What's new

Feature request: Captive portal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hobu

New Around Here
I've been quite happy with my AC66U, but one disappointing thing is the lack of captive portal. I know that you aren't so excited to drop lots of new features into your fork. This and L2TP server would be my only wishlist features to add to otherwise quite perfect product.

Any chance to drop this into the next release?

Thanks

Neither are currently planned for the near future, sorry.

DNS Redirector will implement captive portal with any AP or router (so long as you can change the default DNS server for the LAN DHCP scope, to the IP of the DNS Redirector server) That's how I'd do it.

Some of the other third party firmwares have captive portal already.

Are those are complete firmware replacements? Merlin's firmware is very focussed on stability and improvements to existing functionality and code from Asus, rather than adding lots of new functionality. I can imagine a lot of requests like this will be considered "beyond the scope" of what Merlin is trying to do with his firmware variants.

Maybe you could do something with Optware? Or you might even have to switch to one of those other firmware that implement the functionality you want.

Some of the other third party firmwares have captive portal already.

I'm not aiming at becoming another Tomato or DD-WRT, because by then there would be no point in the existence of this project if it simply offered everything that the alternative already offer. And to be honest, I see no reason for a home router to have a captive portal either.

"I'm not aiming at becoming another Tomato"

I understand. That is why I directed the person who requested it to a FW that already includes it.

If I were Merlin I wouldn't be adding it to the FW either. Me personally I don't quite understand why several of the enhancements have been put in the available FW's not just Captive Portal. But different strokes for different folks. If others want/need such things, more power to them.

"Are those are complete firmware replacements?"

Yes. And stable as well.

I'm NOT trying to push one over the other. Just pointing out you have credible options IF you want a Captive Portal application in your FW.

In my humble experience Toastman's are the most stable and stay up-to-date.

I want straight forward stable fast supported and easily updatable by keeping the FW in the Asus family if you will. While I play with some of the other FW's I'm sticking with Merlin's FW for those reason.

Can you someone provide a link to the Tomato firmware I might try out to provide this? It is really confusing as to what will work, many links point to firmwares that are seemingly quite old, and the fear of bricking my box permeates.

The Merlin build has otherwise been rock stable for me, and I've been quite happy with it. Thanks for providing it.

Can you someone provide a link to the Tomato firmware I might try out to provide this? It is really confusing as to what will work, many links point to firmwares that are seemingly quite old, and the fear of bricking my box permeates.

The Merlin build has otherwise been rock stable for me, and I've been quite happy with it. Thanks for providing it.

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-104-EN/Asus RT-N66u 64k/

Not all builds have captive portal so check the builds image to see which have captive portal.

Builds- http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-N/build5x-101-EN/builds.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!