What's new

Help me choose - ASUS AC68U vs. less expensive AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdalton

Occasional Visitor
3000 sq. ft. home. 12-18 WiFi devices, including cellphones, printers, SONOS system, and others. Our current Verizon Quantum FIOS router does not reach even all through the house (much less to the garage or backyard), so I want to move all the WiFi from the Verizon router to another router with better WiFi coverage.

After reading a lot on this forum, I had decided that I should get an ASUS RT-AC68U (my second choice was the RT-88U or the AC3100 [which I understand is the same as the AC88U, but with only 4 lan ports], but they both are too expensive right now).

The best price I've found for the RT-AC68U over the past month or so has been about $170, and I've just been waiting for someone to have a "super sale" with a lower price on it.

I just found out that Fry's is selling the RT-AC87U today and tomorrow for $150.

I haven't spent any time looking into the RT-AC87U, as I recall having read that -- if I wanted to spend more money than for an RT-AC68U -- I should skip over AC2400 and jump to the RT-AC88U (or the RT-AC3100).

HOWEVER, if I can get the AC87U for $20 LESS than the AC68U, would it make sense to buy the RT-AC87U now, or should I just stick with my original plan?

Thanks

HOWEVER, if I can get the AC87U for $20 LESS than the AC68U, would it make sense to buy the RT-AC87U now, or should I just stick with my original plan?

if you going to use the as wireless access points only then i would go with the 68u still as the 87u has less coverage in my testing but not by a massive amount

much less to the garage or backyard

now the issue here may be the construction materials and it may not help that much outside due to those material blocking the signal so cant guarantee any wifi no matter how good it is will get through the external walls well and you might want to consider an external wireless access point if you spend a lot of time outdoors using your wifi

3875 sq. ft. cement/bricks house here 3 floors with tiles and marble my AC87U gives me excellent performance on the 2,4 band and covers every little corner.Cant tell you about the 88U but most people here looks like they prefer it.

3000 sq. ft. home. 12-18 WiFi devices, including cellphones, printers, SONOS system, and others. Our current Verizon Quantum FIOS router does not reach even all through the house (much less to the garage or backyard), so I want to move all the WiFi from the Verizon router to another router with better WiFi coverage.

After reading a lot on this forum, I had decided that I should get an ASUS RT-AC68U (my second choice was the RT-88U or the AC3100 [which I understand is the same as the AC88U, but with only 4 lan ports], but they both are too expensive right now).

The best price I've found for the RT-AC68U over the past month or so has been about $170, and I've just been waiting for someone to have a "super sale" with a lower price on it.

I just found out that Fry's is selling the RT-AC87U today and tomorrow for $150.

I haven't spent any time looking into the RT-AC87U, as I recall having read that -- if I wanted to spend more money than for an RT-AC68U -- I should skip over AC2400 and jump to the RT-AC88U (or the RT-AC3100).

Thanks

When the RT-AC87U works, it works well. But for some, that isn't the case (many posts here with problems with this model).

If you have the time to spend in possibly troubleshooting the RT-AC87U, save the $20 and give it a try (but you may end up simply returning it if you can't get it to work, like some others).

If you just want something that works, the RT-AC68U is the safe bet.

If you want something that will work today and still be relevant a few years from now? Shoot for the RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 instead. But only if your networking needs (wired and wireless) will be constantly increasing in the next few years.

I have an 87u with hggomes latest firmware. For me it is better than 68u (which i also have).

The 87U is a complicated beast - and either it works well, or it doesn't... doesn't seem to have a middle ground.

Check your local Wal-Marts for the RT-AC68R. The price on the shelf may not be accurate but if they have any left, it should ring up at $74.

Check your local Wal-Marts for the RT-AC68R. The price on the shelf may not be accurate but if they have any left, it should ring up at $74.

Not to cut in on someone's post but is the one at Walmart "RT-AC68R" the RT-68U ?

Not to cut in on someone's post but is the one at Walmart "RT-AC68R" the RT-68U ?

Yes, effectively the same as the RT-AC68U.

I just looked at the RT-AC68P here and it has a BCM 4709 CPU, The RT-AC68U has a BCM 4708A CPU
What CPU is in the RT-AC68R?
The CPU can make a big difference in the Router, so which CPU is the fastest and which one was actually used in testing the RT-AC68U that everyone bought or still buying?

Things seem to be smelling funny!

If I recall, the RT-AC68R has the original 800Mhz CPU. Not a big deal to me -- for $74 it was well worth it.

If you want to use 5Ghz a lot I wouldn't recommend the 87U. Many users have reported that it's 5Ghz radio as having poor range and reliability. Supposedly it's 2.4Ghz range and reliability is very good but I can't speak from direct experience since I have never owned an 87U.

I could have gone with the Asus 3200 or 87U but I went with the RT-AC68P which is basically the RT-AC68U/R with the processor upgraded from 800Mhz to 1000Mhz (1Ghz). However, many of the RT-AC68U/R models with the B1 version are reported to have upgraded 1Ghz processors. If you don't go with the 3100, 88u or 5300u then right now I believe the best value to be the RT-AC68U. Check the white serial and model number sticker on the side of the box for the B1 version.

My next preferred value buy for a little more money would probably be the newly released or soon to be released RT-AC1900P (not ac1900 and not ac68p but ac1900p) which seems to be similar to the 68U/R and 68p but with a 1.4Ghz processor and this new model has been spotted at Best Buy stores this past week.

Last edited:
If you want to use 5Ghz a lot I wouldn't recommend the 87U. Many users have reported that it's 5Ghz radio as having poor range and reliability. Supposedly it's 2.4Ghz range and reliability is very good but I can't speak from direct experience since I have never owned an 87U.

I could have gone with the Asus 3200 or 87U but I went with the RT-AC68P which is basically the RT-AC68U/R with the processor upgraded from 800Mhz to 1000Mhz (1Ghz). However, many of the RT-AC68U/R models with the B1 version are reported to have upgraded 1Ghz processors. If you don't go with the 3100, 88u or 5300u then right now I believe the best value to be the RT-AC68U. Check the white serial and model number sticker on the side of the box for the B1 version.

My next preferred value buy for a little more money would probably be the newly released or soon to be released RT-AC1900P (not ac1900 and not ac68p but ac1900p) which seems to be similar to the 68U/R and 68p but with a 1.4Ghz processor and this new model has been spotted at Best Buy stores this past week.
Hi SoCalreviews,
WOW, I'm starting to feel like I'm chasing Rainbows LOL. I had decided today on getting the RT-AC68P (Like you got) when here comes another one, the "RT-AC1900P". ASUS should just come out with one called the Alpha-bet 68A-Z and be done with it.
I was in Walmart today and they had 1 ASUS box labeled RT 1900. I didn't have my glasses so I couldn't make out the fine print hardly at all, but I did see "C1 and V1 and 1GHZ" , and $179.99 (that was very clear) if that means anything to anyone. I might drop by tomorrow and take another look, with my glasses.
1GHZ would put it in the AC68P camp, but it didn't see that designation.

Looks like I'll be stopping by the local Best Buys also, where do you keep the "ASUS RT-AC1900P" routers, I think I'm hooked!

If I recall, the RT-AC68R has the original 800Mhz CPU. Not a big deal to me -- for $74 it was well worth it.

They told me at Walmart today that they were sold out of the AC68R routers and wouldn't be getting any more. Thanks a lot for the information though, deals like that don't last long.

Hi SoCalreviews,
WOW, I'm starting to feel like I'm chasing Rainbows LOL. I had decided today on getting the RT-AC68P (Like you got) when here comes another one, the "RT-AC1900P". ASUS should just come out with one called the Alpha-bet 68A-Z and be done with it.
I was in Walmart today and they had 1 ASUS box labeled RT 1900. I didn't have my glasses so I couldn't make out the fine print hardly at all, but I did see "C1 and V1 and 1GHZ" , and $179.99 (that was very clear) if that means anything to anyone. I might drop by tomorrow and take another look, with my glasses.
1GHZ would put it in the AC68P camp, but it didn't see that designation.

Looks like I'll be stopping by the local Best Buys also, where do you keep the "ASUS RT-AC1900P" routers, I think I'm hooked!
Many of us have been salivating over the RT-AC1900P . It seems like a great choice. It's got the faster processor in the tried and tested 68 design without the extreme pricing of the 88 and 5300 models. I believe it's price is reported to be $199 USD. The 68P (which has ac1900 on the box) is currently priced as a closeout at $179 USD so be careful that you buy the right one if you do. I believe the C1 version is the 68U. The V1 or V versions have been reported being the RT-AC1900P but it's supposed to be 1.4Ghz instead of 1Ghz.

I'm sure you saw this already but there are the pictures of the AC1900P at BB from another thread.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac-1900p-at-best-buy.33156/

Last edited:
Many of us have been salivating over the RT-AC1900P . It seems like a great choice. It's got the faster processor in the tried and tested 68 design without the extreme pricing of the 88 and 5300 models. I believe it's price is reported to be $199 USD. The 68P (which has ac1900 on the box) is currently priced as a closeout at $179 USD so be careful that you buy the right one if you do. I believe the C1 version is the 68U. The V1 or V versions have been reported being the RT-AC1900P but it's supposed to be 1.4Ghz instead of 1Ghz.

I'm sure you saw this already but there are the pictures of the AC1900P at BB from another thread.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac-1900p-at-best-buy.33156/

At that price, it seems like a great upgrade from the venerable RT-AC68U.

Too bad the spec's still call for only 256MB ram though. :(

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC1900P/specifications/

RAM (and harddisk space) is like garage and loft storage space: you never have enough and seems to run out of space, no matter how much you have.

One thing can be concluded: the RT-AC68 in all its variants is a winner, Asus seems to get the best out of it (I suppose they simply use the best/cheapest hardware/CPU available at the production time, resulting in new model variants over time). It turns out to be a good and stable basic 802.11ac platform that supports the most common AC clients.
The more advanced AC platform features of e.g. the RT-AC88 are hardly supported by standard client devices (read: laptops, tablets, smart phones), unless you purchase a dedicated matching network interface.
Be warned: I figured recently that e.g. HP has locked the bios of their older laptops that prevent upgrading the network interfaces by just any newer model, leaving my home situation with 802.11n and 802.11a laptops. Carefully check new laptop specs for support of 802.11ac, and carefully check what of 802.11ac is supported (usually 2x2, 867 Mbps max).

Last edited:
ac68u, ac87u has flaws in the design.

RAM is needed when it comes to connections but in terms of throughput that just relates to CPU and the ports. For 300k connections it doesnt really need much ram as this isnt BGP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!