What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is with Diversion now being completely uninstalled using the d menu option.
I see no reason why Diversion would not run with your entries.
But do you know why you added these lines? What are the benefits/what for?
- dns-forward-max=1000
- mount -a
- service restart_httpd

Also it could be that your local NTP server comes up late, preventing other things to run on time.
Of interest would be Syslog entries when Diversion fails to start, I'm sure it would tell a clear story of why it happens.

This is with Diversion now being completely uninstalled using the d menu option.
Also, the mount -a and restart httpd will run multiple times if you have more than one USB device and/or multiple partitions on it/them.

I see no reason why Diversion would not run with your entries.
But do you know why you added these lines? What are the benefits/what for?
I'm certain I've not done any changes by myself. I think its ntpMerlin that added them.

Also it could be that your local NTP server comes up late, preventing other things to run on time.
Of interest would be Syslog entries when Diversion fails to start, I'm sure it would tell a clear story of why it happens.
Is there any way to access the syslog entries? I was under the impression that the syslogs are cleared and gone forever once the device reboots, that they aren't saved on any drive. Because if I boot with Diversion installed and enabled, I cannot access the router by SSH, webUI or any other means.

I'm certain I've not done any changes by myself. I think its ntpMerlin that added them.

Is there any way to access the syslog entries? I was under the impression that the syslogs are cleared and gone forever once the device reboots, that they aren't saved on any drive. Because if I boot with Diversion installed and enabled, I cannot access the router by SSH, webUI or any other means.
/tmp/syslog.log is the most recent Syslog file. It gets copied over to /jffs/syslog.log at intervals. The latter is the one to look at after your mysterious happenings. There's also an syslog.log-1 in each location which presumably goes even further back.

Does anyone see anything under blocked YouTube blacklist in uidivstats. I've had YouTube ad blocking enabled for a few days but I see nothing. I see 141 in yt_blacklist. Not sure if it's even working as sometime I see ads & sometimes I don't.

Hi all.

Symptoms: on my Twitter feed (iMac App) pictures to links, video, Giff's intermittency stop displaying (for hours). And strangely when I click on links (anything requesting a server response) there is a delay .... this is happening on ALL devices. And these things have only started since I updated to Merlin 384.18 two days ago.

I'm not sure if these things are Diversion related but I'm really unsure of what else would cause this.

Hi all.

Symptoms: on my Twitter feed (iMac App) pictures to links, video, Giff's intermittency stop displaying (for hours). And strangely when I click on links (anything requesting a server response) there is a delay .... this is happening on ALL devices. And these things have only started since I updated to Merlin 384.18 two days ago.

I'm not sure if these things are Diversion related but I'm really unsure of what else would cause this.

Disable Diversion and test again.

Hi all.

I’ve been experiencing the same with twitter on my iPad for a couple of months, I’ve rebooted the router which works sometimes, disabled diversion, unbound, I’ve enabled DOT using Quad 9, Cloudflare, I turn ExpressVPN DNS on or off and it still happens. I have found temporarily turning my adguard app on which changes the DNS to Google DNS over HTTPS or using Virgin Medias DNS then Twitter displays properly every time. I put it down to Twitter not liking my DNS settings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve been experiencing the same with twitter on my iPad for a couple of months, I’ve rebooted the router which works sometimes, disabled diversion, unbound, I’ve enabled DOT using Quad 9, Cloudflare, I turn ExpressVPN DNS on or off and it still happens. I have found temporarily turning my adguard app on which changes the DNS to Google DNS over HTTPS or using Virgin Medias DNS then Twitter displays properly every time. I put it down to Twitter not liking my DNS settings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might try all those things as well, it's happening on my iPad, iPhone, iMac, and PC. The only thing I can relate it to is the router, but maybe it is as you say a conflict with the DNS provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

/tmp/syslog.log is the most recent Syslog file. It gets copied over to /jffs/syslog.log at intervals. The latter is the one to look at after your mysterious happenings. There's also an syslog.log-1 in each location which presumably goes even further back.
I did another clean install, without changing anything, not even rebooting the router before installing.

..And now it works. I've no clue what could had caused my grief earlier on with Diversion.

Thank you very much @thelonelycoder, now I know how to troubleshoot in the future if needed.

Disable Diversion and test again.

As soon as I disabled Diversion I refreshed the (Offical) Twitter Apps on my iPhone, iPad, and iMac. They're all loading images, and other profile data correctly again.

As soon as I disabled Diversion I refreshed the (Offical) Twitter Apps on my iPhone, iPad, and iMac. They're all loading images, and other profile data correctly again.

maybe these apps detect that you are not displaying ads, and block/slow other data?

maybe these apps detect that you are not displaying ads, and block/slow other data?

On the iOS Apps I still get "promoted" Tweets which are Ads. But I don't appear to get them on the Twitter Mac App, so I'm not sure.

And about a few minutes after I re-enable Diversion the photos/videos/GIF's all disappear again. And what's even stranger is the profile bio's, followers and following data also disappears.

Really scratching my head over this one.

Last edited:

Your block file contains some domains which are needed for Twitter. Use Diversion follow log by blocked domains feature and try to track it down.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!