What's new

Beta [FORK] [DSL] [TESTERS] GNUton's Alpha/Beta Merlin builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Regexed I had that with the beta 1 version flashing back to @GNUton stable and all come back, beta 2 and 3 not had that problem.
Also remember web ui is broken, waiting for a fix

Last edited:
This weekend I will most probably release a stable.

We had 3 weeks of testing with 3 pre-release cycles and I have fixed a lot of issues thanks to the feedback that I got from the community.
Each cycle wehad about 500s download, not as big as stable release but enough people for saying the most important things should be fine.

The stable will come with some UI small visual glitches in some models.
These are no functional issues and they will be ironed out in the coming minor releases.
The known issues are listed in https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues if something is missing please report it.

So, I would strongly incourage anyone using my firmware to update to the new stable once out if they care about security.
There are some sweet new stuff and improvements too so there is not a single reason for not doing that.

Last edited:
This weekend I will most probably release a stable.

We had 3 weeks of testing with 3 pre-release cycles and I have fixed a lot of issues thanks to the feedback that I got from the community.
Each cycle wehad about 500s download, not as big as stable release but enough people for saying the most important things should be fine.

The stable will come with some UI small visual glitches in some models.
These are no functional issues and they will be ironed out in the coming minor releases.
The known issues are listed in https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues if something is missing please report it.

So, I would strongly incourage anyone using my firmware to update to the new stable once out if they care about security.
There are some sweet new stuff and improvements too so there is not a single reason for not doing that.
@GNUton
Would seem the known issues log is excluding the issues that have been reported in this thread over the last few days. Are these being excluded for any reason? @TrebleTA has especially taken a lot of time reporting issues to you. I tried to log my additional two issues, but having all sorts of problems signing into github over the last couple of days.

Last edited:
@GNUton you seen the error I've found and posted.

The web Ui is broken to turn leds on and off.
But yes this need to be released now, more so as there is a newer offical firmware to work on.

Last edited:
Once again I thank you all for tesiting. I got feedback from here as well as from other channels and that's great.
@Neil62 all issues mentioned are valid but very small and they do not affect the usage of the router nor the stability.

I filed those bugs here

Important Note

If you flash Merlin on your DSL-AX82U (beta version), you will not be able to restore RGB functionality "if it was broken" when restoring to original firmware!

I tried every possible combination to make sure to restore to the default firmware and then turn ON RGB, but it will not turn ON at all, but only while booting and or going into rescue mode.

whenever the boot process completes, the RGB turns off immediately.
I have tried turning ON/OFF options from the WEB and from the APP nothing worked with each option + reboot right after.
have you factory reset the router after the switching back?

for me the first error I only seen after I have enabled VPN

Jul 14 09:09:35 kernel: [110074.916241] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_sta_info : GET STA INFO failed, -21

after a rebooting the error go's away untill vpn is used again. yet could be wrong...
i'm not sure why i getting this error

Jul 14 17:38:13 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol UDP
Jul 14 17:42:01 miniupnpd[19636]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port 6888, protocol TCP

Also as i said port 80 is getting forwarded by the router when UPNP is enabled yet port 80 should be disabled when HTPPS is selected. that has not been fixed since last stable now I've had a better look. on official this don't happen.

Attachments

• dd.png
    dd.png
    8 KB · Views: 57
Once again I thank you all for tesiting. I got feedback from here as well as from other channels and that's great.
@Neil62 all issues mentioned are valid but very small and they do not affect the usage of the router nor the stability.

I filed those bugs here
For the 802.11b UI issue, make sure you have the fix from commit b757e2ebe4e84e6cc4127875a3197271cc462c47 on my repo. It should have been integrated in a recent GPL, but maybe the fix needs to be manually applied to some sysdep files in your case.

I filed those bugs here
Once again a big thanks for your continued support.

@Neil62 I cannot reproduce this https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/213 it works for me with beta3 on my RT-AX82U and the @RMerlin patch is already there.
as for https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/214 this seems to affect XT8. Investigating..
Just checked issue No 213 again after doing another total reset and rebuild and you are correct, it is working now, on beta 3. Go figure. Thank you.

What about this issue:

Its just my OCD, and you are correct, in that (my reported bugs), does not affect the functionality of the router in anyway. Just cosmetic issues.

Last edited:
have you factory reset the router after the switching back?
yup many many times...

here is what i tried:

1- restore to merlin then factory reset then restore to original firmware
2- restore to merlin then restore to original firmware then factory reset
3- factory reset then restore to merlin then factory reset then restore to original firmware
4- factory reset then restore to original then factory reset then restore to original firmware once again

I also tried all combinations for the LEDs option + RGB
1- from web, turn leds off then reboot
2- from web turn leds off then on then turn on RGB then reboot
3- from web turn RGB off then reboot
4- from web turn RGB off then led off then back on then reboot
5- from app, turn led off then reboot
6- from app, turn led on then RGB on then reboot
7- from app, turn led on then RGB off then reboot
8- from app turn RGB on/off then reboot

I also tried couple of factory resets and restore firmware on the below:
1- turn off led and rgb
2- turn on led and turn off rgb
3- tuirn on led and turn on rgb

non worked although as i said, the RGB works on boot and turns off on boot completion.

Important note: i don't have issues with leds, i have issues with RGB only.

my only hope is wait for the stable release to restore to it and then factory reset and see how it goes. So far i am not upgrading to beta 3 because i fear some more things could break.

Last edited:
I can't believe i tried everything with the beta version...
thank you TrebleTA it worked with the stable version!

:D insane amount of time spent on a small detail that i missed beta/stable
I'm glad its sorted now, that was how I fixed it when i had the problem. And sorry when I say LED, I mean RGB...

Last edited:
@GNUton Apart from The other problems I've said,
I have noticed that some of my devices dont like to switch to 5g, after changing some settings like enabling or disabling ipv6, rebooting the router fixs the problem.

Also under open nat if you say select a game for say xbox, then selected another game if the game used the same ports, them ports can get forwarded twice to the same ip, i need to check offical see if it's the same.

Any news on the new stable or you delaying due to the new offical being releases?
@GNUton
Ya, he has been pretty quiet for a week now, not normal by his standard. Anyways, just thankful havening him on-board for support/development, Patience is a virtue

Last edited:
Hi, apologize if this is already a well-known thing, but if you have a GT-AX11000 with RMerlin’s 386.5_2 or 386.7 firmwares installed, if you buy a new Zenwifi XT8 as a node with the factory firmware installed, you can’t add it to the GT-AX11000–it refused to connect for me after five or six tries.

What happens in these failed setups is the XT8 starts with the solid blue light and is initially recognized by the AX11000. Then it cycles back to the green start up light, and then to blinking blue—but instead of resolving at white, it goes back to solid blue and disconnects from the setup process.

The way I ultimately got it to work was to factory reset the XT8s, connect them via Ethernet to my laptop, and install the latest stable GNUton firmware first (386.5_2) so that it matched the firmware on the AX11000. Then I was able to add all the nodes to the AX11000 without problem. Heads up though—I was only able to add them via the AX11000 GUI. When I tried with the iPhone app, it failed.

I’m waiting for the release of the stable 386.7 for the XT8s to see how well it plays with RMerlin’s release of the AX11000. The nice thing was that with all these factory resets, my WAN download speed test jumped from 595 to 975 and my whole mesh system is working smoother than it ever has!