What's new

[Fork] 374.43 LTS Beta including new rev AC68U routers (V27BI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random observation @john9527 , in the network map, if we set a static IP reservation for a MAC address, and the host has an assigned hostname, is the network map limited to 14char to display that name?

I never noticed before, but seems my clients with over 14 char get truncated at the 14th character:

for example "raspberrypihole"
raspberrypihole.png
Yes, that's correct....I found an inconsistency in the buffer allocations, so limited it to the lowest value to prevent a potential buffer overflow. I can take another look if an extra character (to 15 chars) makes a difference.

Would be appreciated, but not required if it breaks something else. Just a cosmetic thing....... Although I can say it's bothersome :) I would say extend to 16 char is possible.

Hey John - Thank you for all the work with these updates!
  • Do you know if this should with H/W Ver: V3 of the RT-AC1900P (RT-AC68U)?
  • Also, any changes to wireless range with the new driver?
I've been running your current fork updates thus far without issue, so just curious since I didn't see the V3 variant mentioned. Thanks again!

Hey John - Thank you for all the work with these updates!
  • Do you know if this should with H/W Ver: V3 of the RT-AC1900P (RT-AC68U)?
  • Also, any changes to wireless range with the new driver?
I've been running your current fork updates thus far without issue, so just curious since I didn't see the V3 variant mentioned. Thanks again!
First I've heard of a 'V3' AC1900P....impossible to keep up with ASUS :) But my best assessment would be if Merlin runs on it, this fork beta should run too.

Just a quick message to say that I've loaded it onto my old A2 model. :) Seems to be running OK at the moment but it's only been about 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

There were a couple of niggles that I suspect are to do with the nvram restore script rather than the firmware.

1. The ftp server was turned off. I'm fairly sure it was on previously but I could be wrong. I think I've experienced this a few times in the past after restoring.

2. QoS > Traffic Classification Statistics page was blank. /tmp/qos was just a skeleton with none of the user defined priorities. Toggled QoS off and on and it's all working now.

Will continue to monitor...

Edit: I did a "normal" restore with a clean.

1. The ftp server was turned off. I'm fairly sure it was on previously but I could be wrong. I think I've experienced this a few times in the past after restoring.
I'll double check this one.....I don't remember any changes here.
2. QoS > Traffic Classification Statistics page was blank. /tmp/qos was just a skeleton with none of the user defined priorities. Toggled QoS off and on and it's all working now.
@cybrnook ran into this too, but I couldn't recreate it. Sigh...I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the feedback!

First I've heard of a 'V3' AC1900P....impossible to keep up with ASUS :) But my best assessment would be if Merlin runs on it, this fork beta should run too.

LOL. Yeah... I agree. Too many flavors. :)

Just as an FYI if helps , I've been running your LTS fork on this model since June 2016 when I picked it up at MicroCenter. (currently on 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-26E4j9527). All have been flawless without issue.

Looks like there was a review done on V3 variant. 1GHz out of box. OCed to 1.2GHz without issue.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...s-ac1900-gigabit-router-reviewed?limitstart=0

I will roll the dice on this build later tonight and see how it goes. ;)

Thanks again

Attachments

• V3_UPC_Label.png
    V3_UPC_Label.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 342
  • V3_Back.png
    V3_Back.png
    724.1 KB · Views: 324
Don't quite understand.....with the script addon he provides a default. With the built in gui support, you need to select your dnscrypt servers after enabling the option.....just select OpenDNS from the dropdown list.

I probably should have explained it more clearly and I mentioned the wrong author, sorry. This is the one I used before, which contains a ddns client apparantly. I have a premium account with OpenDNS, but a dynamic IP. For a premium account to work (e.g. use my customized settings), OpenDNS needs to know my IP. In the script mentioned above, as soon as you select OpenDNS, it asks you whether you want it to auto-update your IP with OpenDNS, which was quite useful. No big deal, I'll just use inadyn or something alike to keep OpenDNS up to date. They provide clients with a GUI for several OS'es, but I want it to run on the router to make bypassing OpenDNS rather difficult.

And thanks for the explanation regarding syslog written to jffs, I expected it to be something like that, but didn't know where the syslog entries for remote logging where provided from. Now I know.

Furthermore, it has been up and running for about 7 hours now, without issues. The only thing I noticed that my speed appears to be capped somewhat with QoS on. Did a speedtest with a quiet network with speedtest-cli, so directly from the router, without QoS I get results (as I'm use to have) just a little over my max up- and downstream. With QoS on, and no (relevant) network activity, the results are about 9% lower (153Mbit vs 139 Mbit on a 150/15 Mbit Docsis 3.0 Cable subscription, Overhead is set at 0). Tested it three times throughout the day, both tests ran within a minute of each other (QoS on and off) That's currently the only thing I can report, which probably can easily be resolved by increasing the bandwith values by 10%, everything else works flawless. Will do so more testing tonight (CET) and report back.

Looks like there was a review done on V3 variant. 1GHz out of box. OCed to 1.2GHz without issue.
Are you referring to AC1900 or AC1900P? AC1900P should be 1.4GHz stock clock....AC1900 is stock 1GHz.
If it's the AC1900, can you try overclocking with just the nvram command and reboot
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

On my AC68P, I can still overclock with this simple method even on the new SDK.

Last edited:
Are you referring to AC1900 or AC1900P? AC1900P should be 1.4GHz stock clock....AC1900 is stock 1GHz.
If it's the AC1900, can you try overclocking with just the nvram command and reboot
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

On my AC68P, I can still overclock with this simple method even on the new SDK.

I previously overclocked (back in June) using those commands. Rock solid. Details below.

Note the 1.0.2.5 CFE...

The thread below seems to only list that under RT-AC68P/V2 (ARM) - (HW Revisions: 2.20), so perhaps that is model?

Model RT-AC68U
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.43_2-26E4j9527
Firmware Build Sun Aug 6 00:09:15 UTC 2017 root@59878e57f
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.2.5
Driver version wl0: Apr 25 2014 11:16:33 version 6.37.14.86 (r456083)
Features mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl WIFI_LOGO nandflash jffs2_scripts ipv6 PARENTAL2 dnsfilter dualwan pptpd printer modem wimax openvpnd HTTPS webdav cloudsync media appnet vpnc timemachine diskutility repeater psta wl6 optimize_xbox wifi_tog_btn nfsd dnssec dnscrypt user_low_rssi ufsd reboot_schedule

CPU Model ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l) - (Cores: 2)
CPU Frequency 1200 MHz

Are you talking about getting the 'exclamation point warning and having to re-enable? For both samba and ftp, if they are enabled with guest access, you will be forced to re-confirm that's what you want after a restore. I did that as a safety measure....so currently working as designed. Should I change it? I'll also add a note on that to the guide for the next update.
I've done a couple of save/factory-reset/restore cycles and still can't recreate this problem. Do you still have the nvram-restore-yyyymmddhhmm-mmm.sh file?

Have you by any chance tried to edit the cfe?
Why? I dont need and i dont want :)
Already stock at 1.4ghz cpu inside,and Wifi seem to be stable.
Just want an "Install and Forget " like my old ac68u(A1,800mhz cpu)

Last edited:
Are you talking about getting the 'exclamation point warning and having to re-enable? For both samba and ftp, if they are enabled with guest access, you will be forced to re-confirm that's what you want after a restore.
No not the exclamation point. My FTP server has anonymous logins disabled. Is it enable_ftp, that doesn't look like it's being restored?

I've done a couple of save/factory-reset/restore cycles and still can't recreate this problem. Do you still have the nvram-restore-yyyymmddhhmm-mmm.sh file?
I've just emailed the files.

@john9527 Any reason one has an explicit path and the other doesn't?
Code:
# ps w | grep mbd
28264 admin     5944 S    nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
28265 admin     6160 S    /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf

@john9527 Any reason one has an explicit path and the other doesn't?
Code:
# ps w | grep mbd
28264 admin     5944 S    nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
28265 admin     6160 S    /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
yes.....there were potentially two versions in different locations that can be used depending on if the tuxera drivers are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!