What's new

DNS Relay Option

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkyPancake

I recently became the owner of an RT-N66U and I'm pleased with my purchase and the fantastic Merlin firmware, but I was disappointed to not see the option to disable DNS Relay.

In the past I have had routers where stock and custom firmware give the user the option to enable/disable DNS Relay, so that the DNS servers are passed onto DHCP devices instead of just the router's Gateway IP address. I prefer to disable it to cut out the middleman.

Is there a reason why Asus don't include this in their own firmware?

Is this a feature we will see added to Merlin firmware at some point?

I recently became the owner of an RT-N66U and I'm pleased with my purchase and the fantastic Merlin firmware, but I was disappointed to not see the option to disable DNS Relay.

In the past I have had routers where stock and custom firmware give the user the option to enable/disable DNS Relay, so that the DNS servers are passed onto DHCP devices instead of just the router's Gateway IP address. I prefer to disable it to cut out the middleman.

Is there a reason why Asus don't include this in their own firmware?

Is this a feature we will see added to Merlin firmware at some point?

You can specify an ISP DNS on the DHCP page. When that field is blank, it will use the router's IP.

If you want to specify more than one IP, then you can do it using a custom dnsmasq config file.

You can specify an ISP DNS on the DHCP page. When that field is blank, it will use the router's IP.

I did try this, but as you say, you can only specify one IP address, so for example the client then displays its DNS servers as:

And not:

If you want to specify more than one IP, then you can do it using a custom dnsmasq config file.

Could you give some guidance about how to do this please. I have never done anything like this before.