What's new

Dual Band Isolation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Raevyn

New Around Here
Hello!

So I have a Linksys dual band router. Both are N and I use a very strong passcode on each. Unfortunately manufacturers of some types do not believe someone would use a real password so I have to dumb the 2.4 band down. I can do that IF there is a way to somehow isolate it from the rest of the network. Is there a way to do that?

Hey

Might be better if you explained more.

Manufacturers of some types? Some types of what?

Dumb down 2.4 but not 5? Huh?

Isolate from what?

Most dual band Linksys routers have a guest network that uses either 192.168.3.1 or 192.168.33.1 by default. Is that the isolation that you are talking about?

i believe he's talking about his key complexity/length is too much for some devices that are only 2.4ghz capable. not sure if 'both' refers to two routers or the two wifi bands on the one router.

i would think he could do this with a guest network, but can you use a guest network only for the entire 2.4ghz band without enabling regular access? my guess would be not and that this is a case in which he really would need to run the 2.4ghz interface on a separate vlan. this would probably be easily achieved with dd-wrt. of course, do poke around in dd-wrt, maybe they can do dedicated guest APs

@OP; you may also need to configure dnsmasq on the router running the guest AP to give those clients IPs/DNS. if you can do this with vlans, then it would need to be configured on the main router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!