What's new

RT AX86U - Help me improving my latency please! Bufferbloat?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just for clarity BT have issues if you are a gamer and want the best latency.

its 102 pages and it took BT ages to confirm there was an issue. They did say a roll out was going to solve the issue but with Covid it’s gone very quiet.

Forgot to mention that not all users see the issue on BT lines but it also affects their partners too.
with issues like this it can make life hard testing if your router is doing a great job.

Did you read my entire post? :rolleyes:
Yes, you said Bell is offering fibre. If I was you, I'd ditch the cable modem and go for that.

Adaptive qos with manual bandwidth settings on the AX86, Flowcache enabled/disabled.. Just playing around with it again to see if itll ever be as good as the AC86

Attachments

• dsl2.png
    dsl2.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 303
Adaptive qos with manual bandwidth settings on the AX86, Flowcache enabled/disabled.. Just playing around with it again to see if itll ever be as good as the AC86
Your comparison is invalid because one is using one server and the other is using two servers. Configure DSLReports to use a fixed server and a fixed number of streams.

Your comparison is invalid because one is using one server and the other is using two servers. Configure DSLReports to use a fixed server and a fixed number of streams.
I can run the test 100 times, or use different test sites and have the same end results.

I can run the test 100 times, or use different test sites and have the same end results.
Hey. I think I found the issue. Something is bugged in the Merlin firmwares.

Try the 386.2_4 FW and let me know if you have bad buffer scores. This fixed the issue for me. Not sure what’s causing it

Hey. I think I found the issue. Something is bugged in the Merlin firmwares.

Try the 386.2_4 FW and let me know if you have bad buffer scores. This fixed the issue for me. Not sure what’s causing it
The issue happens on stock firmware also, so Id probably need to backup on stock to test also @RMerlin just uses the gpls they send him, which he has know control of the issue at hand since most (all) that part is closed source.

The issue happens on stock firmware also, so Id probably need to backup on stock to test also @RMerlin just uses the gpls they send him, which he has know control of the issue at hand since most (all) that part is closed source.
But the firmware I’m asking u to test is not stock. It’s merlins.

But the firmware I’m asking u to test is not stock. It’s merlins.
I get that, i run merlin. I also just yesterday installed the latest stock firmware on the AX and still had the same issue. But to downgrade I have to go through a tft[ recovery process which I dont have time for atm. I purchased my AX before 386 came out, and have tested pretty much every version waiting for a fix.

I get that, i run merlin. I also just yesterday installed the latest stock firmware on the AX and still had the same issue. But to downgrade I have to go through a tft[ recovery process which I dont have time for atm. I purchased my AX before 386 came out, and have tested pretty much every version waiting for a fix.
For your game, do u use the gaming port?

did you fix it ?
disabling flowcache lets qos work correctly, and bufferbloat is fine now. This only needs done on my AX86, the ac86 works fine period

Disabling flow cache ?? Really?
on the ax yes. The ax does something different. Disabling FC only allows the iptables you can add in flexqos work also. Believe me i spent WAY to much time screwing around with a router to find that out.

Connection: WISP (P2P)
Speed: 20/20 Mb/s
Test settings: Thinkpad L480 (wireless, 5 GHz)
Router: AX88U, Merlin 386.3_2

QoS: OFF

Speed result of 19.46/19.64 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information

View attachment 36646
QoS: ON

View attachment 36647

Speed result of 17.94/16.41 Mbps | DSLReports, ISP Information

View attachment 36648

View attachment 36650
yeah because you enabled Cake which disables flow control. i can reproduce this same behaviour there is something funky with the ax86

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!