What's new

Home network WPA, Nintendo DS WEP = possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PowerCreep

New Around Here
Hey all,
In short, I'd like to keep my home network on WPA, but my son's DS can only use WEP. Will a dual band router solve this problem? I searched and could only turn up this thread: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=1575&highlight=nintendo with very old information.
I was looking at something like the Linksys e3500 or Netgear WNDR 3700. Is what I want to do possible with either of these? I currently have a Linksys E1200 and while there is a "guest netowrk" it falls under the same security type as the home network which does me no good.
Thanks.

Just remember if you enable WEP, it will be the weak point in your wireless security.

You can't set both radios on a dual-band router to the same band. If you set 2.4 GHz to WEP, then you would need to use 5 GHz for WPA. By the way, you should be using WPA2/AES if you have 802.11n clients. Otherwise you limit link rates to 54 Mbps.

Most other routers with guest network capability other than Cisco Linksys will let you set separate security on each SSID. Look at Buffalo, D-Link, etc.

Another way to go is guy a cheap single-band router, convert it to an AP and set it to WEP. Be sure to set it to a different channel and SSID from your main router, using channels 1, 6, 11.

Get a router with multiple SSID's that also supports network isolation and wireless client isolation, to prevent anyone who may break into the wep SSID from getting to your main network or listening in on the clients connected to the wep SSID. Also if possible, put the wep SSID on a schedule to be turned on only when you son needs it and off the rest of the time to limit any chance of bandwidth theft.

The DS is 802.11b, and support WEP only - one could configure a newer router/AP on the guest net, but this is a VLAN, it's still the same radio, and "b" STA's will impact other G and N devices attached to that AP.

Tim's recommendation about using a second AP, configured B/G, and having a robust WEP password is probably the best solution...

Alternately - finding the rather rare Nintendo WiFi Connector - it's a decent solution if you can source one up - requires a PC running WinXP for the softAP functions...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector&clk_rvr_id=351813960717

Also note that the DS supports AOSS - so Buffalo/Melco devices can set up robust WEP links - robust being relative of course...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!