What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded successfully to Diversion from AB. No problems whatsoever.
Thanks for your work!!

I was reading another forum regarding disk speed and responsiveness, and they said it did make a difference. As I add more apps and functions (amtm, skynet, swap disk etc) it may become an issue, and I have the new usb drive ready to go. I also wonder how the old one will go as I increase the size/number of block files, whitelists etc. These things tend to get slower over time rather than faster.

I also don't need the usb3 port (as far as I know) as I already have a networked server on 24/7, so I am not sure what value using a usb3 port would have except for apps running on the router. No intention of using 4g usb modem at present.

I also think it is fairly important to have an uninstall/removal feature and have it documented. I believe it was available in ab-solution. I appreciate the work done and understand that Diversion is a work in progress, but perhaps it might be worth telling people that there is no uninstall/downgrade path (as yet????). I would not have upgraded so readily if it was obvious this feature was not available. As it was I installed it all on an old usb to test, found it worked well, but now want to put it all on a faster newer stick.

It is no issue to reinstall diversion, I am just wondering whether removing the usb stick will cause internal settings of the router to mean it won't connect to the internet properly. I really don't want to have to reset the router and re-enter all my fixed IP addresses and other settings again, although I do recall backing up the router config files when I upgraded to 386.6 recently.

Preferring not to nuke the install just yet if there is a simple way foward.

In d you‘ll find the uninstall fuction.

In d you‘ll find the uninstall fuction.
Thanks, that worked, sorry I didn't see it before. I have reinstalled and everything looking good. I installed amtm first, and that seems good although I am having trouble with skynet but that is another issue. I am reinstalling that separately.
And I made a little donation for all the hard work and prompt response. I appreciate that I need a lot of patient help.
Overall, the features this provides are better than a lot of paid software so happy to kick in a little.

Last edited:
I just did a fresh install of Diversion and so far no issues.

Question
: Can I now install dnscrypt without causing any issues?

I just did a fresh install of Diversion and so far no issues.

Question
: Can I now install dnscrypt without causing any issues?
Yep!! Update AMTM and go...:cool:

Question: Can I now install dnscrypt without causing any issues?

Yep!! Update AMTM and go...:cool:

at least no issues from Diversion. Can't say dnscrypt won't give you problems :)

I'm hoping that in upgrading to this Diversion some people are upgrading their f/w and redoing their installs.
It already seems that some people are finding dnscrypt finicky (see my earlier post).
People seemed uninterested or unbelieving of my issues in the dnscrypt thread - maybe now enough people are seeing issues that we can get some answers...

at least no issues from Diversion. Can't say dnscrypt won't give you problems :)

I'm hoping that in upgrading to this Diversion some people are upgrading their f/w and redoing their installs.
It already seems that some people are finding dnscrypt finicky (see my earlier post).
People seemed uninterested or unbelieving of my issues in the dnscrypt thread - maybe now enough people are seeing issues that we can get some answers...
I do not have the issues you have, however you have my interest and I am following my system dns very closely. I have had no dnscrypt crashes of any kind nor can I make it crash. Still testing!

Consumer router are originally designed not for custom firmware and additional daemon/app to run with in.
You do no want to have swap file despite people advising you that you should have it and you complain daemon crushing.
What you want others to advise or help?

I do not have the issues you have, however you have my interest and I am following my system dns very closely. I have had no dnscrypt crashes of any kind nor can I make it crash. Still testing!
I have zero issues with dnscrypt here. Maybe it was an unlucky interaction with dnscrypt, while porting my settings during the install of Diversion, restarting dnsmasq due to changes made, which caused WAN connectivity to be lost, but as I started fresh I cannot confirm nor deny that. Having said that, when I started fresh, I installed Diversion first, followed by amtm and from there created a swap file, installed pixelserv-tls beta, Skynet and dnscrypt. All is running without any issue whatsoever. And trust me, if dnscrypt goes down here, the whole house goes nuts here and I have no other option to activate a local state of cyber defcon 1 (basically meaning I get to hide in the basement to remotely try to get everything up and running again as fast as I can...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @thelonelycoder. thanks for your effort.

I have to modify your default postmount scripts to enable swap before service starts (before rc.unslung in post-mount.div), some services did not start at boot time. Is this correct?

edit: in post-mount script I have also kept the line "swapon /opt/swap 2>/dev/null" because it's required by Skynet.

Last edited:
thelonelycoder, thanks again for all your work! I upgraded to Diversion 4 from AB3 and so far so good. I know you are busy at the moment, but I wanted to ask if you will eventually replace AB with Diversion in AMTM?

Kev

thelonelycoder, thanks again for all your work! I upgraded to Diversion 4 from AB3 and so far so good. I know you are busy at the moment, but I wanted to ask if you will eventually replace AB with Diversion in AMTM?

Kev
Just run update in AMTM!

skeal, I did that first before anything, and AMTM showed AB in the first option. Interestingly enough, after installing Diversion then rebooting, bringing up AMTM now shows Diversion instead. I guess if I have to setup a new router from scratch, Diversion will be the option available in AMTM (latest version of course). I just wanted to verify this is the case.

On a sidenote, I had some issues with internet connection when I initially updated to Diversion without checking auto dns first. Then I checked auto dns, reinstalled Diversion, then disabled auto dns, and now everything seems OK.

Also I had some really slow browsing at first when I installed pixelserv beta (using Chrome). Seems like it's OK now that I reinstalled it after fixing Diversion.

I've read a lot about dnscrypt not always playing nice with Diversion.

"Known issue"
"If you use a dnscrypt-proxy, change WAN DNS to Auto before installing Diversion 4.0."

I have recently installed the Merlin LTS fork (V34E3) by @john9527 on my RT-N66U and I am using the built in DNS over TLS feature. (cloudfare 1.1.1.1)

With DNS over TLS (which i think uses something called Stubby) is it necessary for me to "change WAN DNS to Auto" before installing Diversion ?

Would my router still use 1.1.1.1 over TLS if I set WAN DNS to auto ?

Thank You

With DNS over TLS (which i think uses something called Stubby) is it necessary for me to "change WAN DNS to Auto" before installing Diversion ?
Someone will need to test and confirm, but I think you won't need to change to Auto. When I first start up on the fork, you are using your selected DoT servers, but TLS isn't actually activated until the clock has been set by ntp.

Someone will need to test and confirm, but I think you won't need to change to Auto. When I first start up on the fork, you are using your selected DoT servers, but TLS isn't actually activated until the clock has been set by ntp.
Wow that was a fast reply :)
OK I will just install it and see what happens, not sure how i check everything is ok after.
I have dnssec and rebind protection all enable too so the cloudfare test website is not accurate anyway.
I'll have a play o_O

Thanks @john9527

Hi @thelonelycoder. thanks for your effort.
You're welcome. I just have a feeling that Diversion 1.0 is well past the effort stage.
Hi @thelonelycoderI have to modify your default postmount scripts to enable swap before service starts (before rc.unslung in post-mount.div), some services did not start at boot time. Is this correct?
Its best to have it before this line:
Code:
. /jffs/scripts/post-mount.div # Added by Diversion
I'll add a check in a coming update.
Hi @thelonelycoderedit: in post-mount script I have also kept the line "swapon /opt/swap 2>/dev/null" because it's required by Skynet.
Nowhere in Skynet, amtm or Diversion/AB-Solution do we require for the output to be sent to /dev/null.
We all use the same code and only use this, with a varying comment string:
Code:
"swapon ${device}/myswap.swp # Skynet Firewall Addition"

skeal, I did that first before anything, and AMTM showed AB in the first option. Interestingly enough, after installing Diversion then rebooting, bringing up AMTM now shows Diversion instead. I guess if I have to setup a new router from scratch, Diversion will be the option available in AMTM (latest version of course). I just wanted to verify this is the case.

On a sidenote, I had some issues with internet connection when I initially updated to Diversion without checking auto dns first. Then I checked auto dns, reinstalled Diversion, then disabled auto dns, and now everything seems OK.

Also I had some really slow browsing at first when I installed pixelserv beta (using Chrome). Seems like it's OK now that I reinstalled it after fixing Diversion.
If AB-Solution is still installed, then AB-Solution is shown in the menu in amtm v1.3. If not, it either shows to open Diversion or the install option of it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!