What's new

Gig WAN on 68Mbps VDSL?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrHoneyBear

Occasional Visitor
My ISP is sky fibre upto 68mbps d/l speed.

I have a tplink W9770 operating in bridge mode with everything router wise turned ooff. It has 10/100 connection to my router , an ax6600XT8. My ISP is sky fibre VDSL 68Mbps.

Is there any benefit of connecting another modem that has a Gig port using a cat6 cable to the Gig port on my XT8. My ISP speed means i wont see any speed benefit but would throughput/bandwidth, quality change...sorry i dont know much about these things so apolin advance if dumb.

?

Generally the simpler you can keep things the better. If you need physical ports, adding a network switch to your XT8 could be useful. If you need more WiFi bandwidth, adding an access point connected via ethernet some distance from the XT8 might help. A WiFi extender or Wireless Mesh unit could be helpful in some circumstances. It all depends on what the problem you have is!
So let us know what issues you are seeing and maybe someone here can help a little more!

Is the TP-L provided by your ISP? Can you ask them for a newer/better model?

Does the Fibre connection offer an Ethernet Port (ONT), or is a VDSL modem required?

I do not doubt that the old TP-L equipment you have installed is negatively impacting your online experience. But I don't believe a newer VDSL modem (if one is necessary) will make an appreciable difference for the cost involved (if you're considering buying one yourself).

As long as you are plugging all your wired devices into your XT8, your LAN network is as fast as it can be, as is the WiFi from the XT8. And the WAN connection to the TP-L at 100Mbps is higher than your paid-for ISP speeds too, so there should be no bottleneck there either.

As the poster above suggests, let us know what issues you may be trying to solve. If you're just playing 'what if' right now, without any real reasons to need a hardware change, then I suggest you save your money or look for alternate ISPs with true Fibre connections if they're available in your area for a substantial upgrade to your online experience.

sounds like I may have worded the question in a difficult way. let me try agian please.

1. I have no issue/problem,just a query,a question

2. question is whether a gigabit wan port on the vdsl modem makes any difference to the local network performance when mutliple WIFI cliients are accessing the internet, as opposed to having a modem with 100mbps .port.

3. to frame the context:
- all clients are WIFI6 AX and connect at around 2Gpbs go the router.
- the router connects to the modem with a cat6 quality cable.
- the broadbamd vdsl link.dowload speed is 68mpbs

ah ok, it was just tbat i had been told its like a 2 lane highway with cars all doing 68 mps in lane 1, then, a car in lane 2 arrives and it also does 68 mph. so no car and do more than the 68 limit but the width of the highway means you get more cars on it...?

ah ok, it was just tbat i had been told its like a 2 lane highway with cars all doing 68 mps in lane 1, then, a car in lane 2 arrives and it also does 68 mph. so no car and do more than the 68 limit but the width of the highway means you get more cars on it...?
No, that analogy is wrong. If your ISP download speed is 68Mbps that's the most you will get in the download direction.

As long as you are plugging all your wired devices into your XT8, your LAN network is as fast as it can be, as is the WiFi from the XT8. And the WAN connection to the TP-L at 100Mbps is higher than your paid-for ISP speeds too, so there should be no bottleneck there either.