What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@thelonelycoder Congrats on the new build..been greatly looking forward this!

I had one question..where is the new location of the custom hosts file?.. (where we add addresses of additional hosts' lists we want to add)..

You directly modify the hosts file in b. An editor is built in. Once the file is edited, your blocking file type changes automatically to Custom.

I had one question..where is the new location of the custom hosts file?
/mnt/Your USB name/entware/share/diversion/list/hostslist

@thelonelycoder Thanks is perfect! and it was super easy to configure it.

aksrcEd.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed ab-solution last week as a test. Upgraded to Diversion, works really well, thanks for the effort.
But, I now have a better usb drive. Original was usb 2.0 in 2.0 port, but now I want usb3 stick in usb port of rt68u. Best way to reinstall on the new usb3 stick? I though uninstall and just go again, but I cannot find uninstall command in diversion. Is there such a command? Or can I just untick the jffs scripts box on the router, unmount, power down and remove usb2 stick, restart and put in new stick in usb3 port and install fresh?

I would prefer not to copy data across, and as my install is still fresh and unmolested, a fresh install loses nothing ,and my pc is windows and not good with ext2

Thanks.

where is the new location of the custom hosts file?.. (where we add addresses of additional hosts' lists we want to add)..

Custom hosts can be added through the UI in Diversion. You simply add a list by entering
[b] Blocking file,
[1] Change composition .. ,
[2] Customize hosts list,
[1] Add hosts list, paste the url pointing to the custom hosts list you want to use, followed by [e] to exit.

Diversion will now prompt you to update it's blocking list, which you confirm by entering [1] (all without the brackets...).

The lists are stored in /opt/share/diversion/list/. The (custom) hosts list appears to be stored in /opt/shared/diversion/list/hostslist.

Edit:Will I ever learn to refresh the page prior to responding? I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgraded from AB to Diversion last night with no issue. The Medium list is gone so I changed to Standard. Will I notice much of a difference?

Thank you!

I have noticed one small issue in the code regarding the stats - specifically iphostleases generation.
On my system at least, /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases, has a couple of entries with "*" as the hostname.

When run thru awk, * is expanded to the full list of files in my home dir (rather than hostname obviously).

As best I can see in in rotate-logs.div, functions.div & stats.div:
Code:
awk -v var="$i" -F' ' '$3 == var{print $3, $4}' /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
Works ok with a preceeding "set -f" and then following "set +f" to stop globbing.

Other than that, I'm loving it thanks @thelonelycoder. An amazing amount of work you've put in. Thankyou.

EDIT: Notice this is just in in backup folder, so may not really be relevant.

Last edited:
I'm trying to use Amazon App, but I can't when Diversion is enabled. Once Diversion is enabled Amazon app. Says "oops, there's something wrong in our side" BUT if I change ISP to 4G or use my ISP with Diversion disabled it works just fine.

I cannot figure out what is causung the issue because nothing appears in the log and amazon.com y not blocked at all.

Using Standard pre-defined list

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

I'm trying to use Amazon App, but I can't when Diversion is enabled. Once Diversion is enabled Amazon app. Says "oops, there's something wrong in our side" BUT if I change ISP to 4G or use my ISP with Diversion disabled it works just fine.

I cannot figure out what is causung the issue because nothing appears in the log and amazon.com y not blocked at all.

Using Standard pre-defined list

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

I just uninstalled completely, then installed Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu, then installed Diversion from there and then installed the beta version of pixelserv-tls, now Amazon app works fine.

I just uninstalled completely, then installed Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu, then installed Diversion from there and then installed the beta version of pixelserv-tls, now Amazon app works fine.

Nice tip! Pixelserv beta solved the issue!
UPDATE: Nope, issue still there :(

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos
There are many guides on how to trace and whitelist domain with pixelserv-tls and ab-solution now known as Diversion.
Regards this amazon stuff.. just try searching for it.

I had the same problem, and had to whitelist some domains (in addition to the default whitelisted domains to support SNB forums). Unfortunately, I didn't record which of the following made the difference, but with these whitelisted (in Diversion and Skynet), the app works for me.

device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.de
fls-na.amazon.com
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
z-na.amazon-adsystem.com

There are many guides on how to trace and whitelist domain with pixelserv-tls and ab-solution now known as Diversion.
Regards this amazon stuff.. just try searching for it.
If you still have some link to that would be appreciated. Im googling and not finding

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

I don’t know why you are using Google instead of forum search.
https://www.snbforums.com/search/795273/?q=Whitelist+amazon+domain&o=date
But there are many more posts other than the below link. Please search thru on your own.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ab-solution-the-ad-blocking-solution.37511/page-47#post-335620
Finally found the issue by reading more carefully the dnsmasq log...
It was DDNSEC... I've found some entries saying "validation result is insecure"

Seems that chain of trust is broken because of pixelserv in the middle monitoring and cannot tell for sure that response was from the correct dns server.
So in order to use Diversion we must disable DNSSEC unless there's a workaround for that...
Maybe @thelonelycoder or @RMerlin knows

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Finally found the issue by reading more carefully the dnsmasq log...
It was DDNSEC... I've found some entries saying "validation result is insecure"

Seems that chain of trust is broken because of pixelserv in the middle monitoring and cannot tell for sure that response was from the correct dns server.
So in order to use Diversion we must disable DNSSEC unless there's a workaround for that...
Maybe @thelonelycoder or @RMerlin knows

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos
The app works for me. I have dnssec enabled with all the bells and whistles, plus dnscrypt DoH and it all works but I had to whitelist the domains in the above posts.

I had the same problem, and had to whitelist some domains (in addition to the default whitelisted domains to support SNB forums). Unfortunately, I didn't record which of the following made the difference, but with these whitelisted (in Diversion and Skynet), the app works for me.

device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.com
fls-eu.amazon.de
fls-na.amazon.com
mads.amazon-adsystem.com
s.amazon-adsystem.com
z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
These are a great help but not a do all. I had to look at a few posts and gathered up a list. Problem is there are so many to list and they are dynamic so this may work for a while but probably not for ever.

Just installed ab-solution last week as a test. Upgraded to Diversion, works really well, thanks for the effort.
But, I now have a better usb drive. Original was usb 2.0 in 2.0 port, but now I want usb3 stick in usb port of rt68u. Best way to reinstall on the new usb3 stick? I though uninstall and just go again, but I cannot find uninstall command in diversion. Is there such a command? Or can I just untick the jffs scripts box on the router, unmount, power down and remove usb2 stick, restart and put in new stick in usb3 port and install fresh?

I would prefer not to copy data across, and as my install is still fresh and unmolested, a fresh install loses nothing ,and my pc is windows and not good with ext2

Thanks.

I highly doubt you will see any difference in performance why waste the 3.0 port when it can be used for an external HD which can actually benefit from its speed?

I highly doubt you will see any difference in performance why waste the 3.0 port when it can be used for an external HD which can actually benefit from its speed?

I just bought a new sandisk mini flash drive (usb 3.1). I found that is wouldn't reliably remount on boot in the 3.0 port, so I just put in back in the 2.0. I'm not really sure you will see much of a performance increase for running apps on the 3.0 port anyway.

Just wanted to mention that in my recent experience setting up amtm and all related apps that I have had a lot of instability with dnscrypt.

I mention this because some people are noticing some upgrade issues some of which are related to internet being offline. This is most likely due to dnscrypt going offline (i.e. crashing). If dnscrypt processes are stopped then the way dnsmasq is configured you will not be able to resolve IP addresses and thus will have all sorts of issues related to installs from online sources.

In my experience so far, any restart of dnscrypt or of dnsmasq will make dnscrypt unstable. I've also seen some taps into logs and tcpdump cause dnscrypt failure.

Once dnscrypt crashes it seems that restarting it will not always work and if it does it seems more prone to failing until a reboot is done. If nothing messes with it it seems to run fine for long periods.

I'm only mentioning this here as a clue to some of the weridness some people are seeing with the upgrade.

The fault likely is with dnscrypt malfunctioning and not Diversion.

I was reading another forum regarding disk speed and responsiveness, and they said it did make a difference. As I add more apps and functions (amtm, skynet, swap disk etc) it may become an issue, and I have the new usb drive ready to go. I also wonder how the old one will go as I increase the size/number of block files, whitelists etc. These things tend to get slower over time rather than faster.

I also don't need the usb3 port (as far as I know) as I already have a networked server on 24/7, so I am not sure what value using a usb3 port would have except for apps running on the router. No intention of using 4g usb modem at present.

I also think it is fairly important to have an uninstall/removal feature and have it documented. I believe it was available in ab-solution. I appreciate the work done and understand that Diversion is a work in progress, but perhaps it might be worth telling people that there is no uninstall/downgrade path (as yet????). I would not have upgraded so readily if it was obvious this feature was not available. As it was I installed it all on an old usb to test, found it worked well, but now want to put it all on a faster newer stick.

It is no issue to reinstall diversion, I am just wondering whether removing the usb stick will cause internal settings of the router to mean it won't connect to the internet properly. I really don't want to have to reset the router and re-enter all my fixed IP addresses and other settings again, although I do recall backing up the router config files when I upgraded to 386.6 recently.

Preferring not to nuke the install just yet if there is a simple way foward.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!