What's new

Dual Wan Mode: Bridge to wireless hotspot - So anyone can use Dual WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nathan909

New Around Here
I have a Verizon hotspot, but the USB wouldn't connect for some reason, regardless, how many of us have a hotspot built into our phones??? I'm sure most if not all...

Feature Request:
It would be nice to have a Secondary WAN failover could connect to an SSID from a priority list.

If this was implemented nearly all of us could use Dual WAN

My personal use will also be my RV in addition to my home.

Last edited:
While I understand how your suggestion could be useful to many, and I agree it would be a nice addition, there are a number of ways to do this, perhaps with lower performance. I have a "travel router" that cost me about $30 that could be setup as part of dual or failover WAN (wired) and also provide connectivity via wireless to hotspot (or other service). I haven't used it in this exact scenario, but I think it would work although as it is about 10 years old the performance would suck as it has limited capabilities. I'm guessing there are other newer devices that would perform better.

I do like your idea though as I've had to use my phone's hotspot a few times during some ISP issues. My workaround to make it fairly easy, at least for wireless devices, was to use the same SSID on my hotspot that my router uses so the majority of devices work seamlessly.

Glad to hear you agree it would be a nice addition! It would be ideal to have an all-in-one solution without using extra wires, power supplies, GUIs, & Double NAT. Also utilizing the great interface and radios that are already in these devices.

While I understand how your suggestion could be useful to many, and I agree it would be a nice addition, there are a number of ways to do this, perhaps with lower performance. I have a "travel router" that cost me about $30 that could be setup as part of dual or failover WAN (wired) and also provide connectivity via wireless to hotspot (or other service). I haven't used it in this exact scenario, but I think it would work although as it is about 10 years old the performance would suck as it has limited capabilities. I'm guessing there are other newer devices that would perform better.
This is the exact setup I have in my Motorhome. I have a GL.iNet GL-MT300N hooked up to the wan port. I also tried a TP-Link AC750, but I forget why I took it out in lieu of the GL.iNet.
The speeds are not really that good for some reason, but it does work. It has a list of SSID with saved passwords. It will connect to any on the list. Nice when a phone's hotspot hits a soft data cap, you can just turn off one phone's hotspot and then turn on another. Also when I get home it just connects to my home's SSID.

FYI I use the router as a file server for my wired Kodi boxes for off-grid viewing/listening.

I do like your idea though as I've had to use my phone's hotspot a few times during some ISP issues. My workaround to make it fairly easy, at least for wireless devices, was to use the same SSID on my hotspot that my router uses so the majority of devices work seamlessly.
Your suggestion will work for some wireless devices, but I hard-wired as many devices as I could, 4x 8-way switches throughout, including an ethernet backhaul'd mesh.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

Last edited: