What's new

Frequencies and how to achieve maximum speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

captainFrantic

New Around Here
I'm new to networking, but am very interested in it. My network setup involves a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway (CG814GCMR), a Linksys-N Broadband Router (WRT160N), and a D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.B). The Netgear was given to me by my ISP, so I'm not sure if I have to use that or not. I realize that having three different brands is probably half my problem, just bare with me... I'm a newbie so any tips or knowledge would be very helpful in whatever form.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of my current setup. I've been looking through this article and the frequencies (802.11n,b,g) are confusing me. My D-Link AirPlus XtremeG Wireless Utility tells me that when I'm connected to the Netgear, it says I'm on the 802.11g frequency. And when I'm connected to the Linksys-N it says I'm on the 802.11b frequency whereas the article is about 802.11n. I want to be on the best frequency, whatever that frequency is, so what do I need to do to achieve this?

Visual representation

Netgear CG814GCMR====Linksys WRT160N ))) D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520

This article will give you a quick rundown of the differences between A/B/G/N. Basically, G is the defacto standard nowadays with virtually every product supporting it. N is faster and offers better range, but is a fairly new standard (which hasn't become 'official' yet), so support is still growing.

Your computers will connect to the router at the fastest speed that both support. Your wireless router supports N, but your wireless PCI card does not, only supporting G. Therefore, your computer should be able to connect at 'G' speeds. If it will only connect at 'B' signal/speeds, then there might be a setting on the computer or router which is limiting the speeds. Log into your router and you should be able to check and see what it's set at. You'd be best to set your router to G-Only mode (no need for B or N support). You can also go into the advanced properties of your wireless card (via. device manager) and ensure it's set to play nicely in G. Providing both are set to handle G, there shouldn't be much else. Signal can play a factor too - even if everything's connecting in 'G' mode, with a poor signal the speeds will still drop quite a bit.

G (54Mbit/s) is just fine for regular internet, email, and transferring the odd file here and there. For streaming video, HD content, or transferring large files it wont hold a candle to a plain-old wired connection.

802.11a/b/g/n are wireless LAN standards that operate in the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands. The letters refer to wireless modes when used in router configuration.

802.11b and g operate in the 2.4 GHz band
802.11a operates in the 5 GHz band
Draft 802.11n operates in both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

What PCI card would you guys recommend? It's about time I got a new one.

If you have a DLINK wireless N then get DLINK or Trendnet. Frankly anyone can work I've tested Buffalo, Belkin and Trendnet with DLINK.

If you have a DLINK wireless N then get DLINK or Trendnet. Frankly anyone can work I've tested Buffalo, Belkin and Trendnet with DLINK.

I have a D-Link currently, wouldn't it be best if it were a Linksys to go along with my router? I was thinking more specifically which PCI card. Thanks for the help guys/gals.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!