What's new

DNS local name resolution when using static ips

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

el_pedr0

Occasional Visitor
I can't figure out how to resolve names of my machines with static IP addresses (i.e. set on the client with IP addresses on the same subnet as, but outside of, the DHCP). I've got a AC68U with Merlin on it. And I know that hostname resolution just works for clients that use DHCP. What's the best way to get it to work also with static IP machines?

In a previous post, @RMerlin said that machines that don't use DHCP won't have the same local domain as the router and the DHCP clients. Is there a way that I can set the local domain on those static IP machines? Or is there something that I can do to the router to add the static IP machines to its DNS thingumejig?

I have a mix of linux (Debian and ubuntu thus far) and windows machines.

do the IP addresses have to be outside of the DHCP range for a reason?... you could just assign them static IP within the DHCP range by mac address. The hostnames should resolve ok then

The first thing I would do is to create reservations (LAN - DHCP Server) for the clients with static IP's. (It doesn't matter whether they are inside or outside the DHCP range)

It doesn't matter that the clients aren't using DHCP, in fact you can even put in a fake MAC address like 00:00:00:00:00 if you want ;)

What this does is create DNS entries with the host names and IP addresses.

An alternative technique if to create a /jffs/configs/hosts.add file with your IP addresses and host names.

Note: IIRC Windows default behaviour is to "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" automatically anyway so you shouldn't need to do anything for them provided they are using the router as their DNS server.

Last edited:
Great thanks! Didn't even think of reserving addresses outside the DHCP range. That seems to work a treat