What's new

Help with QOS — what firmware for NG R7800 are the best for games on ps4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At least for this device, OpenWRT/LEDE is actually more robust for the R7800 than DD-WRT, considering LEDE has Cake QoS which performs extremely well which isn’t even available on DD-WRT. I believe they also use an older kernel than LEDE. It doesn’t mean I can generalize and say LEDE is necessarily better than the DD-WRT as these guys put a lot of work into these devices, better to say they have different approaches and performance depends on device in consideration. In regards to Broadcom devices for example DD-WRT actually does better as they have an agreement I believe with Broadcom for drivers while LEDE doesn’t even support WiFi on the 4366 based units.

Having said that, stock derived firmwares in many cases usually perform better due to hardware NAT acceleration and also WiFi due to proprietary drivers. Things like improved CPU optimizations, newer packages, some extra features etc seen in open source can sometimes also added into stock derived firmwares by devs like RMerlin and Voxel. In addition newer models seem less and less open source friendly so this approach seems like the best of both worlds.

Thank you for the clarification.
Now I'm thinking about the installation of LEDE, but a little scared because it allegedly after it is difficult to restore the native firmware.

By the way, I also wanted to ask - if the firmware does not depend too much on games, which router is still better than ASUS RT-N88U or Netgear R7800? I understand that the question is very straightforward, but still)

I have the LEDE firmware on my R7800. The QoS on it is amazing. Whilst monitoring the ping to multiple servers using PingPlotter, the ping does not increase when maxing out the download or upload. This means gaming is almost unaffected by live streaming or from anyone else using the internet.

I have the LEDE firmware on my R7800. The QoS on it is amazing. Whilst monitoring the ping to multiple servers using PingPlotter, the ping does not increase when maxing out the download or upload. This means gaming is almost unaffected by live streaming or from anyone else using the internet.
Hello, sekta. Thank you for your answer. Since you wrote a little about your experience using the LEDE firmware - I had a few questions about your use.
1) When you checked the ping on PingPlotter, you say that the ping did not change. Did he stay on the same level, even when the HD movies were turned on? And if you include 5-10 HD movies at the same time?
2) Is it difficult to install LEDE? If you can, write more about it:) I also want to install it on my R7800 for a long time.
3) Is it difficult then to switch back from LEDE to firmware? If you can, write as well.
Thank you for your answers, I think that this information will be interesting not only for me, but also to hundreds of other people.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!