What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if that worked out, the internet connection is there for you but it gets really really slow or you lose packets.
I am not 100% this is a pure software issue.

Things you should try is:
1. different modem
2. check there is no noise when the outage happens
3. check previous firmware 384 or the 386 image that I built with old DSL
4. internet may get slow because for some reasons routing tables are messed up (you can test this be running route -n when it works and there is an outage)

BtW I believe you could get much better and wider support from this forum if you create a thread about this issue, since it gets offtopic now (not related to my firmware).

1. I do not have a spare modem to try, and buying a new modem/router is not my priority right now.
2. Where do I check the noise? Is it on the System Log, DSL Log page? Currently, operating normally, as a reference, I have these values:

U0D1U1D2U2D3U3D4U4
VDSL Band Status
Line Attenuation (dB)2.511.221.829.735.846.7---
Signal Attenuation (dB)-11.520.930.037.147.0---
SNR Margin (dB)19.114.8-14.818.914.719.114.4

3. Yes, that is my plan. I will wait for Asus support to respond to my feedback, if they will. Then I will check your 386 image built with old DSL 1.0.4.9 image.
4. Sorry but I do not have the knowledge of route -n! Please clarify what commands I need to run and where? Windows? SSH shell?

I understand the subject becoming off topic and consider opening a new thread. Thank you for your support.

This morning, while I was using my laptop normally, I encountered this outage event again. Here are some screenshots during the outage:

DSL Log page shows:

VDSL Band Status
U0
D1
U1
D2
U2
D3
U3
D4
U4
Line Attenuation (dB)2.511.221.829.735.846.7---
Signal Attenuation (dB)-11.521.030.037.147.0---
SNR Margin (dB)19.014.8-14.718.915.019.014.6-

1623393250355.png

route -n command from SSH:

[Image deleted]

I issue some of your commands from SSH:

[Image deleted]

After this, I get:

[Image deleted]

Click on Administration, DSL Settings, APPLY: This action normally fixes my outage issue but after manually issuing ifconfig ppp0 down then ifconfig ppp0 up commands from ssh, disconnection persisted. Internet status still shows disconnected. I have a total internet disconnection. Only rebooting solves this.

Route -n when system is working normally:

Does any one of these help to identify the problem?

EDIT: I tested ifconfig ppp0 down and up again, while the system was operational. My router stays disconnected after that. The only way it reconnects is to issue service restart_wan command after that. So, this command will restart the system correctly to operational status (note: on a working modem/router. I will test it when outage occurs again.)

ifconfig ppp0 down; sleep 5s; ifconfig ppp0 up; sleep 5s; service restart_wan

I may be creating a cron job to repeat this at periodic intervals as a last resort. But, it is better to observe the outage and try to find the root cause with experts.

Last edited:
After experiencing another "outage" event this morning, I issued "ifconfig ppp0 down; sleep 5s; ifconfig ppp0 up; sleep 5s; service restart_wan", unfortunately, it did not correct the disconnection problem. It looks like, this event happening every day.
I will wait a couple more days, in case Asus tech support replies, then switch to special gnuton build.

@my_bey please let's continue this discussion in another thread because here it's off-topic and it's not bound the my firmware.
Thanks.

Hi there,
I have released a new alpha version with the latest upstream changes available in the 386.3-beta1

Please check if the new features work for you and report back.
Thanks for your help!

Hi there,
I have released a new alpha version with the latest upstream changes available in the 386.3-beta1

Please check if the new features work for you and report back.
Thanks for your help!
Hello, the interface seems to be much faster, thank you

I realise fixing up the new builds for 386.03 must be taking up most of your time on this, but any chance to resolve the firmware not not generating the required cake commands in /tmp/qos as well? I'm assuming it would have been in the notes if done already, I can't try these builds now I have to wait out DLM, I fear a few soft-reboots too many for trying out alpha1 have caused fastpath to drop and the ISP here that's out of my hands categorically state they cannot do resets.
Obviously I'm hoping /tmp/qos might be the last thing needed to get cake running and hoping it might not be complex.
Thank you for all you work on all of this, I hope you've been getting support despite how quiet the forums have seemed.

Hey @Yakumo sorry for not having fixed that issue yet.
I left for my summer holidays and I do have only a DSL-AC68U here.
For this reason I paused the investigation of that bug.

The ETA for the fix is by middle August, but if somebody manages to understand what's wrong and is willing to test the fixes it can be fixed even earlier.

Last edited:
@GNUton, no need to apologize. Enjoy your holidays! :D

Hi there,
Today I have released a new alpha version based on the latest Merlin 386.3 stable.

The new image can be downloaded from here:

Please test it if you can and report back.

As for now the plan is to release the stable 386.3 during weeks 33-34.

I have just released a new beta. This pre-release comes with the fix for Cake QoS, which now works

Can dsl-ax82u bring internet processing to cpu, like dsl-ac68u where we turned off hw acceleration and ctf