What's new

GT-AC2900 Merlin-compatible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OntoJeff

New Around Here
Hi,

After much "research" (googling), I'm considering the GT-AC2900 for home use. I'm basically looking for the AC86U but that model isn't wall-mountable, and the GT version is. I've been using an RT-N66 for years and it's time to upgrade, basically to improve range (& throughput) in a crowded wifi environment. I'll use the N66 in repeater mode if needed (but if the GT-AC2900 is good enough I'll be happy to just retire the N66).

I have Merlin firmware (thank you!!) on the N66, and like the add'l features vs standard, in particular the traffic analyzer (ability to break down by device, see real-time vs daily, etc). I see that the Gt-AC2900 isn't on the compatibility list, but the RT-AC2900 (aka 86U) is compatible, and as far as I know they are similar (identical?) inside.

So: Would the Merlin firmware work on the GT-AC2900? If not, have the traffic analyzer improvements been folded into the official Asus firmware? Also, any info anyone has on whether the RT-86U and the GT-AC2900 are in fact identical (except for mounting options & annoying lighting) would be great.

Hi,

After much "research" (googling), I'm considering the GT-AC2900 for home use. I'm basically looking for the AC86U but that model isn't wall-mountable, and the GT version is. I've been using an RT-N66 for years and it's time to upgrade, basically to improve range (& throughput) in a crowded wifi environment. I'll use the N66 in repeater mode if needed (but if the GT-AC2900 is good enough I'll be happy to just retire the N66).

I have Merlin firmware (thank you!!) on the N66, and like the add'l features vs standard, in particular the traffic analyzer (ability to break down by device, see real-time vs daily, etc). I see that the Gt-AC2900 isn't on the compatibility list, but the RT-AC2900 (aka 86U) is compatible, and as far as I know they are similar (identical?) inside.

So: Would the Merlin firmware work on the GT-AC2900? If not, have the traffic analyzer improvements been folded into the official Asus firmware? Also, any info anyone has on whether the RT-86U and the GT-AC2900 are in fact identical (except for mounting options & annoying lighting) would be great.
GT not Merlin compatible as I understand it.