What's new

RT-AC68 future

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

I have RT-AC68P, and it satisfies all my needs and then some. But since it's already somewhat outdated model, looking into the future, should I be concerned that in couple of years the support for it may stop, like it did for RT-AC66U ?

Concerned? No. Not until it stops receiving security updates or doesn't do something you want it to. Why worry about a problem that doesn't exist yet.

A couple of years is a long time for electronics.
Unless/until you get 1Gbps+ for your service and/or your client devices no longer support WiFi5/Wireless-AC, your biggest concern will be security, as someone else said, after hardware failure.

I just donated similar model router running stock Asuswrt. It works perfectly for the purpose and even after EOL the built-in AiProtection will perhaps still receive signature updates. Still good hardware given the fact in many places Internet speeds over 100Mbps are unavailable, too expensive or simply not really needed.

> or simply not really needed.

Comcast's entry-level offering, 75Mbps for $30/month, is enough for 3 simultaneous 4K TV streams. I wonder who ever needs more, and what for.

I have RT-AC68P, and it satisfies all my needs and then some. But since it's already somewhat outdated model, looking into the future, should I be concerned that in couple of years the support for it may stop, like it did for RT-AC66U ?

Hardware starts to age out...

The best time to upgrade old hardware is when they're still working as expected.

Then, you can leisurely test any new model you buy. And decide to keep it on actual improvements, and not merely because you needed 'something' to replace the defective old system at some unknown, future timeframe.

The best time to upgrade old hardware is when they're still working as expected.

Then, you can leisurely test any new model you buy. And decide to keep it on actual improvements, and not merely because you needed 'something' to replace the defective old system at some unknown, future timeframe.
Pure consumerist mindset...

Yes, it may be. But when relying on consumer-quality hardware for products and services that are effectively essential to modern life, one should act accordingly.

Alternately, one can run around like a chicken with their head cut off when the hardware fails or the security is breached. That's always a good look too.

When a customer asks me about the 'future' of a 10-year-old 'tech' product, I gently remind them (like I did with my post above) that they're looking in the rear-view mirror, not the future).

This mindset is called keeping the infrastructure alive. And if one buys today or in a few weeks or months, there is little difference except in the peace of mind of knowing that the decision wasn't rushed, and the replacement is adding real value instead of just having the status quo (of the network) remain.

Concerned? No. Not until it stops receiving security updates or doesn't do something you want it to. Why worry about a problem that doesn't exist yet.
I think, the following announcement means exactly that?

386.13 (7-Apr-2024)​
- NOTE: all the models supported by Asuswrt-Merlin on the​
386_xx series are now officialy on Asus' End of Life​
list, which means unless there are new major security​
issues, no new updates will be provided by Asus.​
Asuswrt-Merlin will tentatively attempt to continue to​
provide updates and fixes until the end of 2024, at which​
point all the 386_xx models will no longer be actively​
maintained.​

386.13 (7-Apr-2024)​
maintained.​
This announcement was made in April, after @ColinTaylor's original statement back in February...

386.13 (7-Apr-2024)​
maintained.​
The Asus updated EOL announcement that EOL'd most if not all AC series routers including the RT-AC68U was made in March, after ColinTaylor's February post. More discussion on that EOL and where RMerlin is taking the firmware: