What's new

[Help] Need to extend the range of my Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

katabatik

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I own an Asus RT-N66U router on Merlin firmware v3.0.0.4.374.39 + an Asus EA-N66 AP/Wi-Fi Bridge/ Range Extender. The later fell to the ground (suffered visible damage) and since then it has been working oddly. After a few tests, I believe that something got broken inside, so I need to replace it.

My needs:
I'm running an ADSL connection @12 Mbps/1 Mbps. I live in fairly big apartment with lots of walls, hence the signal drops quite fast. I would like to extend the range of my asus router so that I can use VoIP and watch videos from every corner of the house with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Since this phone supports 2.4 and 5 GHz, a device that would extend both frequencies at the same time, unlike my Asus EA-N66, would be nice. I'm not planning to create a cabled network since I'll probably be moving to another apartment in a year or so. My budget is up to 200 Euros. I also want something that isn't too complicated to set up. I'm not a total n00b when it comes to configuring hardware, but I'm no expert either.

Please advise me. Thank you.

With a connection that slow, I'd go with a couple of powerline networking adapters and plug a modest speed N600 router in to one setup as an access point and place it at the opposite end of the apartment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!