What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, thank you for making this wonderful software, i just migrated from Pihole (on a raspberry pi) to Diversion on a RT-AC68U router.
I have a question regarding the block list compatibility. Is it possible to use Diversion with the following blocklists?:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Perflyst/PiHoleBlocklist/master/SmartTV.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/crazy-max/WindowsSpyBlocker/master/data/hosts/spy.txt
I have tried adding them via "2. Customize hosts list" option under " 1. Change composition Medium fs" without success.

Do you have the dnsmasq settings enabled? There were changes made to dnsmasq. Sorry I have to admit I'm guessing now..:oops:

That's it! Thank you! :):):)

Edit: Apparently too early. Too bad. Unfortunately advertising is still displayed in my browsers.

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for making this wonderful software, i just migrated from Pihole (on a raspberry pi) to Diversion on a RT-AC68U router.
I have a question regarding the block list compatibility. Is it possible to use Diversion with the following blocklists?:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Perflyst/PiHoleBlocklist/master/SmartTV.txt
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/crazy-max/WindowsSpyBlocker/master/data/hosts/spy.txt
I have tried adding them via "2. Customize hosts list" option under " 1. Change composition Medium fs" without success.
https://diversion.ch/diversion/use/blocking-file-hosts-files.html

Apparently too early. Too bad. Unfortunately advertising is still displayed in my browsers.

Sod’s Law: it’s fatal to reply and thank someone for helping to fix a problem. 2 thoughts:

1. In DNSFilter, now on the LAN page, turn it on and set the Global Mode to Router, if not already.

And if that doesn’t work or doesn’t give you a good clue in the troubleshooting process then:

2. I would consider reverting to 384.7_2 or whatever was your previous firmware - only as a troubleshooting step - and see it that fixed it and the try and figure what changed.

Apparently too early. Too bad. Unfortunately advertising is still displayed in my browsers.
Do you run your traffic through a vpn?

I decided to take the plunge with 4.0.5, read "Better sleep routine for Dnsmasq when initializing Diversion". I also disabled 'dnsmasq settings', leaving it to default. One or the other seems to have fixed the ongoing diversion/dnsmasq restart issues. Great, great work!

Any way to implement an option to exclude specific LAN IP's queries from the dnsmasq log records? In practice, would be nice for VPN clients using "exclusive" DNS, or that you just want private period.

Last edited:
Any way to implement an option to exclude specific LAN IP's queries from the dnsmasq log records? In practice, would be nice for VPN clients using "exclusive" DNS, or that you just want private period.
No, I'm not aware of a way, it's a logfile, it logs things, the log is private AFAIK. You could use sed to periodically remove specific entries, though doing so would require to send a SIGHUP or a complete restart of Dnsmasq everytime you'd do it.

Hopefully it isn't too dumb of a question. I played around with Pihole for a little bit. How does this compare? Same concept but done differently?

Hopefully it isn't too dumb of a question. I played around with Pihole for a little bit. How does this compare? Same concept but done differently?
Same concept by blocking by host name, better by not requiring a separate device to run it on, even better by using proper https ad-blocking with pixelserv-tls.
IMHO the best router based ad-blocker by far, and it's free, just as Pi-Hole is ;).

Same concept by blocking by host name, better by not requiring a separate device to run it on, even better by using proper https ad-blocking with pixelserv-tls.
IMHO the best router based ad-blocker by far, and it's free, just as Pi-Hole is ;).

Definitely going to give it a try next time I have some free time to mess with it. Thanks!

I need some help. With ab-solution I was able to whitelist sites following logs to detect what I need to unlock. Now I use medium blocking file but I can't login to facebook on my android devices. I'm searching into the dnsmasq log but I can't find anything. What's wrong?

Last edited:
I need some help. With ab-solution I was able to whitelist sites following logs to detect what I need to unlock. Now I use medium blocking file but I can't login to facebook on my android devices. I'm searching into the dnsmasq log but I can't find anything. What's wrong?
Also I can't read well text following the log, some text has the same color as background.
That is a massive issue for me too, being older with bad eyesight with colors. I've tried changing all the colors in my linux terminal but it is still dark gray on black, totally impossible.

Search this thread for Android and Facebook. Should see about ten results.

Reserved post

Look at those stats, marvellous... I don't know how you created such an awesome tool, but I can't stop thanking you for it. Cheers :)

8UiK6xw.jpg

Sod’s Law: it’s fatal to reply and thank someone for helping to fix a problem. 2 thoughts:

1. In DNSFilter, now on the LAN page, turn it on and set the Global Mode to Router, if not already.

And if that doesn’t work or doesn’t give you a good clue in the troubleshooting process then:

2. I would consider reverting to 384.7_2 or whatever was your previous firmware - only as a troubleshooting step - and see it that fixed it and the try and figure what changed.

Well, I guess I was able to locate the "error" that isn't actually a error myself. I am using Firefox Developer Edition with the following features enabled: Secure DNS, DNSSEC, TLS 1.3 and Encrypted SNI. Apparently Diversion does not work with these settings. Nevertheless, I thank you for your help! What I don't understand, though, is "Sod's Law". Maybe someone will explain it to me in German. :eek:

:)

What I don't understand, though, is "Sod's Law". Maybe someone will explain it to me in German. :eek:

:)

Sods Gesetz (engl.: Sod's law) ist eine Lebensweisheit, die besagt, dass, wenn eine Sache schiefgehen kann, sie auch schiefgehen wird. Die Phrase ist

Sods Gesetz (engl.: Sod's law) ist eine Lebensweisheit, die besagt, dass, wenn eine Sache schiefgehen kann, sie auch schiefgehen wird. Die Phrase ist

“If something goes wrong, it will take a different twist” [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an issue a short while since wherby my USB became corrupt, so I've reinstalled everything fresh. I was going to use my Diversion backups to restore my blocking lists etc but it seems every backup I've been sent, the tar.gz file is corrupt / empty (according to winzip / winrar

Am I basically having to start again from scratch, or is this a known bug with a workaround I'm too simple to see staring me in the face?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!