What's new

Guide Wireguard-portforwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sweden

Occasional Visitor
Could someone share a guide how to port forward / getting connectable using WireGuard? I opened port on VPN provider with OpenVPN and it worked (using iptables) but with WireGuard i never got it working (despite opening a dedicated WireGuard port). Anyone have a guide? Been searching internet without any luck. If i install vpn providers WireGuard client it works, but i want to run it on Asus merlin firmware. Thanks in advance

It doesn't work AFAIK, and I've tried everything. If you are running your entire network through the WireGuard tunnel, you can still install VPN providers client and open a port on a device where it is needed and it will work... And yes, this will mean that traffic will go through two WireGuard tunnels, one set up on your router and second one, connected via VPN provider client on a selected device. I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever and no slowdowns with that configuration so far. The best way would be of course to open a port directly on the router side, without the need of installing the VPN providers client, but I don't think this is currently possible...

It doesn't work AFAIK, and I've tried everything. If you are running your entire network through the WireGuard tunnel, you can still install VPN providers client and open a port on a device where it is needed and it will work... And yes, this will mean that traffic will go through two WireGuard tunnels, one set up on your router and second one, connected via VPN provider client on a selected device. I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever and no slowdowns with that configuration so far. The best way would be of course to open a port directly on the router side, without the need of installing the VPN providers client, but I don't think this is currently possible...

OK. Thank you for getting back on this topic. I lost my hair yesterday. With regular VPN on ASUS AX88U i can achive speeds of 100/50 Mbps when doing speedtests while i can easily do 250/250 Mbps when using the built-in wireguard client in router. I hope someone finds out a fix for this, until then i need to run a client.

Could someone share a guide how to port forward / getting connectable using WireGuard? I opened port on VPN provider with OpenVPN and it worked (using iptables) but with WireGuard i never got it working (despite opening a dedicated WireGuard port). Anyone have a guide? Been searching internet without any luck. If i install vpn providers WireGuard client it works, but i want to run it on Asus merlin firmware. Thanks in advance
Port forwarding from Wireguard is not supported by firmware. You will need to add the rules manually, via ssh.

However, this is not going to be easy unless your target computer/server is not using said vpn connection for internet. So, set this up in VpnDirector first.

A firewall rule to perform port redirect, port 8080 from wgc1 to 192.168.1.100 would be:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.100:8080
Note that this rule is only valid for tcp, another rule is needed for udp.

Another rule is needed to let our forwarded port create new inbound connections through the firewall:
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.100 --dport 8080 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Naturally these rules won't persist through reboots unless added to firewall-start script.

Port forwarding from Wireguard is not supported by firmware. You will need to add the rules manually, via ssh.

However, this is not going to be easy unless your target computer/server is not using said vpn connection for internet. So, set this up in VpnDirector first.

A firewall rule to perform port redirect, port 8080 from wgc1 to 192.168.1.100 would be:
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.100:8080

Another rule is needed to let our forwarded port create new inbound connections through the firewall:
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.100 --dport 8080 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Naturally these rules won't persist through reboots unless added to firewall-start script.

I will test this and see if its working, i think i only did the prerouting and not forward rule. If thats the case your the best!
Running the pc version of wireguard client gives around 240Mbps (on a 250Mbps connection). Lets see if RT-AX88 can give the same speeds, the CPU seemed pretty busy, but i think 500 Mbps on router should be possible (my guess). Maybe time to upgrade connection while i am playing around... thx again

Attachments

• wireguard.jpg
    wireguard.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I will test this and see if its working, i think i only did the prerouting and not forward rule. If thats the case your the best!
Running the pc version of wireguard client gives around 240Mbps (on a 250Mbps connection). Lets see if RT-AX88 can give the same speeds, the CPU seemed pretty busy, but i think 500 Mbps on router should be possible (my guess). Maybe time to upgrade connection while i am playing around... thx again
Technically the nat PREROUTING rule should go into nat-start and the FORWARD filter rule should go into firewall-start.

Some day when I have the time and energy I'll write something that would automate custom wireguard firewall rules... I'll have a post here somewhere I'll need to find. I'll post it here when I find it.

Edit: here it is: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...t-rules-after-router-reboot.87768/post-878099 But it's "not official" as pointed out, but it works... for now... altough example is only for nat rules.
It would be nice to do the same as fw does it but with custom files instead, possibly in /tmp/ ram so it would fw future proof...
Perhaps more convenient for you to just use firewall-start and nat-start to put your rules in and delete any duplicate rules before to prevent duplicates.
Like:
firewall-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -D FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.100 --dport 8080 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT 2>/dev/null

nat-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.100:8080 2>/dev/null
duplicate the rules and change to -p udp instead of -p tcp if you need udp packets to be forwarded as well.

Last edited:

Code:

Code:

This is not working.... I tried:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 57377 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.2:57377
iptables -I FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.0.2 --dport 57377 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p udp --dport 57377 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.2:57377
iptables -I FORWARD -i wgc1 -p udp -d 192.168.0.2 --dport 57377 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Code:

Code:

I tried the following below also in SSH. Port is still closed when i am trying to get connectable.

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 57377 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.2:57377
iptables -I FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.0.2 --dport 57377 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

Technically the nat PREROUTING rule should go into nat-start and the FORWARD filter rule should go into firewall-start.

Some day when I have the time and energy I'll write something that would automate custom wireguard firewall rules... I'll have a post here somewhere I'll need to find. I'll post it here when I find it.

Edit: here it is: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...t-rules-after-router-reboot.87768/post-878099 But it's "not official" as pointed out, but it works... for now... altough example is only for nat rules.
It would be nice to do the same as fw does it but with custom files instead, possibly in /tmp/ ram so it would fw future proof...
Perhaps more convenient for you to just use firewall-start and nat-start to put your rules in and delete any duplicate rules before to prevent duplicates.
Like:
firewall-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -D FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.1.100 --dport 8080 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT 2>/dev/null

nat-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.100:8080 2>/dev/null
duplicate the rules and change to -p udp instead of -p tcp if you need udp packets to be forwarded as well.
Also tried:

iptables -D FORWARD -i wgc1 -p tcp -d 192.168.0.2 --dport 57377 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT 2>/dev/null
iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p tcp --dport 57377 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.2:57377 2>/dev/null

iptables -D FORWARD -i wgc1 -p udp -d 192.168.0.2 --dport 57377 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT 2>/dev/null
iptables -I FORWARD -i wgc1 -p udp -d 192.168.0.2 --dport 57377 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p udp --dport 57377 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.2:57377 2>/dev/null
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i wgc1 -p udp --dport 57377 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.2:57377

No luck whatever to get connectable. I have open port at VPN provider / restarted connection and wireguard is running.
Still not connectable via torrent for example (works fine with OVPN wireguard client, but not on asus router :(

Attachments

• port_opened.png
    port_opened.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 9
  • router.jpg
    router.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 9
Did you setup 192.168.0.2 to use wgc1 in VpnDirector?
I did a 192.168.0.1/24 (all lan traffic in vpn director), as i want all traffic to go through vpn/router. That dident help, i could see traffic was flowing through vpn, but never got connectable. When i switched to client, to use same port it worked direcly almost.

I did a 192.168.0.1/24 (all lan traffic in vpn director), as i want all traffic to go through vpn/router. That dident help, i could see traffic was flowing through vpn, but never got connectable. When i switched to client, to use same port it worked direcly almost.
What if you try this, after you started your wgc1 client with your vpndirector route, try to execute this at the ssh prompt:
Code:
ip route del $(ip route show table wgc1 | grep $(wg show wgc1 endpoints | sed -n 's/.*\t\(.*\):.*/\1/p')) table wgc1
(This will temporary remove route to wgc1 endpoint in policy table which is typically not needed, a reboot or restart of wgc1 will restore it)

Then try to add iptables rules for port forward.

Note that 192.168.0.2 should not be using any local vpn client when testing this.