What's new

Release [Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374 LTS release 51E3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What router? The only recent wireless change was on AC68 that did pick up a new wireless driver with the FragAttack fixes after release 49. I haven't seen any problems across my devices with that update, if anything maybe a bit better (but probably just normal variation).
RT-N66U. I always do a factory reset before and after installing the firmware, I didn't this time and it went bad! Thanks for your answer!

anyway for me to assign client names and icons like the original merlin client list interface? Having just MAC addresses and all the same icons in the client list is not very useful
No. Client name and icons don't exist in this firmware. That is something that Asus added much later when they went to a different code base.

anyway for me to assign client names and icons like the original merlin client list interface? Having just MAC addresses and all the same icons in the client list is not very useful
If all you are seeing in Networkmap is MAC addresses, it means the clients aren't supplying a hostname (some clients I know that are like this are Vizio TVs, nVidia Shields, and some Ring devices). For those to show a name, you need to either
- assign a static IP under LAN > DHCP Server, or
- make a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.config.add file with a line for each client
dhcp-host=mac_address, hostname

The icons are limited as @ColinTaylor mentioned....basically three that I've seen....and beyond the scope of this fork to change.
generic client
some type of server/PC
another ASUS router

If all you are seeing in Networkmap is MAC addresses, it means the clients aren't supplying a hostname (some clients I know that are like this are Vizio TVs, nVidia Shields, and some Ring devices). For those to show a name, you need to either
- assign a static IP under LAN > DHCP Server, or
- make a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.config.add file with a line for each client
dhcp-host=mac_address, hostname

The icons are limited as @ColinTaylor mentioned....basically three that I've seen....and beyond the scope of this fork to change.
generic client
some type of server/PC
another ASUS router
pity. I definitely prefer the more comprehensive client list i had in merlin 380 vs the the minimalist style client list in this firmware.

Anyway ability to assign host names at the very least is useful. Used to be able to do that from the client list screen. Do you have any plans to add that in at some point?

Implementing Asus's more modern client list would be a major undertaking, and probably not doable. It's just not just a web interface implementation, it would also require a lot of code to be adapted and merged into the httpd server, and a switch to the closed source networkmap, which is tied to the Trend Micro engine that this fork doesn't support.

In essence, John would have to re-implement everything himself.

Implementing Asus's more modern client list would be a major undertaking, and probably not doable. It's just not just a web interface implementation, it would also require a lot of code to be adapted and merged into the httpd server, and a switch to the closed source networkmap, which is tied to the Trend Micro engine that this fork doesn't support.

In essence, John would have to re-implement everything himself.
i don't know about other routers but until very recently I've been using your last supported firmware for the AC66U which is 380.70 and it had the client list interface im referring to, so i dont think it needs the closed source trend micro stuff?

Not sure where to ask this, but would it be possible to add the traffic monitor by device\ip ?
I remember this option being present in some old Merlin fw I used to have in the past.

Ty

Not sure where to ask this, but would it be possible to add the traffic monitor by device\ip ?
I remember this option being present in some old Merlin fw I used to have in the past.

Ty
It's already there. Tools - Other Settings > Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)

i don't know about other routers but until very recently I've been using your last supported firmware for the AC66U which is 380.70 and it had the client list interface im referring to, so i dont think it needs the closed source trend micro stuff?
networkmap is compiled model-specific, with different build time options. For the RT-AC68U, John would need a TrendMicro-enabled build of networkmap.

I'm facing DNS delays since updating to 51E3 OR since installing YazFi. Im not sure which since I only just pinned down the problem, but ive been facing intermittent slowness in browsing on all my devices on wireless since moving over. That's because by default all my wired devices have the DNS manually configured, and does not follow the DHCP assigned DNS.

Today however I booted up a machine that was set to get the DNS from the DHCP, and I was experiencing huge delays in resolving URLs and also got frequent DNS timeouts. Went to my network card settings and put in 8.8.8.8 and instantly the DNS resolution delays ended.

Here's what I have set in my router:
LAN DHCP:
Dns server 1: 8.8.8.8, DNS server 2: 8.8.4.4
Advertise Router IP in addition to user specified DNS: NO

WAN DNS:
Connect to DNS server automatically: NO
Dns server 1: 8.8.8.8
Dns server 2: 8.8.4.4
Enable DNS over TLS support: NO
Enable DNSSEC support: NO
Enable DNS Rebind protection: NO
Prevent client auto DoH: Auto

IPv6: Disabled

Parental Controls Off

I'm facing DNS delays since updating to 51E3 OR since installing YazFi. Im not sure which since I only just pinned down the problem, but ive been facing intermittent slowness in browsing on all my devices on wireless since moving over. That's because by default all my wired devices have the DNS manually configured, and does not follow the DHCP assigned DNS.

Today however I booted up a machine that was set to get the DNS from the DHCP, and I was experiencing huge delays in resolving URLs and also got frequent DNS timeouts. Went to my network card settings and put in 8.8.8.8 and instantly the DNS resolution delays ended.

Here's what I have set in my router:
LAN DHCP:
Dns server 1: 8.8.8.8, DNS server 2: 8.8.4.4
Advertise Router IP in addition to user specified DNS: NO

WAN DNS:
Connect to DNS server automatically: NO
Dns server 1: 8.8.8.8
Dns server 2: 8.8.4.4
Enable DNS over TLS support: NO
Enable DNSSEC support: NO
Enable DNS Rebind protection: NO
Prevent client auto DoH: Auto

IPv6: Disabled

Parental Controls Off
There is nothing in those settings that would cause the problem you're describing. Of course by not using the router's built-on DNS server you're loosing the speed benefit of a local cache and the ability to resolve local host names through DNS.

There is nothing in those settings that would cause the problem you're describing. Of course by not using the router's built-on DNS server you're loosing the speed benefit of a local cache and the ability to resolve local host names through DNS.
i've never liked router dns caching i've always found it to be slow and troublesome.

Still doesnt explain the problem im having. Theres nothing in the logs either, but why am I having trouble resolving domains?

i've never liked router dns caching i've always found it to be slow and troublesome.
When was the last time you tried....it works well.

Still doesnt explain the problem im having. Theres nothing in the logs either, but why am I having trouble resolving domains?
Are you also using DNSFilter? If you push external servers to clients via setting in LAN DHCP, and also have those same servers specified in DNSFilter, I can envision you getting into a 'loop' of continually trying to redirect DNS requests (I can't verify right now).

When was the last time you tried....it works well.

Are you also using DNSFilter? If you push external servers to clients via setting in LAN DHCP, and also have those same servers specified in DNSFilter, I can envision you getting into a 'loop' of continually trying to redirect DNS requests (I can't verify right now).
it's been a long time, as in many years. i just dont like dnsmasq implementations in routers. every couple of years i'll do a firmware update that needs a full reset and I always turn off router dns cache immediately.

tried it a few years back with dd-wrt. hated it.
later i switched to tomato and gave it another try. still didn't like it.
then about 2 years ago i got my AC66U and tried it briefly with merlin. Still found the performance unsatisfactory vs just querying the dns directly.

I don't think im using DNSFilter. I certainly didnt set anything up, unless the YazFi install does something?

I don't think im using DNSFilter. I certainly didnt set anything up, unless the YazFi install does something?
I don't use YasFi, so not sure of its inner workings, but if it allows you to set up nameservers for each subnet I could see where it could lead to the same situation I'm thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!