What's new

Does Merlin extend AsusWRT with OpenWRT functions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ViBE

Occasional Visitor
Sorry if this is not the right section but not sure where to start.

So I'm thinking about buy an Asus router and as a long term OpenWRT/Gargoyle user functions are important. For example important features for me are Adblock, MiniDLNA, SMB/FTP/local filesharing, Transmission, network printer support. As I understand AsusWRT is based on OpenWRT basically and these have a bunch of common features. And Merlin allows to use Entware. Entware then allows to use most of the OpenWRT stuff, right?

As I understand AsusWRT is based on OpenWRT basically

No, it's based on Tomato (with 9+ years of development pushing it far ahead of what Tomato is now).

A lot of what you describe is already part of the firmware, and the rest is available through scripting or Entware packages.

Thanks to clarify. But basically is it very similar to OpenWRT? If yes can I move my Transmission configuration to Merlin? ATM a 6TB connecting to my router and as far as I remember it's formated as EXT4. Is it an issue for Merlin?

But basically is it very similar to OpenWRT?

No, totally different architecture.

can I move my Transmission configuration to Merlin? ATM a 6TB connecting to my router and as far as I remember it's formated as EXT4. Is it an issue for Merlin?

I have no idea how your Transmission is configured, so things like file paths may be different.

ext4 is supported on all modern Asus routers. You might be memory-starved with such a large collection however, best to look into moving that to a more capable device. Plus, running a torrent client on your primary network security device is a very bad idea security-wise.

I thought that Entware using the same codes for most of the applications like OpenWRT that's why I ask. I'm planning to buy an AX58U. It has 512 RAM. Isn't enough resources for my plans? I mean atm my actual router has only 256 MB and it runs smoothly.

The RT-AX58U is a 3x 1.5GHz SoC. Not enough power today.

The RT-AC86U or the RT-AX88U is a better bet. (2x 1.8GHz CPU's and 4x 1.8GHz CPU's respectively, plus hardware-enabled AES-NI for both).

Sure? The actual hardware is just a Xiaomi Mi Router 3G with a 250/70Mbps connection and it's resources are half of this. Are there any informations about how much RAM needed for Merlin at average usage?

No matter what router you get, all the RAM (or >90% anyway) will get used. That's what it's there for. Whether the router has 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB of RAM.

The resources that are even more important once the RAM is 'enough', (and I would argue that 1GB RAM isn't), are multiple, fast cores and hardware encryption built into the SoC for a real upgrade in routing, running multiple scripts, and multiple (or single) VPN connections for any ISP speeds about 50Mbps up/down or faster.

I got you but for god sake, I just want to know how much this hardware eats with Merlin. I'm not running seedserver, I don't need VPN, no tons of scripts. I don't even plan to collect data for NASA about the universe. I just need information about the average memory usage to compare what can I expect if I buy an AX58U. Cause my actual OpenWRT based dual band sh1tbox is not in that 90%. It has only 2x800Mhz MTK CPU and 256 MB RAM and it's usually use 100-140 MB. Sometimes ~200 MB. Usually 4-6 devices connected simultaneously and Transmission handle actually ~250 torrents. Of course only a few active and not all. And that's it. It runs well but I need a bit more than this with AX support.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!