What's new

DNS Director bugging out (even when disabled): nslookup returns NOTIMP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p1r473

Regular Contributor
Hi all, thanks for reading this post.
Im having a weird issue with DNS Director.
Its currently disabled. However, sometimes it gets into a state of bugginess where I cant nslookup on 8.8.8.8, causing my Google Homes, and any machines using 8.8.8.8, to break. The error I get from nslookup is 'NOTIMP'
Code:
 nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   google.com
Address: 10.0.0.1
** server can't find google.com: NOTIMP

Enabling and then re-disabling DNS Director fixes this issue which leads me to believe DNS Director is bugging out even when disabled
This issue happens infrequently, maybe once a week.

1695654079803.png
1695654103438.png

That looks more like a WAN down redirect from wanduck. Any messages in the router log around that time?

I dont know what time it started (unsure of timestamp) but I can definitely check next time that happens
Right now, I am still in this bugged out state, but WAN is currently up. My internet seems to be working fine except for unable to nslookup from 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4/1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1
Should I disable "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice"? Is that what you think is the issue?

I am using dual WAN with a failover, but currently connected to primary

1695656765177.png

1695656896203.png

1695656921453.png

Should I disable "Enable WAN down browser redirect notice"? Is that what you think is the issue?
I think that would tell us something, for sure.

I disabled the "WAN down browser redirect notice" and I can nslookup from 8.8.8.8 again (out of bugged state) - however Im not sure if this fixed it, or if the WAN resets after making a router change
Will post back if problem reoccurs.
Thanks Dave!

Last edited: