What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

but not all other components on the bord!
It is not a PC mainboard where CPU get cooled by a fan and surround components keep quite cool.
Here the heat is spreading throughout the wholecircuit board inside housing.

I'm sure the millions of Asus routers sold over the years attest to their designers' decisions. :)

Sure, a few may be marginal and fail, but I haven't seen one yet that has died from overheating.

And I agree; this is not a PC mainboard. It is simply a router. :)

I'm sure the millions of Asus routers sold over the years attest to their designers' decisions. :)

Sure, a few may be marginal and fail, but I haven't seen one yet that has died from overheating.

And I agree; this is not a PC mainboard. It is simply a router. :)
you never had this DSL-RT-AC68U running at that high temps I think, mine had about 75°C when I used them 2-3 years ago.

And if one dies, you will never know that its because of high temps ...
I want my equipment running 10 years and not till next model made public.
We got different needs and expectations ;)

you never had this DSL-RT-AC68U running at that high temps I think, mine had about 75°C when I used them 2-3 years ago.

No, I've never used a DSL-AC68U.

But I have my original RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC86U and many more customer examples of each of these that all run between 82C to 86C without issues. :)

well made RT-AC68U has 70@800MHz and overclocked to 1200MHz not more than 75°C @20° room temp, sample of 5.
RT-AC86U will be below 70°C, sample of 2.
yes they can run 80-90, maybe short time or even some years, but wont last that long as with "good" temps (similar to good known state :p)!
And your home may be coolded by an air conditioner in summer, others doesnt have.
You dont watch temps daily, and if ok in winter or spring you feel good and forget about check in hot summer.

well made RT-AC68U has 70@800MHz and overclocked to 1200MHz not more than 75°C @20° room temp, sample of 5.
yes they can run 80-90, maybe short time or even some years, but wont last that long as with "good" temps (similar to good known state :p)!
And your home may be coolded by an air conditioner in summer, others doesnt have.
You dont watch temps daily, and if ok in winter or spring you feel good and forget about check in hot summer.

No, I do not have air conditioning. :)

75C is what I see when the router is booted cold from unboxing it. Within a few minutes, it is in the '80s. :)

I don't check temps daily. Just checked again because of your posts. :)

Hello
Is it possible to use dsl-ac68u only as a modem with this firmware ? I would like to replace my current netgear dgn2200 modem, because the ADSL provider will soon provide me the fiber connection, and the dsl-ac68u supports the protocol.
My router is rt-ac86u with the rmerlin firmware. Thank you
Thanks

Hello
Is it possible to use dsl-ac68u only as a modem with this firmware ? I would like to replace my current netgear dgn2200 modem, because the ADSL provider will soon provide me the fiber connection, and the dsl-ac68u supports the protocol.
My router is rt-ac86u with the rmerlin firmware. Thank you
Thanks

Which router do you have? The DSL or the RT?

In either case, you can optionally use as little of the features as you want. :)

Which router do you have? The DSL or the RT?

In either case, you can optionally use as little of the features as you want. :)
Hello
The router is RT-AC86U, as only modem I want to use the dsl-ac68.
Thanks

Long time lurker here, first time poster, just wanted to say thanks mate.

I've been using the RT on the DSL for too long, it's basically perfect now, no performance issues, no DSL issues, nothing at all, this modem is in the best state it can ever be.

Probably, if you're looking for features to port over, try seeing if you can port the WTFast network optimizer from the RT/DSL AC88U, would be pretty cool to see.

newer revision 68U's are 1400 mhz
upload_2019-6-12_4-20-2.png
'
look at dem temps...

Long time lurker here, first time poster, just wanted to say thanks mate.

I've been using the RT on the DSL for too long, it's basically perfect now, no performance issues, no DSL issues, nothing at all, this modem is in the best state it can ever be.

Probably, if you're looking for features to port over, try seeing if you can port the WTFast network optimizer from the RT/DSL AC88U, would be pretty cool to see.
that is probably unlikely due to the ram limitations and what not. all the routers that have WTFast have very generous amounts of ram available, while merlin asuswrt is running out of ram on some of the lesser models such as the RT-AC68u

this is an example of the RT-AC3100, which supports it natively
upload_2019-6-12_15-55-37.png

this is an example of the RT-AC68u

upload_2019-6-12_15-56-25.png

both of them are running merlins firmware.

Last edited:

My DSL-RT-AC68U runs for years at 30 degrees room temperature and higher humidity. Never had any issue.
I do not worry about this temperatures
2.4 GHz: 56 ° C - 5 GHz: 57 ° C - CPU: 91 ° C

i'm pretty sure this value is wrong, mine is 99/100° without fan 60/62° with fans
this difference looks to much for my experience

Hi GNUton,

When i block one device's int. access via asus router android app or web interface, all my devices's connection are blocked. Is this problem related to android app or firmware? Is there anything i can do?

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure this value is wrong, mine is 99/100° without fan 60/62° with fans
this difference looks to much for my experience
Why, he wrote higher humidity, with water cooling his values could easily be true. :p

Hi, i am new here so apologies if this has been discussed somewhere already.
I am looking to try out the custom firmware on my used DSL-AC68U in Melbourne AU. Have heard issues with setup specifically for FTTB NBN connection on the stock firmware. Could someone here direct me to steps i need to take for a good clean setup. Thanks!!

Hi there,
Testers needed.
384.12 for DSL AC68U is now available for testing. Please download the latest pre release from GitHub and let me know if it works for you or if there are issue. You can safely switch back to previous release in the worst case and no factory reset needed if you come from the previous release. Cheers antonio

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hi, i am new here so apologies if this has been discussed somewhere already.
I am looking to try out the custom firmware on my used DSL-AC68U in Melbourne AU. Have heard issues with setup specifically for FTTB NBN connection on the stock firmware. Could someone here direct me to steps i need to take for a good clean setup. Thanks!!
I do not think there is a way to do so. Install the new firmeare, factory reset and your are good to go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk