What's new

Edit MAC filter via SSH

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eak

Occasional Visitor
I would like to edit the MAC filter list via SSH (e.g. to change a MAC address). I discovered several candidate variables via "nvram show". Do all of these needed to be edited in sync? Or are some vestigial since the 2.4 and 5 lists were merged?

Also, is there a way to just turn off MAC filtering by SSH without losing the lists?

In my ADSL router Asus DSL-N55U, wi-fi mac addresses are in NVRAM's "wl0_maclist_x" field (for 2,4 ghz) and "wl1_maclist_x" field (for 5 ghz).
Use grep to search for your mac address inside nvram (for example try "nvram show | grep -i xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", where xx is mac address - all found keys logically must include "maclist" string - mac address list is also on WakeOnLan list and DHCP list).

If you want to know what is the NVRAM key to change for disable/enable mac filtering via ssh, try to save a backup of all nvram (for example "nvram show > /tmp/nvram0.txt"), change mac filtering option in web admin page, and then save another backup of nvram (for example "nvram show > /tmp/nvram1.txt"), then get the difference using "diff" utility (if you have no "diff" utility, try to install it from optware/entware packages - in optware it is in "diffutils" package).
Be careful about mac filtering, take note that too many services are involved in wifi, so it is better to let web admin management disable/enable mac filtering (see syslog to know how web admin mgt operate when disables/enables mac filtering).