What's new

having a problem with my RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pokee

New Around Here
HELLO
well my asus was good with me till this version update 3.0.0.4.380_4118
the problem is whenever i start download a huge file with the maximum D/L speed ....the router hang in the middle of download and most of time at the end...and remain like that till i restart the router again

its not coming by normal use or watching something....its only coming when i download a huge file
and huge file means = max D/L speed with over 5 min

resulting hanging with everything in place....and you cant get it back unitl you restart again

factory rest....not helping
my internet speed is 50Mb and im using 2.4GHZ

Interesting. After reading your post I decided to run three test scenarios on our RT-AC68U –

1. Copied a 32MB file (via WiFi) to a USB3.0 drive plugged into our router. Router status page shows CPU Core 2 maxed out and virtually nothing on CPU Core 1. Re-ran the file transfers a few times to make sure results were repeatable. Sometimes both cores would max out. Wait long enough and the transfer would finish. Never had to reboot router.

2. Did the same test transferring file (via WiFi) from one laptop to another laptop hooked up via Ethernet (no USB3.0 device) and everything worked perfectly. No hang, low CPU core usage.

3. Transferred file from laptop via Ethernet to USB3.0 and both CPU cores in router maxed out.

Not trying to hijack your thread. Just wanted to share what is happening on our RT-AC68U with Windows 7 and 10 laptops. We're running 3.0.0.4.380.4164. Wonder if it's something related to using the USB3.0 port?

Yes, the USB device is 3.0. Laptop is running on 5GHz network so don't think the USB noise issue I've read about is even in the equation. Have done a full Factory Reset and it didn't seem to change anything.

Hopefully one of the more senior people on this forum has seen this and has an answer.

Last edited:
Hey pokee – are you still having the same problem?

We are so decided to do the following troubleshooting steps –

1. Flashed our backup RT-AC68U from 3.0.0.4.380.4118 to 3.0.0.4.380.4164
2. Did a Factory Reset after firmware update.
3. Manually entered the minimum specific network information needed.
4. Mounted USB3.0 device in router with proper permissions for sharing.
5. Did a “Forget Network” on Windows machines (including editing profiles out of registry on Windows 10) to make sure no configuration remnants were left for the WiFi network settings.

Re-ran the three test scenarios described above, no change, same results.

1. Tried a different USB3.0 device. No change.
2. Removed USB3.0 device.
3. Tried a USB2.0 device in USB2.0 port. No change.

Based on all this, I’d say the slowdown described above is not related to a specific router (since it does the same thing on two different routers) or USB device. Don’t remember if this was an issue with 3.0.0.4.380.3831. We might try flashing back to that version if we can (not sure about CFE issues). Kind of leaning toward a firmware issue.

Was hoping others would weigh in on their experiences and maybe even have a fix. I do know that many in this forum recommend NAS instead of using USB ports…maybe we know why now.

Just call me confused. Help!!

NOTHING HELPFUL ABOVE...
when i start downloading...i start monitoring the ram and CPU from the asus panel ....nothing special
10-20% on both cores...
Ram 44Mb out of 250Mb
NVRAM Usage 46141 / 65536 bytes

but the Temperate
TEMP IS : 2.4 GHz: 57°C - 5 GHz: 60°C - CPU: 85°C
Is this Normal ???

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!