What's new

Do I ever need to reformat JFFS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I didn't even know what JFFS was until I discovered this forum a year ago. And I wasn't aware of its status until I flashed Merlin a month or so ago on my 66U B1 which I have had for almost 3 years. I'm only using 5 of its 62.75MB and I have no idea what's stored there, obviously nothing that I have saved. The "Format JFFS partition at next boot" setting is disabled which I must be the default since I never changed it.

Since I am totally ignorant on the use or utility of JFFS, is it safe to assume that I don't need to do anything to it and let the firmware make those decisions for me?

Just in case anyone using my fork hits this thread in a search...

The ARM based routers (including the AC66U_B1 with the USB3 port and fixed antenna) have a fixed jffs size and generally do not need to be reformatted unless directed.

The MIPS based routers (N16, N66U and original AC66U models) create jffs space out of a common space shared with the firmware, using what is left over after the firmware is loaded. Therefore loading new firmware on the MIPS routers can sometimes require a jffs reformat if the firmware has increased in size.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!