What's new

Glitch with 384.X on RT-AC3100? Router hangs after 18 hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sheltonfilms

New Around Here
Ok so I got on my router admin page a week ago and noticed I got the "Korean language change" hack. I was running 380.67 (build from 7/16/2017) and never had an issue before.

I did a factory reset and loaded 384.6 and then performed another reset since it was such a big jump in FW updates. Well after about 18ish hours of up time my wifi drops and I can't access the router even through a wired connection. First five LEDs are rock solid with no flicker at all. Nothing in the logs either. Power cycle is the only fix.

Did a couple more resets and same thing.

Switch to the latest ASUS official release and same thing, up for 3/4 of a day then locked up.

I saw a post somewhere that said that 384.x has an issue with drivers but that was all it said.

I switched to 382.1_2 and I've been live for 24 hours now. So it seems my problem is fixed in the older releases.

What the heck is going on? Anyone seen this?

Ok so I got on my router admin page a week ago and noticed I got the "Korean language change" hack. I was running 380.67 (build from 7/16/2017) and never had an issue before.

I did a factory reset and loaded 384.6 and then performed another reset since it was such a big jump in FW updates. Well after about 18ish hours of up time my wifi drops and I can't access the router even through a wired connection. First five LEDs are rock solid with no flicker at all. Nothing in the logs either. Power cycle is the only fix.

Switch to the latest ASUS official release and same thing, up for 3/4 of a day then locked up.

I saw a post somewhere that said that 384.x has an issue with drivers but that was all it said.

I switched to 382.1_2 and I've been live for 24 hours now. So it seems my problem is fixed in the older releases.

I have a ac3100 and I'm running 384.7 alpha3 no problems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetwor...s_rt_n66u_changed_its_language_to_korean_and/

'Also if you are or had used the Asus router app for your phone, update that as well on your phone as prior to the latest version (they fixed it after users reported the issue), when it initially connected to the router, it would enable the web UI admin on the WAN side, thus leaving your router vulnerable to exploit of the numerous HTTP vulns in the firmware."

Google search has a lot of info on this. You are/were not alone.

Ive had no such issues with mine. Im still on 384.5. Been solid so havent changed it. Hard to even guess yur issue yet but overheating maybe? Is it in a tight space or stuff stacked in it?

Ive had no such issues with mine. Im still on 384.5. Been solid so havent changed it. Hard to even guess yur issue yet but overheating maybe? Is it in a tight space or stuff stacked in it?

It sits on top of laser printer that is off 99% of the time. The other 5 sides are wide open, so no ventilation issues.

power cycle and clear nvram always address those weird issue for me (espeically not fixed after couple factory reset), so I always do it when there is code base change in firmware.

power it off for 30 sec +, hold wps button while powering on
wait till power led start blinking/flashing then release the wps button.
now wait for the router to properly reboot and you can re-configure from there.

Last edited:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetwor...s_rt_n66u_changed_its_language_to_korean_and/

'Also if you are or had used the Asus router app for your phone, update that as well on your phone as prior to the latest version (they fixed it after users reported the issue), when it initially connected to the router, it would enable the web UI admin on the WAN side, thus leaving your router vulnerable to exploit of the numerous HTTP vulns in the firmware."

Google search has a lot of info on this. You are/were not alone.

This has been sort of an ongoing issue - main thing to consider is not exposing any services to the outside world, and that include OpenVPN server, HTTP server, HTTPS, and SSH...

Because of the reset to Korean, some suggest that it's the NORK's, but I'm thinking it could be anyone - the Russians, Chinese, Nork's, or even anyone in the Five Eye's to make the NORK's look bad.

There's some thought there is a undisclosed vuln, and a fair amount of noise around it.

With factory firmware, and closing down services that could be exposed... you minimize the threat surface...

power cycle and clear nvram always address those weird issue for me (espeically not fixed after couple factory reset), so I always do it when there is code base change in firmware.

power it off for 30 sec +, hold wps button while powering on
wait till power led start blinking/flashing then release the wps button.
now wait for the router to properly reboot and you can re-configure from there.

Did that too. Same issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!