What's new

DNS Across VPN to My Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin K

Regular Contributor
DNS on my ASUS router isn't responding across VPN. Please help me figure out how to diagnose. I'm running OpenVPN on my RT-AC68U which runs Merlin 384.19.

I'm running DNS on my router. When I'm connected locally, it works just fine. When I connect via VPN, I can't get DNS on my router to respond.

My router has IP address 192.168.8.1, when I'm connect via LAN. When I connect via VPN, VPN subnet is 10.8.0.0, and my laptop receives address 10.8.0.100.

From my laptop, when I'm connected via LAN, "ping google.com" succeeds; "nslookup google.com" has subsecond response; "nslookup google.com 192.168.8.1" has subsecond response.

From my laptop, when I connect via VPN:
  • "nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8" works just fine
  • "nslookup google.com 192.168.8.1" times out.
  • "nslookup google.com 10.8.0.1" times out.
  • "ping 10.8.0.1" gets subsecond response.
  • "ping 192.168.8.1" gets subsecond response.
My Asus router is "behind" my ISP's router, and my ISP's router is configured to forward VPN traffic to my Asus. That's clearly working because I can connect to the VPN -- I just can't query the Asus DNS server.

How do I configure OpenVPN and DNS so that my DNS server on the router answers my DNS queries?

Last edited:
On VPN Server - Basic Config what do you have set for Client will use VPN to access?