What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm guessing that @heysoundude is turning on their vpn when they leave their house mainly for general ad blocking when they are not at home as well as security if they connect to a public hotspot. The blocking of YouTube ads is just icing on the cake.

Agreed. My VPN comes on automatically to stay connected to HA (which has Blue Iris integrated). The asuswrt: integration does pretty solid presence detection, and command_line: lets you reconfigure the LAN based on who is home. HA is my COVID time-killer lately.

But yeah, I don't see Diversion - great that it is - being in any way related to Vanced. One is an overall better YT experience with one of the benefits being lack of ads, the other is a great evolution of ab-solutions that is faster than PiHole and HA's AdGuard integration. Different worlds.

Need some assistance with my setup..

RT-AX88U running Diversion & DNSCrypt-Proxy

Requirements:
- All of my clients to go through DNSCrypt & Diversion Ad-Blocking
- 2 of my clients to totally bypass Diversion, but still use DNSCrypt.

On searching the forums and Diversion website; there is a suggested solution listed on Diversion FAQ here
.... It says that I set the DNS to 8.8.8.8, ... but I want the excluded clients to still use DNSCrypt-Proxy

How to exclude a client from ad-blocking
In your router Web-UI, go to DNS-Filtering
- set 'Enable DNS-based Filtering' to ON
- set 'Global Filter Mode' to 'NO filtering'
- fill in 'Custom (user-defined) DNS 1' with, for example, Google's DNS 8.8.8.8
- select your client(s) in the Client List and set 'Filter Mode' 'Custom 1'
- click Apply

Now the client(s) in the Client list get the DNS from google and not from your router.

Q: What settings do I put in the DNS Filter section (or elsewhere)?

Seeking advise...

I'm guessing that @heysoundude is turning on their vpn when they leave their house mainly for general ad blocking when they are not at home as well as security if they connect to a public hotspot. The blocking of YouTube ads is just icing on the cake.

Public wifi, provider’s data network (and roaming partners) - Bullseye!
Correct, this is how I roll. Don’t you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YT Ad blocking topic...after enabling the function in Diversion, what's the learning required? Been using YT (not signed in as a user) for last 4-5 hours, Ads still appearing after each or second music video? Technical setup RT-AX88U on 384.18 alpha 1, Diversion 4.1.12, Skynet, Unbound etc.
| Tried closing & opening Firefox browser, which as per 'Security & Privacy' setting would flush cache didn't help. After I rebooted my desktop, now the YT Ads slowly being blocked. Within an hour of playing music videos, none. This function is really cool!! Thks, yippee...
I wonder why a reboot of the PC would have any effect? Any ideas?

Hi I am a relative novice to user script addons and up until now I had only enabled a number of custom addons thanks to the use of an automated solution using a "script bootloader" which I have been using successfully on an AX88U running Merlin 384.17 for several months (see here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...with-asuswrt-merlin-384-12.57270/#post-500681 for brief details and GitHub link).

As my experience with this addon solution has thus far been good it made me keen to explore other advanced features and hence I discovered the highly regarded Diversion (& also Skynet). However, as the above Script Bootloader has already installed some of the pre-requisite items (Entware is a particular example) and as I wish to avoid any installation conflict which may in the process disable the function of either my existing addons or Diversion (or indeed both!) as an unintended consequence.

I would therefore very much appreciate some expert guidance from users familiar with the Diversion install process in respect of any effect it may have on my existing installs/install file structure and how best to achieve a trouble free installation which integrates both aspects such that they run concurrently without either disrupting the function of the other as a result of invoking the automated install command.

Many thanks to all in advance for any help offered :) and to thelonelycoder for the huge commitment involved to develop such a highly regarded network level Ad Blocking solution !!

Regards,

PC Pilot

After enabling YouTube ads blocking feature, my system log is filled with this message:

Code:
May 14 17:21:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14124 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:22:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14134 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:23:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14144 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:24:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14154 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:25:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14184 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:26:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14195 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div

And here's is the Diversion overview:
Screen-Shot-2020-05-14-at-17.31.07.png

Is that because "Default router message log level" is set to "Info" on my side?

Also, remember the script by design will only work on reused Googlevideo subdomains, if you play a video hosted on a new Googlevideo subdomain it'll still play ad but the new subdomain will be added in the YouTube list and it'll block the ad on next use of that same subdomain but since there are thousands of GoogleVideo subdomains we do see ads every now and then.

That's a drawback of no Regex support in official Dnsmasq otherwise it's just one line of code to catch every googlevideo domain in the wild.

After enabling YouTube ads blocking feature, my system log is filled with this message:

Code:
May 14 17:21:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14124 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:22:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14134 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:23:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14144 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:24:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14154 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:25:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14184 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div
May 14 17:26:00 crond[764]: USER myusername pid 14195 cmd sh /opt/share/diversion/file/yt-blocking.div

And here's is the Diversion overview:
Screen-Shot-2020-05-14-at-17.31.07.png

Is that because "Default router message log level" is set to "Info" on my side?
It's because John's fork logs every cron execution.

Is there any way to get Diversion working while having a different DNS such as 9.9.9.9? I dont want my providers DNS if i change it i start to see ads again.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

Is there any way to get Diversion working while having a different DNS such as 9.9.9.9? I dont want my providers DNS if i change it i start to see ads again.
You should be putting 9.9.9.9 under the WAN DNS settings, not the LAN DHCP DNS settings (those should be empty), then Diversion will work fine with any upstream DNS provider.

Hi I am a relative novice to user script addons and up until now I had only enabled a number of custom addons thanks to the use of an automated solution using a "script bootloader" which I have been using successfully on an AX88U running Merlin 384.17 for several months (see here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...with-asuswrt-merlin-384-12.57270/#post-500681 for brief details and GitHub link).

As my experience with this addon solution has thus far been good it made me keen to explore other advanced features and hence I discovered the highly regarded Diversion (& also Skynet). However, as the above Script Bootloader has already installed some of the pre-requisite items (Entware is a particular example) and as I wish to avoid any installation conflict which may in the process disable the function of either my existing addons or Diversion (or indeed both!) as an unintended consequence.

I would therefore very much appreciate some expert guidance from users familiar with the Diversion install process in respect of any effect it may have on my existing installs/install file structure and how best to achieve a trouble free installation which integrates both aspects such that they run concurrently without either disrupting the function of the other as a result of invoking the automated install command.

Many thanks to all in advance for any help offered :) and to thelonelycoder for the huge commitment involved to develop such a highly regarded network level Ad Blocking solution !!

Regards,

PC Pilot

There is no way anyone is bored enough to examine what the many ramifications will be from using this 'script bootloader' today when RMerlin firmware is officially using amtm. :)

Take a backup of your current configuration, including the JFFS partition, and/or better yet, use a new USB drive too.

Format the JFFS partition on the next reboot and make sure you hit 'Apply' at the bottom of that page. Reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so (waiting 5 to 10 minutes before the next reboot).

After doing the above, amtm will already be installed on the router. Use amtm to properly format the USB drive as Ext4, with journalling. Install the DC (Disk Checker) script. Install a swap file (2GB is my suggestion). Install Diversion which will properly install Entware too.

From here, you should do a new/clean install of every script you require.

The above is the best way today to ensure you're not causing issues for yourself and your router/network needlessly. Feel free to look at the link in my signature below for further info.

HTH. :)

It doesnt block ads

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

It's not supposed to block ads, it's just a way to change your WAN DNS.

Make sure your LAN DNS fields are empty.
Also on LAN->DNSFilter page enable global filtering mode and set it to Router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!