What's new

USB attached SSD (nvme) is slower than HDD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igs

Regular Contributor
I'm wondering, why on my Asus TUF ax5400, the write/read of the SSD drive is two times slower than with my previous HHD drive? With the HDD I had approximately 46MB, but with the SSD is around 23MB. The SSD support up to 7,000MB/s1 read/write. The SSD is nvme m2 inside Ugreen enclosure. Same problem was with the ordinary USB Flash stick.

Too many factors at play here. The overhead, power requirements (of both the enclosure and the SSD), and the file sizes transferred (and to from/which device) all affect this.

And, after all, the USB ports on a consumer router are not multipurpose, as they are on an actual PC.

They are there mostly for a check box item when doing comparison shopping.

For amtm/script usage (for example), those capabilities are more than good enough. When wanting them for NAS-type usage, you need to look further than to router, USB-attached, storage. Not only are the resources limited (CPU, RAM, hardware), but so are the kernel/SDK and other bits used to support the firmware able to be used on them.

Your choice today is to find a router/USB enclosure combination that works as well or better than what your simple HDD was capable of. Or, simply to not expect more from the hardware you have now.

Thank you for the answer! I will keep experimenting. I ordered 3A USB 2 cable and onced received, i will try to use Asus USB port in USB 2 Mode.
Also, Asus removed the option to turn off the USB hibernation, which was very handy for HDD (it doesn't work constantly, so no noise). But not for the SSD. In fact, it takes up to 10 seconds to wake up the SSD, where HDD could fire up in 3 seconds.

You won't get any better speeds in USB 2.0 mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!