What's new

[DSL-AC68U] AsusWrt Merlin builds for DSL routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

no one is ..
You can use DSL in modem-only mode (bridge mode), so it does no routing an you have to setup your router to make connection to ISP. So you avoid double NAT.
yeah... i was thinking of this method...

from isp i got a Fritz!Box 7530.
This box is not able for use in Bridge Mode, and i can not disable the NAT... so for now, i can only use "exposed host" on the Fritz!Box and put my "old" RC68U" with merlin behind the Fritz!Box.
But with this method, i have double NAT and a great loss of speed :(

Yesterday i bought the DSL-AC68VG VOIP on amazon and thought this will solve all my problems, because i can use one ModemRouter for all my needs.
I wanted to sell my "old" RC68U.

But now it seem, that if i want to use a router with merlin, i will have to use the new DSL AC68VG VOIP only for bridge mode, so i can handle my old RC68U behind...

Can i still use Telefon/Fax on the first Router?

Okay - this can be part of another threat.

Back2Topic: NO MERLIN FOR DSL-AC68VG VOIP

Thank u anyway @Grisu for your help... i have two great ASUS Routers - i think this should be a good start for my home network :)

you DONT have any speed loss with double NAT, why do you repeat this all the time?
You wont have phone/fax/voicemail features of Fritzbox on Asus, maybe not even phone if it uses VLAN and you dont have user/pw for it (depends on your ISP).
BTW 7530 is a very good modem router too, depending on your needs even better.
My ISP allowes to have 2 clients logged in, so I can use PPPoE-Passthrough on my Fritz which is same as bridge mode (modem and your router can have public IP).

you DONT have any speed loss with double NAT, why do you repeat this all the time?
You wont have phone/fax/voicemail features of Fritzbox on Asus, maybe not even phone if it uses VLAN and you dont have user/pw for it (depends on your ISP).
My ISP allowes to have 2 clients logged in, so I can use PPPoE-Passthrough on my Fritz which is same as bridge mode (modem and your router can have public IP).
I am sorry... i am at work and not realy much time for answering...

Okay... this sound like my actual network.
FiberToTheHome (FTTH) --> Fritz!Box7530 --> ASUS RT-68U

Is it possible, if my ISP (Fonira) allow only 1 client login?
On the Fritz!Box i have set PPPoE Passthrough.
Than on ASUS behind i set WAN to PPPoE and put the login.

Everything work like a charme (external access, WAN IP, DDNS Update,...)
I have 2 problems: loss of speed (60 instead of 120Mbit)
and LetsEncrypt does not work :(

So i thought a new ASUS DSL Router which can handle all together will solve my problem(s) :(

After some search, i try to disable "Teredo" Filters in Fritz!Box, but nothing happend: still slow internet.
Then i read about double NAT will slow down speed...

When connected direct to Fritz!Box i got 120Mbit fullspeed !!

Maybe i am completly wrong and will return the ASUS DSL to amason... :-/

thanks for your thoughts @Grisu...

there shouldnt be any speed differenc using double NAT, there may be a problem anywhere between, some reported half speed on newer Asus firmwares while others didnt see any differences.
So it could be a problem over there but not in general with double-NAT.
Fonira in Austria (would be nuch easier to talk in German)?

Why do you need a DSL modem for FTTH???
With FTTH you got fibre right to your home and need an ONT which is the provider termination and you have ethernet to router WAN port.
Thats how I know FTTH, maybe some using this name differently and I am not aware of it.
If you have FTTC (or similar) then you need a DSL modem of course.

Okay ... so the loss of speed must be somewhere between the two machines. But I dont know where...

If I could manage the Fritz! Box7530 as a modem only and the AC68U as a router behind it with no loss of speed, I would be happy.

My ISP allows to use my own modems. These must be freely configurable as well as VDSL2 and vectoring capable.
I also have a phone number, which I would like to use for telephone or fax ... (that's why I thought the DSL AC68 VG VOIP would solve all my problems ...).

At the moment I have a kind of "Splitter" on my telephone jack. And from here is a RJ45 direct into the LAN1 (!) port of the Fritz! Box (not the WAN port).
Is this DSL or not?

Everything works the way i want.
if I allow the Fritz! Box that other devices can dial in with PPPoE, then the ASUS can easily go online and gets a WAN.
But there is a massive loss of speed, as well as i can not use LetsEncrypt (Port 80) ?!?

I have a static IP from ISP and can reach my NAS from external... all work like a charm.

I have to find out whether it is at the Fritz! Box, or at the ASUS which slow down ...

Anyway, I will probably send back the DSL Router, because i can not use merlin and (as you told me - maybe no telephone/fax) and the problem will probably not be solved :(

no, you dont use the grey DSL port on backside, are you?
On 7530 LAN1 is used as WAN port as this is the small Fritzbox without single WAN port.
There is absolutely no need to have this Fritzbox or a modem at all!
Any other router without modem would be fine too if you can configure VoIP (maybe it needs VLAN setting for that).

Why do you have a splitter?
Splitter is only used on xDSL with POTS, you have VoIP. And phone line to the cabinet (2 wire).
Your LAN1 port is ethernet, so there cant be any splitter between phone line and LAN port, incompatible!

Maybe you call the ONT splitter, google for ONT and splitter (much smaller and only passive component without mains plug) to see the differences!!!

Visit IP-phone-forum, would be much easier to help you over there!

Last edited:
YOU ARE MY MAN @Grisu !! :) Totally right - it is an ONT box and the WAN port in the Fritz!Box on Lan1.
I will read the forum and search the Internet how to connect the best way. At the moment I have disabled on the Fritz! Box ALL filters (NetBIOS, Teredo and WPAD) and I get about 120 Mbit on my ASUS and still 90 -100 with WLAN... maybe there was a loss of speed with on of the filters...

Anyway: Many thanks for all the help, the tips and the time! Every day I learn a little more and try a lot of reading by myself. THANKS !!
At the moment I can use my old AC8U with merlin and continue to use the Fritz! Box the phone / fax, I think;)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

I didn't say anything because I was almost sure that Gnuton was probably taking a brake.

And so he should - well deserved - @GNUton is the one and only Merlin-Ware fellow who has consistently applied himself to empowering owners of the only Asus DSL modem sutiable for Merlin adaptation. Many of us waited YEARS for this service - so patience guys ... like most everyone else ... he volunteers his efforts to the community.

His stable releases so far are rock steady ... let's help him keep it that way. Keep up the excellent work @GNUton - we fully appreciate your efforts.

I have recently moved from DSL-AC68U to an FB7530 as part of getting Gfast. The 7530 is in router mode. What I will say is that I like AVM (the FritzBox! manufacturer) attitude as they seem like a friendlier organisation that the likes of ASUS. I also REALLY like the FB!'s web interface. It's extremely intuitive and gives you lots of data.

However, this weekend I intend to swap out the FB! back to my DSL-AC68U and use it in ethernet WAN mode as a router for 2 reasons:

1. The FB! firewall, even in stealth mode, seems to leave 4 ports closed and visible - responding to pings. I've looked and looked and can't find any way to alter this.
  2. Neither the 7530 nor, as far as I can tell, any FB! routers support beamforming. As a result, the wireless coverage offered by the FB! is not even on the same level as the AC68U. I can't believe the difference given the identical placement of the two routers. Granted, the 7530 is only a 1200Mb rated part but it's 5+ years younger than the AC68U so I'm very surprised about this. The only reference to beamforming that I can find on any FB! products are in the description of the mesh functionality. To me that's just not acceptable. Don't get me wrong. I don't know for a fact that this is what makes the difference, it might also be related to the external vs internal antenna arrangement as well, but I am extremely confident that there is a marked difference and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment so everything is on one level and the surrounding wifi topography isn't very saturated.
I am so pleased that GNUton has done this work and made a firmware available for the DSL, even though going forward I shan't be using the DSL modem aspect of the product, I will definitely be keeping it flashed with the latest GNUton revision available.

Hey folks and greetings from Germany (yes I moved to a new country)!!!
I have finally got some time to work on the DSL-AC68U and here we go.. there is a fresh new pre-release looking for testers.
Since we got new blobs from ASUS, I think we can get a stable version this time, and it will be based on 384.14

So please help me in testing the new firmware: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/384.14-beta1-gnuton2