What's new

Ethernet, full copper vs copper clad aluminium

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

System Error Message

Part of the Furniture
I thought I should write this because there's a lot of arguments and all sorts of inaccurate stuff on the front page of google, I figured this thread would be good to discuss this as well.

A brief definition:
Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) is an aluminium core cable that is coated with copper while full copper has copper at the core.

The main way to tell the difference is other than writing is weight. Full copper ethernet cables weigh more and are much harder to bend.

Theres so many articles even on the front page of google that demonise copper clad aluminium saying that they don't follow standards, are a fire hazard and so on so I'm going to try and prove this false and explain some additional things in regards to industries as well.

While copper has lower resistance electrically, it does not necessarily mean other metals are inferior. When judging a metal in its electrical characteristics, even steel with a higher resistance but can transmit signals well. All metals are good conductors and the main difference is their capacitance, this is the main problem in signaling even on motherboards that use copper because the capacitance effect can disrupt signals. Copper has lower resistance and better signaling characteristics than aluminium but that does not mean having a piece of meter a kilometer wide will transmit signals better than copper a millimeter wide for the same distance even if far as signals only care about the shape of the wave, not its intensity, too much intensity will blow up your NIC as well.

So between signalling, copper and CCA aren't very different, so you use copper only when you do longer runs, because the resistance at longer distances cause huge intensity losses. Copper's better toughness makes it well suited to handle the elements and it wont be bent, not to mention potential power use. You'll also need copper with as low conductor awg as possible as even copper itself if too thin is bad for PoE.

CCA ability to bend easily makes it a good choice for short runs and daily use as its easier to break a full copper cable by bending it sharply instead of aluminium made more flexibly, lighter to carry around too. Even the Ethernet cables you get with your router, even if you buy Asus or overpriced cheapo netgears will come with CCA cable as it reduces cost and weight and let's you pack it tightly too.

Now to break the myth. When it comes to interference, both copper and aluminium have capacitance and are conductors, they will both suffer, this is why you have shielded Ethernet cables for dealing with interference. Higher CAT and shielding help to deal with interference which mostly comes from building installations, where huge amounts of voltages and power cables tend to be in parallel and next to data ( if doing such runs, perhaps consider fiber optics? But back then this was a super costly and unavailable option to most). When using a shielded cable, a higher CAT is necessary which defines increased cable insulation sizes, reducing the capacitance effect between metal core and shield while also reducing the metal core picking up current from nearby voltages. Even full copper without a shield will pick IP interference much more easily than aluminium thanks to it being a better conductor.

Another thing that people demonize CCA about is saying that they aren't certified and a fire hazard noting its much lower melting point. When a metal like aluminium turns into a liquid it can actually help reduce a fire by melting onto the fire itself denying it on oxygen. After it melts it may no longer be usable but even copper can get hot and burn the isolation while staying exposed and in 1 piece. Fire safety of such cables are entirely dependent on the insulation of the cable itself and not the metal as its the toxic plastic that'd kill you and burn, not the metal itself. Whether it melts makes no difference, the insulation will burn once enough energy is given to it and lit up.

Here's why people started demonising CCA. A lot of manufacturers cheaply manufacture cables, even full copper without standards then charge the same price or less. Its very difficult to determine a legit cable and proper testing is expensive and not accessible for many. The other reason is that copper being pricier and much rarer are suffering from lower sales, well if you are an Ethernet cable manufacturer making full copper, make good quality CCA so people can buy your product.

Think of this, we pass gigabits of data through thick insulation of air, concrete, bricks and wood. We get 10% of rated powerline bandwidth on thick electrical copper cabling, so how is it that coating copper on aluminium must perform poorly? How Coax made of steel achieves gigabit speeds while VDSL gets 300Mb/s only within 100meters of the cabinet? Hope I've covered enough of this.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your comments. I have a question for you, I am considering copper clad Cat5e cable for a run of about 70-100 meters (around 230-330 feet). It would be a single cable connecting a router to a bridge. The bridge needs a small amount of power, 0.5 amp at 12 volt (from specs). I wanted to use PoE to feed it. Could it work with a copper clad cable? Ideally the connection should be able to run at 1 Gbps so both data and power will be sent together.
If anybody else has experience to share, would be very thankful.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your comments. I have a question for you, I am considering copper clad Cat5e cable for a run of about 70-100 meters (around 230-330 feet). It would be a single cable connecting a router to a bridge. The bridge needs a small amount of power, 0.5 amp at 12 volt (from specs). I wanted to use PoE to feed it. Could it work with a copper clad cable? Ideally the connection should be able to run at 1 Gbps so both data and power will be sent together.
If anybody else has experience to share, would be very thankful.
nope, the resistance is simply too high. You'll need full copper and a decent lower awg for the conductor. The voltage drop on a CCA will be greater than full copper too.

For all POE runs i always suggest full copper because of the voltage drop and make sure it has good awg. cat5e will do gigabit at 100meters depending on the quality of the cable. Its also a much more permanent run which is better suited to full copper than something you carry around everyday or place around tight spaces at short distances.

You can buy cable spools too and crimp your own, this'll make full copper cat6 much more affordable especially since you need 100meters as they do come in 100meters, 300 meter spools and more.

nope, the resistance is simply too high. You'll need full copper and a decent lower awg for the conductor. The voltage drop on a CCA will be greater than full copper too.

For all POE runs i always suggest full copper because of the voltage drop and make sure it has good awg. cat5e will do gigabit at 100meters depending on the quality of the cable. Its also a much more permanent run which is better suited to full copper than something you carry around everyday or place around tight spaces at short distances.

You can buy cable spools too and crimp your own, this'll make full copper cat6 much more affordable especially since you need 100meters as they do come in 100meters, 300 meter spools and more.

Any places/vendors that you would recommend looking for such products? The last time I looked for full copper cable, I remember spending quite a bit of time searching as it was challenging to sort out the details on some of these products. Some of them were advertised as “full copper” but then when when researching their product detail page I would find out that they were used CCA instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any places/vendors that you would recommend looking for such products? The last time I looked for full copper cable, I remember spending quite a bit of time searching as it was challenging to sort out the details on some of these products. Some of them were advertised as “full copper” but then when when researching their product detail page I would find out that they were used CCA instead.

depends on your region, i dont have that information on hand but some here on the forum know well. Check among the top 20 posters here.

depends on your region, i dont have that information on hand but some here on the forum know well. Check among the top 20 posters here.

I live in Midwest. Would appreciate any info.

Thank you!

The popular suggestion from the masses often seems to be Monoprice, or whatever similar Chinese whitelabel brand is the flavor the year. It should be alright, but I'm always be interested to see how it actually stands up to a Fluke DTX when terminated by a pro on any given day...

A slight step up might be FS.com, although they're likely drawing from the same factories, but they do test and verify their cabling.

Tops would be commercial-grade, tested cable from TAA/BAA cable brands -- Belden, Berk-Tek, Panduit, Mohawk, Superior, etc. I try to find this class of stuff at the most price-competitive suppliers I can. It's usually always worth it. For example, right now FalconTech has Berk-Tek LANmark Cat6 PVC for $140 per 1000 feet, plenum for $247 per 1000 ft roll. And $9.99 flat-rate shipping, or sub-$100 3 or 2 day shipping to most of the county. That's a smokingly good deal on something you know is going to be legit. And I'm sure if you hunt hard enough, you can find similar deals closer to home; maybe even score some Belden (usually the best) at a local surplus outfit. But there's at least one option, ready to order online.

The popular suggestion from the masses often seems to be Monoprice, or whatever similar Chinese whitelabel brand is the flavor the year. It should be alright, but I'm always be interested to see how it actually stands up to a Fluke DTX when terminated by a pro on any given day...

A slight step up might be FS.com, although they're likely drawing from the same factories, but they do test and verify their cabling.

Tops would be commercial-grade, tested cable from TAA/BAA cable brands -- Belden, Berk-Tek, Panduit, Mohawk, Superior, etc. I try to find this class of stuff at the most price-competitive suppliers I can. It's usually always worth it. For example, right now FalconTech has Berk-Tek LANmark Cat6 PVC for $140 per 1000 feet, plenum for $247 per 1000 ft roll. And $9.99 flat-rate shipping, or sub-$100 3 or 2 day shipping to most of the county. That's a smokingly good deal on something you know is going to be legit. And I'm sure if you hunt hard enough, you can find similar deals closer to home; maybe even score some Belden (usually the best) at a local surplus outfit. But there's at least one option, ready to order online.
I have used FS.com before for copper 10G SFP+ direct, and can confirm that they work and they are able to flash it for compatibility for your device.

Just remember you will need copper for POE as anything electrical copper is the best all rounder (there are better cables but not physically feasable to use such as superconductors at sub zero temps)

MidWest is a large area? Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska? If in MO, you have MicroCenter which should have several options. Otherwise I "thought" that HomeDepot carried Southwire which was Copper. Reviews are mixed on quality, but I have used it in the past 2 years with decent luck. Menards and Lowes also carries an option or two, but I haven't looked at them in detail yet.

MidWest is a large area? Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska? If in MO, you have MicroCenter which should have several options. Otherwise I "thought" that HomeDepot carried Southwire which was Copper. Reviews are mixed on quality, but I have used it in the past 2 years with decent luck. Menards and Lowes also carries an option or two, but I haven't looked at them in detail yet.

Iowa-have not checked Menards and Home Depot recently. Have been there few months ago but did not come across too many options. We don’t have a MicroCenter as far as I know.

I've found this post helpful as I look to have some cable ran in my house. It appears I have several runs of cat5e from my basement, but I've only located two. One in my living room and one in family room.

Anyways, I am seeing a lot of your recommended higher tier brands, including a left over box of that exact Berk-Tek LANmark Cat6 PVC. Basically seeing many Facebook market place postings of 1000ft left over boxes ....

I'd like to future proof as much as possible without going broke! Any thoughts on what I should target? Should I worry about the 250vs 600Mhz etc?

Planning to run 3-4 PoE runs for APs and a couple more jacks in upstairs bedrooms.

Lastly, do you recommend any specific tools for putting the ends on or actual ends themselves?

Glad it helped! I'd gobble up as many of those Berk-Tek boxes as makes sense, for sure.

For a reasonable amount of future-friendliness (there's really no such thing as future-proofing) I'd say Cat6 probably hits the best balance between cost, performance, and handling (lighter/slimmer than 6a). You'll get multi-gig (2.5/5Gb/s) out to full length (330 feet), and 10Gb/s up to 180 feet or so, usually well beyond the length of most home runs. Additional consideration is PoE. For Cat6, you'll want quality solid-core 23AWG for compatibility with forthcoming popularity of 802.3bt out to full length. Certain brands of Cat6a will do it with slimmer 24AWG (Belden 10GXS). Cat6a will do 10Gb to 330ft, and 40Gb at shorter lengths; fiber of course will do up to 100Gb on single-mode or higher grades of multi-mode. But you have to look at cost, too, and all things considered, Cat6 is still probably the best value, short of finding a deal on certain kinds of Cat6a like Belden 10GXS, or running fiber for your backbone only.

For tools, a quality 110 blade tool is always worth it over the cheap stuff. I personally like the Klein cushion-grip heavy duty model. As well as a keystone jack stand, so you can punch down to a hard surface, or hand-held without risking puncturing yourself. I would also recommend a Belden 1797B, which has A-B-C sized razor blade slots for separate bonded-pairs, but of more relevance to the average job is the pick end for quickly separating and straightening pair wires in a single pull -- a huge time and hand pain saver when you're doing more than even two or three keystones or RJ45s at a sitting.

Hope that helps!

If you find it necessary to terminate any runs with male plugs then I highly recommend you purchase a Platinum crimper and the clam shell jacks that work with them. Look for some videos using this tool on YouTube. Until you have used a conventional crimper and tried to make a tight fitting that works you may not think the Platinum style tool is worth it. It is!

I have also seen a Klein knock off of the Platinum tool at Home Depot but have never used it.

Even if you have the Platinum tool don't waste your time making jumpers. Purchase quality ones as the cost isn't much different than a couple of clam shell crimp on.

Even if you design your network to use female jacks at both ends of a cable you should buy a simple continuity tester so you can check for continuity and the pairings are correct instead of wondering why a cable won't work or only shows as 100Mbps fast Ethernet link speed.

All good points @CaptainSTX. I should have added a Platinum Tools crimper, or one of the knock-offs (they tend to work just about as well now that the design is well known enough) plus EZ RJ45 pass-through connectors. They make life so much easier.

A note on EZ RJ45's: make sure to get connectors that match your intended cable category, wire gauge and core type, for example these Cat6/6a connectors have larger diameter holes to accommodate up to 23AWG wire, have 3-prong (not 2-prong) teeth to be able to "straddle" solid-core wire and have diagonally staggered holes to conform to Cat6a cross-talk compliance.

Hey System, I am going to go ahead and disagree about CCA for a couple of reasons.

First: "Theres so many articles even on the front page of google that demonise copper clad aluminium saying that they don't follow standards, are a fire hazard and so on so I'm going to try and prove this false and explain some additional things in regards to industries as well."

CCA is not reccomended by the CCCA and CDA because is not compliant with UL Code 444 and National Electrical Code TIA-568-C.2 fire and safety standards.

"CCA ability to bend easily makes it a good choice for short runs".

Pure copper stranded ethernet cables is recommended for patch cables which move around a lot. Pure solid copper is recommended for structural runs. Pure solid copper ethernet cable bends fine.

CCA tends to break when it is bent.

"CCA is a lot less flexible and malleable than pure copper. This means that if you flex it too much, the internal aluminum will break or crack, leading to extremely reduced performance. Using CCA, you have to be careful with the bending radius, and it has to be a fixed cable. Repeated flexing will break it."

"Copper is much more malleable and can deform without breaking. The cables will be much more easy to work with and less susceptible to random breaks during installs."

I have no dog in this fight, no pony in this show, and am not selling anything, so, here is this from Monorpice:

"Monoprice Ethernet cables are made of 100% pure bare copper wire, as opposed to copper clad aluminum (CCA) wire, and are therefore fully compliant with UL Code 444 and National Electrical Code TIA-568-C.2 fire and safety standards, which require pure bare copper wire in communications cables."

And another source:

https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/copper-clad-aluminum-vs-pure-copper-cables

The Dangers of Using CCA Cables

The performance and safety of CCA cables are radically different. In fact, aluminum network cables violate TIA and IEC standards for Cat5e and Cat6 cables. Aluminum patch cables, often marked as CCA or CCE (for Copper Clad Ethernet), has higher attenuation than pure copper cables. This results in a greater loss of data, as packets have to be re-transmitted. The more data that is re-transmitted, the slower your network performs. Plus, these problems are compounded by every foot of cable you use; the longer the cable, the worse the performance. Is the hit in network performance worth saving a few cents? CCA cables also have a 55% higher DC resistance. This increases the amount of energy that is transferred into heat and reduces the amount of power that can be transferred. This issue makes them unusable for power over Ethernet (PoE). These cut corners also affect installers because aluminum wire creates installation issues. Due to the lower tensile strength, aluminum cables can be damaged when being pulled. Single conductors can break, making the cable useless, or the whole cable can snap. Aluminum also has a lower bend radius than pure copper cables. This means you can’t bend it as much before it fails. In short, copper clad cables are more fragile than pure copper cables.

Again, I do not work for ShowMe, Monoprice, or Belden, etc. Belden has ZERO CCA products. None. I didn't check but I doubt other top end providers make CCA either.

Speaking of Belden, and as I mentioned, I do not work for them (but am available!):

Not in My Network! Copper Clad Aluminum is a Recipe for Failure

Purchasing Belden cable is also the best protection against copper clad aluminum (CCA) cables, which unfortunately have become a growing problem in the market.

Significantly lighter than pure copper and yet stronger than pure aluminum, CCA cables have been used for some electrical applications to avoid issues inherent with aluminum wire connections and also because they are less expensive than pure copper.

Unfortunately, CCA cables have also become a cheap replacement for category twisted-pair communications cables, but they should not be deployed in a network infrastructure. CCA cables are not compliant with UL and TIA standards, both of which required solid or stranded copper conductors.

CCA cables have poor flexibility that can cause breakage. In a recent article by the Communications Cable & Connectivity Association (CCCA), of which Belden is a participating member, one IT coordinator for a small K-12 elementary school recounted his experience with CCA cable.

After he noticed that the conductors seemed brittle during termination, initial testing revealed a 30% failure on links due to lack of continuity from breakage. He then realized that simply moving a patch panel or faceplate caused more conductors to break and more failures.

And even if CCA conductors do make it through termination and pass testing, aluminum oxidizes when exposed to air. Over time, this can eventually cause failed terminations and the need for troubleshooting.

Another issue with CCA is its higher dc resistance compared to copper (about 55% greater), which doesn’t bode well for PoE applications. Greater dc resistance causes greater heating of the cable and reduced power available at the PoE device. As we move to higher power PoE Plus applications, dc resistance will become an even greater concern.

https://www.belden.com/blog/smart-b...-Copper-Clad-Aluminum-is-a-Recipe-for-Failure

And System Error, I don't know if you read much about the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster, but it was this kind of reasoning that in large part caused the explosion:

"Another thing that people demonize CCA about is saying that they aren't certified and a fire hazard noting its much lower melting point. When a metal like aluminium turns into a liquid it can actually help reduce a fire by melting onto the fire itself denying it on oxygen."

No, melting aluminum onto a fire will NOT put it out. I think that if UL or any safety organization saw that thinking they would flip their lids. It melts at about 660c/1200f: if your CCA ethernet cable is melting, hoping that "dripping molten aluminum" will put it out is Space Shuttle Challenger thinking.

Space Shuttle SRBs, Solid Rocket Boosters, were KNOWN to have O-ring problems when it was cold out. Less than 50 degrees F as I recall? This was reported by Morton Thiokal engineers more than once. They said the design needed to be strengthened. They were overruled by someone who said "it's OK, if the first O-ring fails, the second one will just hold tighter." No, it won't. Then, during the investigation in the aftermath, Richard Feynman asked NASA administrators "what had been done to test the O-rings under cold conditions". The NASA person testifying said "we really didn't have a way to to do". So Feynman took the sample O-ring he had in front of him, dipped it into his pitcher of ice water, let it cool down, then took it out, and banged it on the table, since it was hard as rock (and therefore wouldn't make a good seal).

Again, melting aluminum in a fire is not your friend.

CCA does not meet UL and other standards. CCA is brittle. CCA has higher electrical resistance.

CCA's one positive is that it is cheap, about half the cost of good solid copper cable.

So, I would recommend:

stranded pure copper for patch cables

solid pure copper ethernet cable for structural runs.

And, building codes requires certified cable, and CCA won't be certified.

System Error, I am very grateful to the good people here, like you, who make helpful posts--Merlin has been very very good to me! Just adding this here since in the reading I have done, CCA is the devil.

Again, I am not selling anything, no conflicts of interest etc.

Thanks System

Remember you are going to have problems with copper clad and POE and the variants. Run solid copper. The labor is the same.

Your gauge needs to be thicker for aluminum to match copper.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!