What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarshallZA

New Around Here
Hi SNB Peoples,

I had a GT-AXE11000 until i dropped it this weekend. Like really badly. Like Paul Walker in a Porsche GT bad.

I have ordered a GT-AX6000 to replace her, unlike the AXE11000 the AX6000 has Dual 2.5GbE ports.

What I want to know is the following:

I am going to plug my 1 Gig fibre line into the one 2.5GbE WAN port.

Traditionally you would then plug the other 2.5GbE LAN/WAN port into your main PC.

Is it possible to put a 2.5GbE switch between that 2nd 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port and multiple PC's?

I have multiple PC's with 2.5GbE ports, and it would make transferring files between them over the LAN alot faster.

I am just not sure this is possible? Will the router get confused or have an existential crisis or something?

Should be getting the router by Wednesday this week.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Is it possible to put a 2.5GbE switch between that 2nd 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port and multiple PC's?
Yes you can do that (assuming the port is configured for LAN). Should be no different than putting a switch on one of the router's 1Gb LAN ports to expand the wired network.

Yes you can do that (assuming the port is configured for LAN). Should be no different than putting a switch on one of the router's 1Gb LAN ports to expand the wired network.
fantastic. i hope so. because i tried it with the GT-AXE11000 and it went absolutely haywire when I tried to do it. but that guide did say it was dedicated gaming PC port.

I have multiple PC's with 2.5GbE ports, and it would make transferring files between them over the LAN alot faster.

In this case your router doesn't even need to have 2.5GbE ports. Your 2.5GbE capable devices will communicate between each other through the switch. A router with 2.5GbE ports is only good if you have >Gigabit WAN. Gaming Port also doesn't matter much. Get an unmanaged 2.5GbE switch.

In this case your router doesn't even need to have 2.5GbE ports. Your 2.5GbE capable devices will communicate between each other through the switch. A router with 2.5GbE ports is only good if you have >Gigabit WAN. Gaming Port also doesn't matter much. Get an unmanaged 2.5GbE switch.
yes i have got a tp-link 2.5GbE unmanaged switch.

A router with 2.5GbE ports is only good if you have >Gigabit WAN.
It's also good for Wifi clients, as you can fairly easily hit the 1 Gbps barrier with Wifi 6. That would allow a Wifi client to exceed 1 Gbps when talking to a NAS, for example.

In theory, but in reality it needs not guaranteed 160MHz wide channel, a client with 160MHz support and a quiet Wi-Fi environment. Common 2-stream 80MHz client can't reach Gigabit and usually the available channel bandwidth limits the throughput further. Nothing Wi-Fi can beat the 2.5GbE switch.

Not yet. WiFi 7 is poised to change all that.

On the switch side, I've a TP-Link TL-SH1008 connected to my GT-X6000. It has 2.5Gbps, 1Gbps, and 100Mbps devices all working happily together!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!