What's new

Gigabit Tx/Rx rates yet slow transfer speeds over wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you give a diagram of your network setup and testing environment?

I dumbed everything down to Verizon FIOS ONT connected to GT-AX11000 (on WAN port) and iPhone 15 Pro connected to the AX SSID. That's it.
That's the entire network at the moment. My testing environment is a NYC apartment with many neighbors' wifi networks leaking through the walls.
I still get ~800Mbps down, which is great, but an absolute maximum of ~100Mbps up with this setup. The upload is crap and I can't figure out why.

Perform a full reset to factory defaults. Test again.

Hmmm - WiFI5 connection...

Client - Dell Latitude with QCA61x4A - Windows 10
Host - Ubuntu 20.04
SW - LIbreSpeed
Browser - Chrome

A bit slow perhaps - but uplink/downlink are fairly equal.

librespeed_wifi5.png

I still get ~800Mbps down, which is great, but an absolute maximum of ~100Mbps up with this setup. The upload is crap and I can't figure out why.

What is your source and sink - host/destination - and how exactly are you testing?

I just did complete factory reset of the GT-AX11000 via control panel, afterwards wps hold, and afterwards reset via pinhole button.
Setup 3 SSIDs from scratch and connected only my MacBook to the 3rd one ("SMTEST-6G") without changing anything at all, factory setup.

Testing hardwired router directly to Verizon's ONT:
Ran Speedtest directly on the router and clocked it at almost 100% saturation, 925 down and 939 up, <4ms ping so absolutely great.
Ok so router hardwired to ONT is pulling full speed in both directions.

Now onto wifi testing on my MacBook Pro (2021):
Had a look at WiFi Explorer and I can see that my network is on top of the list, ch. 161 at 80 MHz, 5% channel utilization with 61 dB SNR.
Checked System Log > Wireless Log and saw 720 Rx / 1,020 Tx with -62 dBm RSSI, and -87 dBm Noise levels. I guess RSSI could be better...
Ran Ookla Speedtest to the same server I ran on the router and got 582 down and 215 up.

Afterwards, I also connected my iPhone 15 Pro (2023):
Ran Ookla Speedtest to the same server I ran on the router and got 415 down and 120 up.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.43.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.20.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.06.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.21.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 8.24.44 PM.png

...and the iPhone test

P.S. I also replaced the LAN cable between the router and ONT just in case, same result...

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 9.01.57 PM.png

I just also re-attached my NUC that I have an i7 in with 64GB RAM and 2TB Gen4 NVMe SSD running headless Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS to the 2.5Gbit port on the Asus.
Installed iPerf in Docker on the NUC and ran down / up tests on the MacBook and on the iPhone and got similar results: fast download, slow upload.
So it's definitely not an issue with the ISP, not an issue with their ONT, as the upload is still slow even on local level (iPhone to router to NUC).
Even when I disconnect the Internet altogether and run upload to the hardwired NUC from my MacBook, it never breaks 200Mbps and I am 5 ft away from the router.

I'm not seeing a wifi issue here...

WAN-LAN, maybe...

Just as a thought, any QoS measures in place?

I'm not seeing any issues here. The numbers are in the expected range.

What I would test next is to put the computer on max performance and test again.

Also, test different Control Channels, be sure you reboot the router and verify the new channel is used. Don't use a WiFi 'app' while you're testing (affects the tests), and don't worry about what channel you choose to test, just test them all.

It would also be worth to reboot everything and re-test after 5 minutes or so.

Can you test with a different browser? Different speedtest? Disable/uninstall any extensions in use? Try/test all of the above.

Don't use an app to test with. Use a browser in 'incognito' or equivalent mode.

Perform an electrical reset of the entire network. ONT, Router, Switches, Client devices, etc., then, test again. (Turn off all equipment, remove AC plug from wall plug, and turn all power switches to the 'on' position. Leave for a minute or more. Power up everything in the order of your diagram, and wait for everything to be fully booted before powering on the next piece of kit.

How likely are you to recommend Apple devices to a friend? 0, Even if they owe me a few thousand $$$$.

It's time to test the wireless with non-Apple products before blame can be squarely laid on the router. It's the only way to be sure. Unless you've yet to reset the wireless on those products...

i suspect the issue is the same as this

if you do a test to the intranet (local network) on wifi i suspect you will get full wifi upload speed. but any wifi upload to the internet gets capped. the above thread details two different environment with exactly the same issue.

There are similar threads with wifi upload issues on asus AX going years back. And there is no fix or reasons given ever. If anyone has a solution I will be glad to try

I just also re-attached my NUC that I have an i7 in with 64GB RAM and 2TB Gen4 NVMe SSD running headless Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS to the 2.5Gbit port on the Asus.
Installed iPerf in Docker on the NUC and ran down / up tests on the MacBook and on the iPhone and got similar results: fast download, slow upload.
So it's definitely not an issue with the ISP, not an issue with their ONT, as the upload is still slow even on local level (iPhone to router to NUC).
Even when I disconnect the Internet altogether and run upload to the hardwired NUC from my MacBook, it never breaks 200Mbps and I am 5 ft away from the router.
install iperf app on your iphone. do a test from the iphone to your NUC (intranet) i bet you that you get full wifi upload speed on intranet.

Certainly doesn't look normal to me. I have an RT-AX58U with 1.0 up/down Gbps fiber service from AT&T. Here is a speed test from an android phone. Granted this is an ideal condition (quiet network, AX connection, 5GHz, next room over from (actually above of) router.

SmartSelect_20240211_035741_Speedtest.jpg

I'm not seeing any issues here. The numbers are in the expected range.

What I would test next is to put the computer on max performance and test again.

Also, test different Control Channels, be sure you reboot the router and verify the new channel is used. Don't use a WiFi 'app' while you're testing (affects the tests), and don't worry about what channel you choose to test, just test them all.

It would also be worth to reboot everything and re-test after 5 minutes or so.

Can you test with a different browser? Different speedtest? Disable/uninstall any extensions in use? Try/test all of the above.

Don't use an app to test with. Use a browser in 'incognito' or equivalent mode.

Perform an electrical reset of the entire network. ONT, Router, Switches, Client devices, etc., then, test again. (Turn off all equipment, remove AC plug from wall plug, and turn all power switches to the 'on' position. Leave for a minute or more. Power up everything in the order of your diagram, and wait for everything to be fully booted before powering on the next piece of kit.

How likely are you to recommend Apple devices to a friend? 0, Even if they owe me a few thousand $$$$.
Why would the expectation be that your upload is a one fifth of your download, when you should have the exact same bandwidth and capability in each direction?

It's time to test the wireless with non-Apple products before blame can be squarely laid on the router. It's the only way to be sure. Unless you've yet to reset the wireless on those products...
Just re-tested with an HP EliteBook 845 G8 which runs Windows 10 and has an Realtek RTL8822CE adapter, capable of 866Mbps.
Running Google speedtest I get 550 down and 90 up, running Ookla app on that same unit nets me 595 down and 92 up.
You can see below that client is connected at full speed both directions and has excellent RSSI and Noise levels.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 7.12.32 AM.png

i suspect the issue is the same as this

if you do a test to the intranet (local network) on wifi i suspect you will get full wifi upload speed. but any wifi upload to the internet gets capped. the above thread details two different environment with exactly the same issue.

There are similar threads with wifi upload issues on asus AX going years back. And there is no fix or reasons given ever. If anyone has a solution I will be glad to try
This is the exact same issue I am facing, and I didn't see that thread before, thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!