What's new

GT-AX600 Slower speeds over ethernet(and wifi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a_shot_on_ehlo

New Around Here
Hi, I recently upgraded to a GT-AX600 from our old trusty AC86U. I let it run for a couple of weeks in the hopes it would sort itself out, I used stock firmware, then tried merlin firmware. I'm on a 1000/50 plan and noticing it performs considerably worse than our old router, my main PC is connected directly via Cat 6 cable. I have a handful of WiFi devices.

In Australia we have a "NTD" box that is inside, and you connect your router to it. If I use the standard setup I see my download speed cap out at on average 730mbps, however if I plug my PC directly into the NTD I see speeds averaging around 870mbps. I have also used different(brand new)cat 6/cat5e cables between the router and NTD and router and PC this doesn't make a difference. That would rule out an issue with the PC, an issue that our Internet Provider could fix(as the speed from the NTD directly is within spec) and any cable issues.

So essentially the router reduces our download speeds by around 20%, not ideal. Is there any settings within the router that could be causing this or is it most likely a lemon?

Go to Administration, Policy (or Privacy on older firmware), withdraw TrendMicro data sharing agreement. This will stop TrendMicro services. Reboot and test the speed again with your wired PC. The router's hardware is similar to Raspberry Pi. Some of the firmware options will impact the performance.

Go to Administration, Policy (or Privacy on older firmware), withdraw TrendMicro data sharing agreement. This will stop TrendMicro services. Reboot and test the speed again with your wired PC. The router's hardware is similar to Raspberry Pi. Some of the firmware options will impact the performance.
You were spot on, thank you very much. That moved it from averaging 730mbps up to 850mbps, slightly slower than a direct connection to the NTD but I'm guessing that's to be expected. Certainly a speed I'm fine with. Is that TrendMicro data sharing on by default? As I haven't enabled anything like game modes/guest networks/parental controls/adaptive qos/open nat etc.

Hi, I recently upgraded to a GT-AX600 from our old trusty AC86U

Maybe if you posted to the right sub-forums you'd get a better answer - Asus has a dedicated group over there...

@thiggins @RMerlin - can you please do some moderation here - otherwise things are going to be Asus Only - and you'll start to lose subscribers...

I certainly hope that Asus is contributing somewhat to keeping the lights on here...

can you please do some moderation here
Breathe... I'm already moving multiple threads per day, so it's not as if I ain't doing any moderation here.

I didn't notice any difference in download speed with AIProtection turned on or off. The speed test always results in approximately 930mbit/s, with the 1000/300 plan
1703276035270.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!