• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Joshuajackson

Regular Contributor
Is there any way to get Diversion working while having a different DNS such as 9.9.9.9? I dont want my providers DNS if i change it i start to see ads again.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Is there any way to get Diversion working while having a different DNS such as 9.9.9.9? I dont want my providers DNS if i change it i start to see ads again.
You should be putting 9.9.9.9 under the WAN DNS settings, not the LAN DHCP DNS settings (those should be empty), then Diversion will work fine with any upstream DNS provider.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Hi I am a relative novice to user script addons and up until now I had only enabled a number of custom addons thanks to the use of an automated solution using a "script bootloader" which I have been using successfully on an AX88U running Merlin 384.17 for several months (see here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...with-asuswrt-merlin-384-12.57270/#post-500681 for brief details and GitHub link).

As my experience with this addon solution has thus far been good it made me keen to explore other advanced features and hence I discovered the highly regarded Diversion (& also Skynet). However, as the above Script Bootloader has already installed some of the pre-requisite items (Entware is a particular example) and as I wish to avoid any installation conflict which may in the process disable the function of either my existing addons or Diversion (or indeed both!) as an unintended consequence.

I would therefore very much appreciate some expert guidance from users familiar with the Diversion install process in respect of any effect it may have on my existing installs/install file structure and how best to achieve a trouble free installation which integrates both aspects such that they run concurrently without either disrupting the function of the other as a result of invoking the automated install command.

Many thanks to all in advance for any help offered :) and to thelonelycoder for the huge commitment involved to develop such a highly regarded network level Ad Blocking solution !!

Regards,

PC Pilot

There is no way anyone is bored enough to examine what the many ramifications will be from using this 'script bootloader' today when RMerlin firmware is officially using amtm. :)

Take a backup of your current configuration, including the JFFS partition, and/or better yet, use a new USB drive too.

Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot and make sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of that page. Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so (waiting 5 to 10 minutes before the next reboot).

After doing the above, amtm will already be installed on the router. Use amtm to properly format the USB drive as Ext4, with journalling. Install the DC (Disk Checker) script. Install a swap file (2GB is my suggestion). Install Diversion which will properly install Entware too.

From here, you should do a new/clean install of every script you require.

The above is the best way today to ensure you're not causing issues for yourself and your router/network needlessly. Feel free to look at the link in my signature below for further info.

HTH. :)

Asad Ali

Very Senior Member
It doesnt block ads

It's not supposed to block ads, it's just a way to change your WAN DNS.

Make sure your LAN DNS fields are empty.
Also on LAN->DNSFilter page enable global filtering mode and set it to Router.

Joshuajackson

Regular Contributor
It's not supposed to block ads, it's just a way to change your WAN DNS.

Make sure your LAN DNS fields are empty.
Also on LAN->DNSFilter page enable global filtering mode and set it to Router.
Bro I'm saying is that before Diversion was blocking ads with my providers DNS. Now when I changed the DNS it does not block ads anymore. Do you get me now????

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Bro I'm saying is that before Diversion was blocking ads with my providers DNS. Now when I changed the DNS it does not block ads anymore. Do you get me now????
Then you've got something in the wrong place. Post screenshots of your WAN DNS settings, LAN DHCP Server DNS settings and LAN DNSFilter settings.

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Here, srry for bad image quality currently figuring out my pc issues so I cant install any programs atm
http://imgur.com/a/LS0jd0v

Settings look good. What browsers/machines show ads? Have they renewed their DHCP leases? Try putting them in airplane mode or unplugging the network cable temporarily to force a DHCP renew. Make sure any browsers aren’t auto-enabling DNS-over-HTTPS.

Joshuajackson

Regular Contributor
Settings look good. What browsers/machines show ads? Have they renewed their DHCP leases? Try putting them in airplane mode or unplugging the network cable temporarily to force a DHCP renew. Make sure any browsers aren’t auto-enabling DNS-over-HTTPS.
I've used my fire stick to test it before It never showed any ads now it always shows ads

Mutzli

Very Senior Member
Today I had to turn off YT ad-blocking. The YouTube app on our iPhones/iPads completely failed. It was like the app had a seizure (flickering black video screen). The YT list included 321 entries and after turning ad-blocking off the YouTube app worked again. Never had any issues on the SmartTV, Roku app and Android phones. To fix the problem all I had to do is a reset (option 2) now it works again. I don't know if a certain googlevideo domain caused this issue or something else. Just wanted to let you know if anyone else experiences this problem.

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Today I had to turn off YT ad-blocking. The YouTube app on our iPhones/iPads completely failed. It was like the app had a seizure (flickering black video screen). The YT list included 321 entries and after turning ad-blocking off the YouTube app worked again. Never had any issues on the SmartTV, Roku app and Android phones. To fix the problem all I had to do is a reset (option 2) now it works again. I don't know if a certain googlevideo domain caused this issue or something else. Just wanted to let you know if anyone else experiences this problem.
I'm not experiencing your issue. But, I don't fully understand how Diversion is picking up data to block YT ads; how often it's updating the blocking list (i.e. why I'm seeing the same Epoch Times ad over different videos and separated by hours of time, and is there anything I can do to hasten the YT blocking feature's effectiveness. The fact that I don't understand the previous is, of course, no statement on the effectiveness of the feature or the efforts of the code's author. I'm just saying...

Asad Ali

Very Senior Member

Youtube had a slight hick-up today for a few minutes and it went down almost all over the world, I believe what you experienced was just due to that.

Sptz

Occasional Visitor
Anyone knows how to whitelist the amazon app? Can't use it whatsoever, any section shows an error.
Screenshot_20200515-132615.jpg

klingon888

Occasional Visitor
Anyone knows how to whitelist the amazon app? Can't use it whatsoever, any section shows an error.View attachment 23488

I had to WL the following. There may be more. Choose option "f" in Diversion to trace the blacklisted domains if it occurs again.

device-metrics-us.amazon.com
c.amazon-adsystem.com
fls-na.amazon.com - for UK, you may have to chg this to fls-eu.amazon.com or need both
aan.amazon.com

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!