What's new

Fastest AP/router under $100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AtotehZ

New Around Here
Hello guys,

I'm sharing the net with my neighbor. I trust the guy(known him 2 decades and his net use) so I'm fine with him being on my network.

I want a setup similar to this:
network configuration.png

It's the new ap/router I need advice on.

What would you buy under $100 if it must have at least 1 Gigabit LAN and WAN port each and as fast as possible wifi?

I tried an Ubiquiti airCube AC, but its speeds were abysmal. Only 80Mbit max on wifi.

I might actually have the one for the job...

I have an AC66U already, just not B1. I'm not so held up on it needing AiMesh or Merlin firmware(AC66U is no longer supported afaik). He doesn't have huge requirements.

Sold it to my mom when I set up their net, but it's looking more and more like she doesn't need it.

She's using a TP-Link Deco M9+ mesh instead. They have a huge place(over 5000sqft), so being able to add on more units to cover wifi is a big plus for them.

Just gotta figure out how to return the aircube then -.- Not sure the company I bought it from will like it.

Last edited:
What would you buy under $100 if it must have at least 1 Gigabit LAN and WAN port each and as fast as possible wifi?

Believe it or not - Linksys WRT1900AC

Second hand they're pretty cheap, and while somewhat limited on the stock firmware, they're solid on WiFi performance, and running OpenWRT, they're stout on the routing side.

If you have an older RT-AC68U, they're also a very good choice, and probably better supported community-wise on the forums here - for your use case, don't really need B1 or later - and RMerlin builds, IIRC, are still supporting that device...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!