What's new

Help a noob out: RT-AX86U MerlinWRT VPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coolest35

New Around Here
Hey All,

As title implies, new to aftermarket firmware on my router. What I am wanting to accomplish is similar to Asus native feature found on the "TUF Gaming AX5400" model: VPN Fusion.

I am wondering if the MerlinWRT will allow me to accomplish the same? I.e. establish a VPN Connection and assign a specific mac/dns to use VPN meanwhile routing the non-assigned macs to non-vpn.

I could always go buy the "TUF Gaming AX5400", but I can't imagine this is a hardware based feature and therefore would be theoretically accomplished with aftermarket firmware. Also don't think the newer model is worth to spend $$ on if the RT-68U is "better" for everything else.

Thanks!

Merlin has VPN Director (in some builds at least - not sure about the RT-AC68U/RT-AX68U), which tied to a rule in each VPN config does the same job, just better.

You have nothing to lose by trying the Merlin firmware, you can always switch back if you need to. And if you like it maybe buy Merlin a coffee!

Last edited:
Merlin has VPN Director (in some builds at least - not sure about the RT-AC68U/RT-AX68U), which tied to a rule in each VPN config does the same job, just better.

You have nothing to lose by trying the Merlin firmware, you can always switch back if you need to. And if you like it maybe buy Merlin a coffee!

Hey!

Finally got around to flashing Merlin on my AX 86U. Unfortunately, I'm lost in terms of how to configure the parameters that I am looking for:
1. OpenVPN VPN profile
2. When specific device with specified MAC connects -> routes through VPN only

Any instructions or tutorials?

TIA

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!