What's new

Going insane - "The specified network name is no longer available"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hypothesis on what happened....On the older router firmware, enabling Master Browser with SMBv1 would always be active regardless of the Enable sharing setting (you would still be sharing with it sharing off without knowing it, hence the change), You probably had Master Browser set.

Agreed. But I do remember now - going into this area and playing around a bit in the last few weeks. Did not think it had any immediate impact to the whole bloody network. I also did not spend any specific time trying to add computers to Desktop Central since they were all added for months anyway - I stumbled on this issue quite by accident.

Windows removed SMBv1 support (especially SMBv1 server), leaving the router as the only client that really could perform as MB. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that MS went event further, and now will completely remove (not only disable) SMBv1 support if you don't have it active for a certain number of days (30?).
- When you upgraded the router firmware, you had MB set, but not sharing, which meant MB was not really active, and you lost the only available SMBv1 server.

Yep.

@agilani makes a good point about inquiring about their plans for network discovery without SMBv1.

I have already sent ManageEngine a terse email about their "plans". Not even sure that SMBv2 or SMBv3 can even work within the traditional WORKGROUP setting that Windows uses. Seems Microsoft is now moving everything over to the Function Discovery Provider Host - which uses a different protocol to give back the good ole "Network Neighbourhood" display of years past where workgroup users can easily see the computers available.

I suspect ManageEngine will either suggest I move to a domain layout or offer some oddball workaround. But it's clear this application will need some major changes to remain usable for workgroups in the coming months and years.

I want to thank everyone for their help on this - it was truly making me crazy :)

Cheers!

Sonic.

Next time this happens - Wireshark is your very best friend - one gets good visibility into SMB and WINS...

Next time this happens - Wireshark is your very best friend - one gets good visibility into SMB and WINS...

How would I use Wireshark to triage this? I have the app but have never really gotten into it. Appreciate any tips.

Sonic.

Seems Microsoft is now moving everything over to the Function Discovery Provider Host - which uses a different protocol to give back the good ole "Network Neighbourhood" display of years past where workgroup users can easily see the computers available.
I had seen references to this, but haven't had time to really look into it. Sounds like something I'll need to understand more.

I had seen references to this, but haven't had time to really look into it. Sounds like something I'll need to understand more.

The usual drill is to simply enable the Function Discovery Provider Host service and the Function Discovery Resource Publication service and set them to Automatic (delayed start). This will instantly repopulate the view of the network you get when you double click on the Network icon in Windows 10.

With SMBv1 disabled and most likely the Computer Browser service on it's last legs (will probably be removed altogether in Windows 10 1809) these two services are a decent replacement.

Sonic.

There are two "Function Discovery..." services listed when I run the Services app in Windows 10. For stable discovery set both of them to Startup Type = Automatic. See also this analysis.

All,

Check this out - direct from ManageEngine support:

Hello,

Greetings for the day.

Glad to know that you were able to sort this out, my team have now identified the issue and are working in ending support for SMBv1 and adding support SMBv2. It is not expected to take more than 2 weeks for the fix to be released. I will get back to you once I have an update from my team. Looking forward to assisting you.

Regards,
--------------
Jeffrry
Associate Technical Consultant
Desktop and Mobile Device Management Solution

Seems they finally got the memo on SMBv1

Now it remains to be seen if they can follow through on this.

Cheers,

Sonic.

Thanks for the update (not that I use ManageEngine). It would be interesting if you could update us when the fix comes out on how well it works.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!