What's new

Guest Access extending

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mylesm

New Around Here
HI

I have a netgear wndr3700V4 as my main router works good but range is not great

It is located in my office downstairs in a 2 storey home I have hardwired to the lan ports a Linksys NSLU,A VOIP phone,A Sonos Zone bridge,a WD Media player these are all located beside the router so moving all these is not an option

I frequently have guests staying and for them I have the guest network available on the Netgear which restricts them to Internet only no access to my internal lan works but very poor connection in upstairs bedrooms

I hope someone can advise if i put an ap upstairs how can i restrict that wireless ap to internet only as it will be hardwired to lan port on my netgear router

Thanks

Mylesm

Posting in multiple threads just confuses people. But you can put just about any additional router you want upstairs and set it to use a different subnet (ie 192.168.2.1) and you could even leave it's routing functions on since I don't think the typical issues of a router behind a router would be of any concern since they're just using it for regular simple net access. Just use a different SSID than your main router.

Also you can reposition your main router, with moving or leaving in place as much of the hardwired clients you'd like by using a 5-8 port dumb gigabit switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!