is "all the software" inclusive of DNSMasq or something, or what is missing?
2. is there a way to get this to work in my config, or am I out of luck?
3. If Diversion will in fact not work, any suggestions on something suitable for ad-blocking that will work in my setup?

Thank you!

Depending on the set router mode, some functions are not available. Diversion can only work if the router is in router mode.
There is no way around it.

I have a mesh set up with Merlin FW running on it, but it is in AP mode. I wanted to use Diversion on it, and just set my client's DNS server address to the IP of the primary mesh node (192.168.1.2 in my case), however in reading the docs (and in the pre-req check), it is not supported on AP mode, because not "all the software" is installed. So a couple of questions (adding @thelonelycoder for possible comment, too...):

1. Is "all the software" inclusive of DNSMasq or something, or what is missing?
2. is there a way to get this to work in my config, or am I out of luck?
3. If Diversion will in fact not work, any suggestions on something suitable for ad-blocking that will work in my setup?

Thank you!

3. In the absence of Diversion, you might experiment with Adguard as your system DNS.

Depending on the set router mode, some functions are not available. Diversion can only work if the router is in router mode.
There is no way around it.
Thank you - possible to work if I put it in Router mode, install Diversion and then set back to AP mode, do you think?

Thank you - possible to work if I put it in Router mode, install Diversion and then set back to AP mode, do you think?
You don't have control of the router? Or do you want to block adds on for a range of IP addresses on your network?

You don't have control of the router? Or do you want to block adds on for a range of IP addresses on your network?
the Asus is behind a router (and is acting as an AP), but the router will not support Diversion...

Switch them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!