What's new

Future proofing which model to focus on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Galaxysurfer

Regular Contributor
I currently have an AC68U. Does this model still have lots of life left in it now with switch to 382 & 384 code series? I am looking forward to the added ipsec & let's encrypt capabilities coming down the pike. Can I continue to milk lots of life out of this model yet or should I prepare for a switch to AC86U or whatever future models come on scene? Thanks to you Merlin for all you do on our behalf to keep our networks connecting & flowing smoothly! I am grateful I switched to Asus-wrt brand wifi routers after a TP Link model bit the dust.

Galaxysurfer

Go an 86u that is his recomendation.

Depends on what you are trying to do with your router.

The 68U is 800mhz w/ 256mb ram.
The 86U is 1,800mhz w/ 512mb ram.

Are you limited in anyway currently?

If you have a faster CPU you can achieve faster VPN speeds if you run a server (since the VPN has to encrypt/decrypt all traffic) as it passes through.
If you have a faster CPU you and have non-hardware accelerated routing, the maximum possible speeds will increase.
If you have a faster CPU/more, you can have more simultaneous NAS clients and increase throughput.

Hardware acceleration can handle a full gigabit of data transfer, while if that is disabled the CPU can chew through ~300mbps.

If you are using features like AiProtect or AdaptiveQOS then hardware routing is disabled. Instead of the routing being done with the special hardware chip (ASIC), all the data will have to get parsed and evaulated with the use of CPU power.

If you have nothing enabled on the router and it's in working order, you don't have much of a reason to update, unless you want some newer features that ASUS is offering really entice you.

The reason are really user specific.

This router is still getting security patches, so its not abandoned/obsolete. I got fiber internet, but I still kept my on 68U since it's still good enough for me.

My AC1900P has a 1500mhz processor and I believe newer 68U have fasrter cpu's also now

If you are using features like AiProtect or AdaptiveQOS then hardware routing is disabled. Instead of the routing being done with the special hardware chip (ASIC), all the data will have to get parsed and evaulated with the use of CPU power.

CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) is still done, which is hardware NAT. Its FA that is not compatible with the trend modules and gets disabled. I don't know what FA (flow assistance) actually does in hardware.
Merlin has previously stated that CTF is the most significant part of hardware acceleration.

CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) is still done, which is hardware NAT. Its FA that is not compatible with the trend modules and gets disabled. I don't know what FA (flow assistance) actually does in hardware.
Merlin has previously stated that CTF is the most significant part of hardware acceleration.

Correct.

Still comparing my currently dated 68u to my ancient wrt54g, it's not like I load web pages any faster between the two monumentous tech advancements.

With that gigantic upgrade I got
-gigabit ports
-new wifi tech
-significantly more software features
-large amount of ram let's me sustain huge amounts of connections without crashing.

If OP is not limited by his router, I think the upgrade is not that huge. But if budget isn't an issue, better tech is better tech.

His call.

Thanx for all the input. I was thinking of future support by merlin on various models for starters as well as security features. I use Nordvpn. I want to have other options besides openvpn possibly the ipsec & let's encrypt? I run the ipsec on mobile phone now. I may selfhost website & or email etc. looking at future options & covering all my bases. Also would like to increase the ram capacity like switching from 68u to 86u would do. I do use the Aiprotect & adaptive QOS features. The trendmicro malware filter has been a godsend at times. Getting hardware routing capability back would be nice as well. The only shortcomings I have with 68u now is using multiple openvpn clients -doesn't work right for me. ( not sure how much of that is on router & my configuring skills & how much on Nordvpn) And future capacity of running 2 ips at once ( not just fallbackmode) if service is disrupted. I guess the obvious answer to that issue is use multiple routers. I do have some coverage blindspots as well that hopefully the new mesh feature will solve? Thanx again for indulging my thinking out loud! :p;):) PS I have GB Fibre IP so want to surf at fastest possible speed. I do have a NEED for speed! lol